Hattons in the USA

Farang

For many years I was interested in American models and subscribed to Model Railroader magazine. That interest waned but I may still flip through MR if I see it in WHS.

So I was surprised to see a two-page advert from Hattons in the January issue offering to buy used models, just as in the UK.

Advertising in MR is not cheap. After Hattons has paid for shipping (not cheap) and customs clearance I can't see them making much of a profit on any used models they import.

• RMweb Premium

Assuming that they are importing them to the UK, rather than simply re-selling them in the US?  Or, that it is worthwhile importing them given the limited availability and high cost of new US outline in the UK, and the fact that a lot of desirable models were on limited production runs and now hard to find, especially in N. (Don’t ask my wallet how I know this…)

Advertising in MRR will be pricy, but perhaps not as eye-watering as it once was. Modelling magazines aren’t the power in the US that they used to be.

Richard T

Edited by RichardT
Adding a bit

• RMweb Gold

They seem to have some sort of processing centre in the US for preowned trade-ins according to their site. Not sure if that means much more than a office somewhere but at least means the end user wouldn't be sending things internationally for trade-in.