Layout on a turntable.

ianp

I'd like to build a small circular layout in HOm gauge, depicting a French rural scene or village with a train line running round it. But what I'd really like to do is place the entire layout (about 80cm in diameter) on a revolving platform (a bit like a microwave platter), so that at an exhibition the entire layout would revolve slowly to give viewers a better view of everything in the scene. Has anyone ever seen this, or done this, and how? Any suggestions about how I could find and then operate such a platter or turntable? Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

I've seen it done on a larger layout. No idea how it was done as it was a long time ago, possibly at the Bristol exhibition whilst it was still in the docks. 

Yes, you can buy bearing of that type up to quite large diameters, I’ve got one tucked away for making another turntable for a layout, and that is I think 450mm diameter and would happily take a much larger layout riding on it. 

If you make the baseboard a true circle, the easiest way to drive it using a motor fitted with a small rubber wheel to drive the perimeter. That instantly gives the sort of gearing ratio you need, and with a motor speed controller, all is fine.

Someone used to exhibit a layout like this where they would coordinate train speed and layout speed, so that the train remained stationary, and the scenery passed by - very effective!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, I've seen one or two of these at exhibitions (probably 20 years ago) and they are a very nice way of presenting a layout and a different approach to the other 99% in the hall.

As Nearholmer says it works best if the train speed and layout speed are the same. It's almost reminiscent of watching the scenery go by while riding in the train.

I'd imagine that a small copse of trees in the middle of the circle might be all that was needed for a backdrop?

A couple of examples from a local show.

This is an interesting one. The loco is not powered. The table is on a slight tilt and rotates. The train (obviously) is very free-running and stays on the lowest point of the circle:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rotating+model+railway+youtube&client=safari&hl=en-ca&ei=z93hYbzLBbzE0PEPz5Ge8Aw&oq=rotating+model+railway+youtube&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAMyCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeOgUIIRCgAUoECEEYAVC0vQFYsdUBYKrbAWgAcAB4AIABYogBvAWSAQE4mAEAoAEBwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:2ef15d92,vid:yO_I99P9oZs,st:0

And here’s a small circular layout, built mainly to display the builder’s hand-made trees, kits for which were for sale:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2015/post-1771-0-89737600-1426477210.jpg