BR Swindon Type 1 0-6-0 Diesel-Hydraulic Locomotives - Class 14

Strathwood

• RMweb Gold

The next great title in this series from Pen & Sword is set for release on 30 March 2022 with a RRP of £30.00 so we thought we would set the internet alight with our special pre-release order price of just £22.99 which appears as of today to be the most competitive price on the web for this book.

This price is ONLY for pre-orders and will revert to the RRP of £30.00 for all orders after release.

Full details: https://strathwood.co.uk/products/rrp-30-00-due-out-30-march-2022-pre-order-special-price-is-just-22-99-br-swindon-type1-0-6-0-diesel-hydraulic-locomotives-class-14-their-life-on-british-railways

345141056_PSCLASS14.jpg.b7c1cb4f3139ca48617a46592ba4abdb.jpg

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's going to be a race as to whether the book will arrive before my Minerva Models class 14:laugh_mini:.

I have a couple of 4mm kits but they are WAY down the to-do list. I'm actually hoping this book can help me pick which ones to eventually build.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wished I had gone to see them more on the Ashington system, no excuse as I had family members who lived and worked there with the NCB, shame on me for that error of judgement back in the 1970s. But I did make several visits to Corby, always on a weekend so missed them at work. Great as a spotter as they were all parked up in the sheds, just as well as any attempts to get into the steel works area would have been difficult as would finding them all out on the system on foot. Then it was a case of decoding their new internal numbers back to their D95xx numbers to see if you had copped anything new. Those same Corby visits would also include a trip to Cransley to rummage about in the scrapyard to see what was about.

Happy Days.

Kevin

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Strathwood said:

I wished I had gone to see them more on the Ashington system, no excuse as I had family members who lived and worked there with the NCB, shame on me for that error of judgement back in the 1970s. But I did make several visits to Corby, always on a weekend so missed them at work. Great as a spotter as they were all parked up in the sheds, just as well as any attempts to get into the steel works area would have been difficult as would finding them all out on the system on foot. Then it was a case of decoding their new internal numbers back to their D95xx numbers to see if you had copped anything new. Those same Corby visits would also include a trip to Cransley to rummage about in the scrapyard to see what was about.

Happy Days.

Kevin

As noted above, a second volume detailing their years in industry and beyond would be a welcome follow in, and more substantial than the first.

The Corby locos did operate at weekends when required, regularly on a Saturday morning. When the Glendon East trip was running, the wagons were tripped out of Lloyds yard into the Wood sidings and it was common for the quarries to be operational on Saturdays. Permanent way work continued as well, most of these operations could be seen from various “public” vantage points.

Why I never photographed any of it is beyond me, I guess it was taken for granted and as the locos didn’t appear in my Combined Volume, there seemed little point in chasing them but I’ve spent much of the last 40 years wandering over what little remains and regretting that I’d not taken more notice.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

15 hours ago, RANGERS said:

As noted above, a second volume detailing their years in industry and beyond would be a welcome follow in, and more substantial than the first.

The Corby locos did operate at weekends when required, regularly on a Saturday morning. When the Glendon East trip was running, the wagons were tripped out of Lloyds yard into the Wood sidings and it was common for the quarries to be operational on Saturdays. Permanent way work continued as well, most of these operations could be seen from various “public” vantage points.

Why I never photographed any of it is beyond me, I guess it was taken for granted and as the locos didn’t appear in my Combined Volume, there seemed little point in chasing them but I’ve spent much of the last 40 years wandering over what little remains and regretting that I’d not taken more notice.

That explains why there always seemed to be one or two missing on a weekend, as a West London lad it was always late morning or lunchtime by the time we arrived in Kettering and Corby by train and a bus ride (a Lowdekka as I recall), I had put it down to one or two being stabled in the steel works along with some of the 08s on weekends.

Another regret was not going to see the Woodhead route more during weekdays, too many visits on Saturdays and not enough during school holidays during the week instead, likewise for us London lads it was a hike to get to either Rotherham then for another bus out to Wath or to Piccadilly and a 506 out to Guide Bridge, more of life's missed opportunities sadly. We did explore Manvers Main one Saturday afternoon to track down all the ex-BR shunters lurking in the place. Always remember the air tasted and smelt of eggs from all the sulphur pollution back in the early 1970s around there.

Kevin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I saw several of the Teddies in the Carriage Works sidings at Doncaster Station Plant during their transfer from the WR to Hull, one batch was delivered to 36A loco shed and stabled at the fuel point,  one 36A driver only used to 08 shunters  was very suspicious of these WR  strangers, he had no previous knowledge of their existence,  he  asked lots of questions about them and duly satisfied by our answers which included Hull Dairycoates concluded  they  were "not a threat" to 36A,  he then  insisted on  taking us into the cab  where he tried to figure out how to start the loco for a run in the fuel point siding,  His Master key did not fit so no joy for me or my friend.

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

We are shipping customer's copies who took advantage of our pre-order discount, there are a lot of you so please be patient, midnight tonight is your last chance to grab the 23% pre-order special discount as they came in earlier than the expected 30 March.

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/rrp-30-00-due-out-30-march-2022-pre-order-special-price-is-just-22-99-br-swindon-type1-0-6-0-diesel-hydraulic-locomotives-class-14-their-life-on-british-railways

627059742_PSCLASS14.jpg.b1c7d2c7f44515047b9fd0992907c912.jpg

Kevin

Edited by Strathwood

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having now had a chance of a good look through the book I am rather impressed by the standard of the writing and depth of research - a really good job.  Even the captions - one of my favourite areas for picking up errors (sorry) have clearly been well researched although I can't place at Acton the photo of D9521 on page 90 and even Brian Harsnape - who knew Alec Swain well and worked with him on various books (Alec's involvement wasn't always credited) - only noted it as 'London Division yard'.   A96 was the headcode for Yarnton but I didn't know that area and regrettably  can't identify the location but the lineside topography doesn't fit for Acton. 

But it definitely is London Division as the man standing on the left is Stan French, a London Division Traction & Traincrew Inspector who did a lot of (all?) the D95XX training in the Division which  suggests to me that this was a training job and that Alec was along for the ride so to speak.

D9522, page 91, is indeed on the Reading Down pilot which was in the hands of a D95Xx for months around 1965.  i'm not sure when teh Up pilot was withdran but when it went the remain ing pilot was turned over to a 'alarge' loco for a while in order to stand-n for failures hence the D95Xx was no longer of any use on that job.  the Didcot turn worked teh Walingford branch trip for a while (I'm not sure how long) but that was transferred to a Reading based Type 22 turn which worked at one timeout from Reading to Didcot then back covering the wallingford branch on the way but by 1967 when i travelled on it on one occasion  the Didcot bit had been taken  out as Wallingford traffic circulated via Reading West Jcn yard.

• Informative/Useful 3