Class 26, 27 and 33 battery box/Fuel Tanks

ianwales

Is the fuel tank/battery box area on the classes 26 and 27 the same as the class 33? The reason for asking is my modelling is migrating north and I have a couple of Dapol N gauge class 33's which I was wondering if I get class 26 or 27 bodies would the underframe be correct for a straight body swop. I'm thinking of BR Blue around 1980ish if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Ian

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, ianwales said:

I was wondering if I get class 26 or 27 bodies would the underframe be correct for a straight body swop.

There are differences between all 3 and between different eras - quick search on Google images will show.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium

Brian Daniels has a lot of detail pics on his Flickr page. Obviously more recent condition examples which may have been modified from original condition:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/collections/72157627015269016/

Brush Veteran has lots of pics to compare from the green/blue 'transition' era:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/collections/72157627649183499/

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

there are 2 different types of battery box for the class 26, the 33 had a completely different design battery box on top of that....fuel tank wise 33s are entirely different...remember 33s were ETH from new so did not have a water tank, which 26s and 27s did they also have a fuel tank which shares space with battery box and the remainder of the space (pre-dual braking) was taken up with a water tank. When the 26s were dual braked they lost water tank and the boiler.

Edited by pheaton

• RMweb Premium

Which cl.26s gained the compressor tank (in a space-frame) in the former water tank space?

Was it just the MGR ones (001-7) or was it a general air-brake fitting?

I suppose, leading from that query, did any dual-brake 26s retain their boilers or did the AB eqpt go in the former boiler space?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, keefer said:

Which cl.26s gained the compressor tank (in a space-frame) in the former water tank space?

Was it just the MGR ones (001-7) or was it a general air-brake fitting?

I suppose, leading from that query, did any dual-brake 26s retain their boilers or did the AB eqpt go in the former boiler space?

All of them the boiler area was taken up by an extra compressor and the water tank space was taken up by the extra main reservoir air tanks. No class 26s retained their boilers.

Edited by pheaton
  • Thanks 1