As yet un-named narrow gauge line thingy.

CotBob

• RMweb Gold

So at the moment all there is are a small handful of locos a smattering of stock and some Peco 009 settrack.  I have about 2'6" by about 6' or there about and a plan.Blackmoorish.jpg.ec0eaf1ab3415398c83b37c119284d96.jpg

As all can see it bears a very passing likeness to Blackmore on the L&B but since it is settrack and only six feet long the resemblance is more or less incidental.  Some factors in choosing this are track that I have, and the stock.  I like bogie coaches and three is a nice number of them to run in a train, the platform loop is long enough for three Peco L&B coaches and the almost ubiquitous Fairlie.

At the left hand end there is to be a tunnel in a bit of a hill with a mine on the far side, that collection of buildings towards the right are to represent some sort of farm.  I probably need to move the siding behind the farm to the other end of the layout and shorten the loop at the back.  Oh points will be by Seep pm1, I think, they are buried in a box somewhere, I have a myriad of them recovered from my late father's line, and other control by DCC.  I have failed to get anyrail to draw anything relating to geography so the whole thing looks flatter than I want at the moment.  Some aspects of the plan seem good but in some ways I find it slightly unsatisfying, fortunately as yet it is only committed to anyrail and my head so changes are easy to do at this point.

My main problem is the straightness of everything, but again my use of mainly settrack does make that a hard nut to crack.  The other sticking point in my head is an excuse for Baldwin 4-6-0's and Ffestiniog Fairlie with a very L&B like layout, longish straight platforms, and so far mostly Peco L&B stock.  This comes from buying things in an appallingly ad hoc manner so the coaches and few waggons were bought first followed by a Narrow Planet Hudswell Clarke to go on the F&C 0-4-0.  That loco came to grief when it was knocked off the previous line, so neither it nor the line joined us when we moved to the new house last year.  Then came Peggy the only Baldwin then available when I had some cash, then the Narrow Planet RNAD Baguley, some more money came in and Sid was available, at least it has Southern livery so is a good match for southern period L&B stock.  The Fairlie was impossible not to buy.  Neither is the Peco/Kato Prince I am waiting for, nor the Bachmann Dorothea, every 009 modeler needs a Quarry Hunslet or several.

Any comments and recommendations are welcome.  Below is the current locomotive stud and a selection of passenger stock.

SomeStock.jpg.67fe6a8934886a0acc87f27a31c3ac03.jpg

Edited for foolishness.

Edited by CotBob
  • Like 4

As you are based in the North West ?  why not try to come over to the NG gatherings in Rainford.

Merseyside &SWest Lancs Group,   next gatherings is Saturday 26th February starting at  12.30pm

Corpus Christi Church Hall,  Alfred Street,  Rainford WA11 8BY.

A number of well known 009 modellers frequent the place, if you have any questions, just ask, they are

always willing to help.

Stan Williams.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, stan williams said:

As you are based in the North West ?  why not try to come over to the NG gatherings in Rainford.

Merseyside &SWest Lancs Group,   next gatherings is Saturday 26th February starting at  12.30pm

Corpus Christi Church Hall,  Alfred Street,  Rainford WA11 8BY.

A number of well known 009 modellers frequent the place, if you have any questions, just ask, they are

always willing to help.

Stan Williams.

I have seen them advertised, but for the last few months they have coincided with weekends that have me at the grindstone, or coal face of some strange form of employment.  I do check each announcement as they are announced and as soon as circumstances allow will indeed be there.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nile said:

Have you seen the new 009 layout project they are doing in Hornby Magazine? It started in the January issue. Similar to what you are planning, but 2ft longer.

I have indeed seen it, makes my effort look a bit, well toy train but I was hoping too improve that with phenomenal scenic work.  Once I have cleared and decorated the space I am to build it in and got some baseboards, and laid some track, and wires etc.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Nile said:

I think you could emulate the curviness along the long sides by using flexitrack there, but keep the setrack curves at the ends for convenience. 

Thanks Neil, I will give it some thought.  I have to say I have been much impressed by your own modelling.  So far I have not got even started with simple weathering of stock so your manipulations and modifications are a wonder to me.  I have a lot to live up to with many excellent examples on RMWeb.  Even amongst those rather strange "Standard" gauge modellers.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well thinking on Nile's advice about flexing the long sides I have come up with the following modification on the original plan.

Blackmoorish2.jpg.3b6a7189986d595d7b8e2f2ad3e5c2b8.jpg

The main changes are to use flexitrack for the platform and long siding along the back, though that may be better shortened a little, the farm thing is moved to on top of the hill which I can't persuade anyrail to rendera road will wind from the front left through the farmyard, down the hill behind the station and off to the left where a small coalmine will be located and over the line by level crossing and the right towards the back of the board.

This will achieve a bit of curviness and hopefully add some interest.  As a by product there is also a little more land in between the edge of the board and the line for platforms and such like stuff.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CotBob said:

Well thinking on Nile's advice about flexing the long sides I have come up with the following modification on the original plan.

The main changes are to use flexitrack for the platform and long siding along the back, though that may be better shortened a little, the farm thing is moved to on top of the hill which I can't persuade anyrail to rendera road will wind from the front left through the farmyard, down the hill behind the station and off to the left where a small coalmine will be located and over the line by level crossing and the right towards the back of the board.

This will achieve a bit of curviness and hopefully add some interest.  As a by product there is also a little more land in between the edge of the board and the line for platforms and such like stuff.

I think that will look a bit more natural once the scenery is on. Before it looked too 'train set'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, CotBob said:

Hi @CotBob, this looks really interesting - the plan makes very good use of the space saving with Narrow Gauge.  Given the limited range of Setrack pieces (compared to standard gauge Peco ranges), this looks like a very attractive design to me.

If I might offer just a couple of observations from a similar track planning exercise I did for H0e last year that may help (or feel free to ignore them of course):

• I agree with @Nile on the benefits of adding some Flextrack - it is a bit more time and effort for track laying, but I found the visual difference to be well worth it when I’d finished, even on the simple test circuit layout I built.
  • Do you know your maximum planned train length?  As well as making sure the trains fit comfortably into the passing loops, it can be worth checking the distance between the two stations around the end curves.  If you can get it so the train has clearly left one station before it arrives in the other one, it can help make the layout look more railway-like.  The way you have the sidings means this won’t be an issue when shunting with this plan (which I’d say is good).
  • You probably know this, but worth noting for anyone looking at the plan before stepping into Narrow Gauge: the 9” radius for Setrack curves and points used here are fine for a lot of Narrow Gauge rolling stock and locomotives, including the Bachmann Fairlies, but won’t cater for everything - I believe Heljan specify a 12” minimum radius for their L&B locomotives.  Peco Streamline Narrow Gauge medium and large points are big enough, but not the Setrack.  Just worth being aware of.

I’d also echo @stan williams’ invitation to the Rainford gatherings: good to know they’re on your radar.  I’ve managed to get to a few already and really enjoyed them, well worth setting aside the time when it becomes possible.

Hope that helps - look forwards to seeing how  this progresses, I’ll follow with interest, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, JZ said:

I think that will look a bit more natural once the scenery is on. Before it looked too 'train set'.

You are quite right, it did have a rather toy train, which was my major concern with the layout as it was.  I feel it will suit better now.

7 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi @CotBob, this looks really interesting - the plan makes very good use of the space saving with Narrow Gauge.  Given the limited range of Setrack pieces (compared to standard gauge Peco ranges), this looks like a very attractive design to me.

If I might offer just a couple of observations from a similar track planning exercise I did for H0e last year that may help (or feel free to ignore them of course):

• I agree with @Nile on the benefits of adding some Flextrack - it is a bit more time and effort for track laying, but I found the visual difference to be well worth it when I’d finished, even on the simple test circuit layout I built.
  • Do you know your maximum planned train length?  As well as making sure the trains fit comfortably into the passing loops, it can be worth checking the distance between the two stations around the end curves.  If you can get it so the train has clearly left one station before it arrives in the other one, it can help make the layout look more railway-like.  The way you have the sidings means this won’t be an issue when shunting with this plan (which I’d say is good).
  • You probably know this, but worth noting for anyone looking at the plan before stepping into Narrow Gauge: the 9” radius for Setrack curves and points used here are fine for a lot of Narrow Gauge rolling stock and locomotives, including the Bachmann Fairlies, but won’t cater for everything - I believe Heljan specify a 12” minimum radius for their L&B locomotives.  Peco Streamline Narrow Gauge medium and large points are big enough, but not the Setrack.  Just worth being aware of.

I’d also echo @stan williams’ invitation to the Rainford gatherings: good to know they’re on your radar.  I’ve managed to get to a few already and really enjoyed them, well worth setting aside the time when it becomes possible.

Hope that helps - look forwards to seeing how  this progresses, I’ll follow with interest, Keith.

Hi Keith, glad you like it, I feel it works better with the flexi bits as the new design.  I have used flexitrack in both 009 and 00 before, I was just trying to make use of what I had got in the spare bin, as it were, as well as making the most of the space in terms of getting stuff in there.

My feeling on train length is three L&B bogie coaches or equivalent and the Fairlie which does indeed just fit the shortest loop.  The second station, at the back is not in fact a station but is just to serve a small colliery which is to be sited at the back right near the spur off the loop.

And lastly, I am very well aware of the limitations of setrack with respect to stock and have selected in in accordance with that limit.  Well mostly the Peco bogie coaches do work through the tight setrack curves but also look a little stressed by the experience, I do have some of the 4 wheel GVT inspired coaches and am waiting for an order of four Victorian purple bug boxes.

Isn't it odd how much the plans can change even before things are started.  The farm at the left hand end has now metamorphosed in my head to be a small village where mine workers might live.  Finding suitable houses, either RTP or as kits is harder than I thought.  Perhaps a Wills craftsman kit to ease my way into scratch building something. 

Ah well onwards and upwards.

• Like 2