Wish for more N-gauge models from Revolution

Crepello

MK2B/C coaches would be top of my list from Revolution.

I can't imagine Farish will be planning those, given how long it took the MK2Fs to appear and given the length of time that they wait for re-runs of 'bread and butter' MK1/MK2 TSO liveries.

Edited by 47475

I think the main problem with steam availability is that manufacturers focus on too many companies and geographical areas for anyone to put together a representative stud of locos for any particular line. Even important and common Midland locos like the 3F and 2P can't be had in modern form. Many Standards are also missing or no longer available. The result is it's impossible even to properly stock a very mainstream mainline LMR layout, let alone anything obscure.

The other problem is some very indifferent  mechanisms - the Dapol small Prairie for example, essential for the GWR. Even those with generally better mechanisms can be very hit and miss. I tried three 4Fs at a model shop before I found one that ran well out of the box. The situation is made worse by the fact some smaller locos still aren't designed to be DCC compatible which is just bizarre in 2022.

20 hours ago, Ilambie said:

Personally id love to see an N gauge RTR model of the MRA's. Or 380/385's in that lovely Scotrail Saltire livery

Hi Gang,

That would be my choice too….great minds etc etc..

Later,

Stu from EGVN

I’m sure it hasn’t been mentioned but surely a modern Class 91/MK4/DVT would be high on the wish list for many modern image N gauge modellers. From a business perspective, DMUs like 175 or 185 would allow RevolutioN to work alongside another manufacturer to offer both N and 00 gauge.

From my own selfish wishlist, would love to see an APT-P done

1 hour ago, Drew-1986 said:

I’m sure it hasn’t been mentioned but surely a modern Class 91/MK4/DVT would be high on the wish list for many modern image N gauge modellers. From a business perspective, DMUs like 175 or 185 would allow RevolutioN to work alongside another manufacturer to offer both N and 00 gauge.

From my own selfish wishlist, would love to see an APT-P done

The Cavalex Class91 plus Mk4s is still in the running subject to demonstrable demand.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fezza said:

I think the main problem with steam availability is that manufacturers focus on too many companies and geographical areas for anyone to put together a representative stud of locos for any particular line. Even important and common Midland locos like the 3F and 2P can't be had in modern form. Many Standards are also missing or no longer available. The result is it's impossible even to properly stock a very mainstream mainline LMR layout, let alone anything obscure.

The other problem is some very indifferent  mechanisms - the Dapol small Prairie for example, essential for the GWR. Even those with generally better mechanisms can be very hit and miss. I tried three 4Fs at a model shop before I found one that ran well out of the box. The situation is made worse by the fact some smaller locos still aren't designed to be DCC compatible which is just bizarre in 2022.

Some regions fare better than others, for example the LMS and therefore BR LMR is pretty well covered, taking into account releases since circa 2000 I can list the ones below, the main issue is current availability and whether we will see re-runs or upgrades of tender-driven Farish locos. In terms of performance, I really can't find a lot wrong with the latest Farish coreless motor locos and most of the tender-driven were OK too, with Dapol a mixed experience, newer models being much better, the Sonic 56xx runs beautifully. Union Mills locos are robust powerful haulers and I think slow running has been improved in the most recent (new motor?). All those with an asterisk have a DCC socket.

• Bachmann/Farish: -  Jinty*, Fairburn*, 4F 0-6-0*, Ivatt 2MT tender loco*, 8F*, Black Five*, Scot*, Jubilee*, Duchess*.
  • Dapol: - Ivatt 2MT Tank.
  • Union Mills: - G2 0-8-0, 7F 0-8-0, 2F 0-6-0, 3F 0-6-0, 2P 4-4-0, "Cauliflower" 0-6-0, LNWR 4-6-0.

Plus BR Standards: -

• Bachmann/Farish: -3MT Tank*, 4MT Tank*, 4MT 2-6-0*, 5MT 4-6-0*.
  • Dapol: Britannia, 9F.

GW: -

• Bachmann/Farish: - 64xx Pannier*, Castle*.
  • Dapol: - 14xx, 57xx Pannier*, Manor*, Grange*, Hall*, 28xx 2-8-0*, small Prairie.
  • Sonic: - 56xx*
  • Union Mills: Dean Goods 0-6-0, Collett 0-6-0, "Dukedog" 4-4-0, "City" 4-4-0.
  • Peco:- Collett 0-6-0*(DCC fitted).

Southern: -

• Bachmann/Farish: - C Class*, N Class*, Merchant Navy*.
  • .Dapol: - Q1, M7, Terrier, Schools 4-4-0*.(Promised) WC Pacific*.
  • Union Mills: - T9 4-4-0, Q 0-6-0 I think, plus another 0-6-0 tender loco?

LNER: -

• Bachmann Farish: - J39* and B1*, A1* and A2*, plus WD 2-8-0* many of which went to the ER.
  • Dapol: - B17*, B1*, A3* and A4*.
  • Sonic: - J50* (Soon to be released).
  • Union Mills: - J25, J26, J27, J39 and J38 0-6-0s, D20 4-4-0, D11 "Director" 4-4-0, D16/3 4-4-0, B12 4-6-0.

There are gaps but it's still a reasonable selection, even if you discount Union Mills which can actually scrub up quite well.

Based on the above list I would flag the following omissions: -

• LMS: - "Crab" 2-6-0, Stanier 2-6-0, "Flying Pig" 2-6-0, Patriot, Princess.
  • BR: - Standard 2MT 2-6-0 tender loco and 2-6-2 Tank, 4MT 4-6-0.
  • GW: - Large Prairie, Mogul, King.
  • SR: - Lord Nelson 4-6-0, Rebuilt MN, Rebuilt West Country.
  • LNER: - V1/V3 tank loco,  L1 Tank Loco, J72 Tank Loco, K3, K1. 

However on reflection (and having typed all of the above) this is probably not the best manufacturer or thread to move this any further on in :scratchhead:.

Roy

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mike Harvey said:

The Cavalex Class91 plus Mk4s is still in the running subject to demonstrable demand.

Sorry, hadn’t realise Cavalex had come out and said they were still looking at it. Thanks

Really feel if that project got off the ground, the Class 89 project would gain further traction and vice versa

Edited by Drew-1986