Wish for more N-gauge models from Revolution

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking particularly of the Siphon at the moment, plus the HUO , as both these Accurascale OO models are on my wishlist. Having had a (presumably) successful tie-up with the Irish firm on the PCV cement wagons, it would be nice to think that more products could result from this link.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd wish for an APT-E but sadly they tried and it never got beyond the EoI stage :(

Other possibilities:

Princess Elizabeth - it's quite surprising that no-one has already done one in N.

Class 08 - Farish did one but it's not DCC compatible.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

Class 08 - Farish did one but it's not DCC compatible.

And I think you will probably find a Farish DCC ready version in the next 6-18 months given they have a DCC ready 03/04 in the shops in the next month.  The 08 having a bit more space might even see lights on the next incarnation.

RevolutioN would be mad to go at an 08 where the only benefit may be the DCC element and probably arrive after a Farish upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

I've been thinking for a few days that more N would be nice across the board, actually just some re-runs from manufacturers would be welcome.

For those people getting into N there's little choice of steam motive power right now. I guess if there's no stock one assumes N is still popular, which can only be a good thing

Edited by maq1988

• RMweb Gold

The reason I've heard for the lack of steam is that N is a relative latecomer to the scene so most of the people modelling in N are relatively young and mostly post-steam. I'm 54 and I have little interest in steam. I'd like a Princess Elizabeth for personal nostalgia relating to the layout my Dad built when I was a boy not because of a particular love for the real thing.

Supposedly N has been growing in popularity because of the shrinking size of UK houses. It does seem to be the case that if you want anything other than a shunting yard you have to go down to N scale in a modern house. A decent length train in N is 800mm long. Presumably in OO it's over 1.5m. Not many people have enough space to accommodate layouts with platforms or goods yards that are two metres long.

And I'd tentatively guess that shunting might be a dying interest. It's not something that happens much on a modern railway so how many will have experienced it and will want to replicate it?

So the future for N could end up being quite bright. It might yet become the dominant gauge. For a while at least :)

Edited by AndrueC
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, AndrueC said:

The reason I've heard for the lack of steam is that N is a relative latecomer to the scene so most of the people modelling in N are relatively young and mostly post-steam. I'm 54 and I have little interest in steam. I'd like a Princess Elizabeth for personal nostalgia relating to the layout my Dad built when I was a boy not because of a particular love for the real thing.

Supposedly N has been growing in popularity because of the shrinking size of UK houses. It does seem to be the case that if you want anything other than a shunting yard you have to go down to N scale in a modern house. A decent length train in N is 800mm long. Presumably in OO it's over 1.5m. Not many people have enough space to accommodate layouts with platforms or goods yards that are two metres long.

And I'd tentatively guess that shunting might be a dying interest. It's not something that happens much on a modern railway so how many will have experienced it and will want to replicate it?

So the future for N could end up being quite bright. It might yet become the dominant gauge. For a while at least :)

I think in the case of RevolutioN it is much more to do with Ben and Mike quite understandably primarily focussing on the models they are familiar with, hence we have seen some rather lovely EMU models amongst others. They freely admit steam is not their area of knowledge/expertise, however for balance we have also seen transition era rolling stock plus the 128 DPU. 

I think the notion that N is a relative newcomer probably misses the mark, N has been around for almost 60 years commercially, and British N started in the mid 1960s so by the time the mid 70s had arrived it was reasonably well catered for (Farish, Lima, Hornby Minitrix). 

I think it is fair to say that the most popular modelling area in N currently remains the steam/diesel transition period, this can be witnessed by the speed with which models sell through in liveries related to the period. Take the example of the Farish 8F, it pretty much cleared the Bachmann warehouse out of BR livery on release. Green diesel feature too, look at the most recent sound enabled Farish 31, you can get more recent liveries quite readily still, but try to find a BR green one....

Dapol are re re-running a number of steam models, Sonic will soon release their second steam loco the J50, with (according to their distributor Rails of Sheffield) further plans as yet undisclosed beyond that. 

What is true is that Bachmann/Farish, the biggest provider of steam models in British N, seem not only to have taken their eye off the ball in N generally, but in spite of a significant existing range already tooled steam locos they have failed to maintain any vestige a of supply. Now there may be many reasons for this, not least Covid and Far East supply issues, but also parent company Kader Industries who may well dictate production priorities. Probably a mix of all.  However I do not believe there is any lack of demand for steam, what there is (hopefully just currently) is a lack of supply. I am hoping that as well as new tool in quarterly announcements there will also be more re-runs announced (for example the 4MT Tank has only so far had one batch produced and in two liveries so just 2000 in all) that has to be a prospect.

As to a "Princess" yes, agreed, I have long thought it odd that this has been missed as a RTR model, but let's see. I can't help thinking before that we need a supply of more "boring" mixed traffic locos to be re-established, simple 0-6-0s being at a lower price-point.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I agree for RevolutioN I think we can expect diesels and electrics, and that's fine as there is plenty for them to go at when it comes to units and freight stock perhaps even some Mk2bs (hint hint).  Maybe the 313 will also morph into a 507/508 in due course (bigger hint hint).

They introduced Sonic to the UK and it was clearly a tilt towards N gauge steam where we have had one loco so far with more on the way and also a break out into OO as well.  WIth a tie up with Rails I think the future is rosier on the steam side of things, but don't expect an avalanche of new products.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Adamphillip said:

I’d love to see a new class 90 and class 700 EMU, otherwise I’m not sure what locos or units there are gaps in the market for.

Plenty of BR DMU types surburban, outer suburban and inter city types without even starting on the more recent stuff - a class 185 would suit WCML, ECML and Trans Pennine lines, a class 175 for Wales and the Northwest.  EMUs - a 310/312 would be popular alongside the other EMUs on their way.

Locomotivewise there is really on the class 15 and class 16 left, oddballs perhaps outside RevolutioN's span and suited perhaps to Rapido after the class 28.

53 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Plenty of BR DMU types surburban, outer suburban and inter city types without even starting on the more recent stuff - a class 185 would suit WCML, ECML and Trans Pennine lines, a class 175 for Wales and the Northwest.  EMUs - a 310/312 would be popular alongside the other EMUs on their way.

Locomotivewise there is really on the class 15 and class 16 left, oddballs perhaps outside RevolutioN's span and suited perhaps to Rapido after the class 28.

Not to forget the Baby Deltic too!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Class 180's haven't been done either.

siphon g, huo, pta, tua. ..  maybe some other accurascale wagons shrunk down... 

looking forward to seeing which 1st gen dmu they are going to produce as well... 

thank god we have revolution (and now rapido, kato and sonic) entering the n gauge market to liven it up and offer farish and Dapol some competition... 

keep up the good work ben and mike

tim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Revolution Mike said:

Particularly units there's loads to do from the late 50s to present! We've already got at least two unannounced units in CAD with another in the research phase ;-)

Didn't take long for the new boy to start looking at HSTs then....?

• Funny 2

22 hours ago, bluedepot said:

siphon g, huo, pta, tua. ..  maybe some other accurascale wagons shrunk down... 

looking forward to seeing which 1st gen dmu they are going to produce as well... 

tim

Well Revolution said that they were going to use the Class 128 chassis for another DMU and someone on here pointed out that only the Class 118 has the same chassis length so...

Edited by montyburns56

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Well Revolution said that they were going to use the Class 128 chassis for another DMU and someone on here pointed out that only the Class 118 has the same chassis length so...

The others that are exactly 64'6" are the Derby Heavyweight 114s, Swindon 120s and 126s, plus the Dapol produced Pressed Steel 121s and Gloucester 122s.

The suburban families are all 64' (115-118 and 127) and the Swindon 123s and 124s are between 64'9" and 64'11".

So give or take 1mm, there are quite a few options there....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

thanks dave for info on dmu lengths! 

i think some of the more distinctive classes from those you mentioned above would be popular.  i quite like the faces of the 120 myself, but also i know the trans penine 124 are popular too. anyway we shall see! 

tim

• RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2022 at 10:51, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Would love to see if a version of the CO2 or LPG 4 wheel tank could be done. Fairly widespread across the country but there are quite a few types IIRC- so I guess that care would need to be taken to get the most common ones to allow for best return. 

Other model I’d love to see is the PRA clay wagon…..

We might be lucky and get the PRA in N gauge scaled down as an EFE release, similar to the other Kernow clay wagon (still got fingers crossed that the PBA Clay Tiger will get shrunk too)

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Rainbow Railways exclusive TUAs shrunk to 2mm

Other RTR wagons that I'd buy would be:

PWA fertiliser vans

PHV ICI Hoppers

TEA BOC Tanks

JGA RMC Hoppers (1990 RFS version)

PGA (Peakstone PG005A Version)

PGA (Yeoman/ARC PG006 & PG013 versions)

JHA ARC low track force hoppers

Hbfis Ford Vans (to complement the Silcock Express Cartic-4)

VDA (surprised Bachmann not done this)

And a breakdown crane suitable for the 80's/90's

Not much to ask for is it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm probably repeating myself but would MK1 suburban emus be attractive? I know that there were  differences between the various designs In AC and DC but some had later lives working away from  their original haunts.........

Gerry

• Like 1

On 16/01/2022 at 17:27, woodenhead said:

If Revolution was to produce a 175 in 'N', I'd be hoping for a 'OO' version to follow it!

Edited by CazRail

• RMweb Gold

Class 755/3 & 4 for me please!

Couldn't help but be slightly disappointed that Hornby announced it as that pretty much rules it out from the likes of Farish or Dapol, so Revolution are my last hope ;):D

Tom. 

9 minutes ago, TomE said:

Class 755/3 & 4 for me please!

Couldn't help but be slightly disappointed that Hornby announced it as that pretty much rules it out from the likes of Farish or Dapol, so Revolution are my last hope ;):D

Tom. 

Help us Obi Wan Ando, you are our only hope :D

• Funny 4

As we are wish listing, I will add my usual requests for a new 90 and a 325, and some OTP. The Harsco Rail Grinder would be a relatively simple one to start with as it’s nice and boxy. The price of an RTR tamper such as the 09-3X or similar would likely be horrifyingly expensive but the Grinder shouldn’t be too bad.

David 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2