Outlaw Paints

Purnu

I’ve recently come across this range of paints from an Australian company.

They list 13 different ‘BR’ colours including Warning Yellow and Gulf Red amongst others. There’s also quite an extensive range of colours for Australian rail operations.

Do any of our members have any experience of this range? 

Thanks for the information. Always interesting to hear another persons views on a product. Is it just the grey you’ve used or any of the other colours in the range?

Out of interest what’s the viscosity like, does it lend itself well to brushing and/or spraying?

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2022 at 01:09, Purnu said:

Thanks for the information. Always interesting to hear another persons views on a product. Is it just the grey you’ve used or any of the other colours in the range?

Out of interest what’s the viscosity like, does it lend itself well to brushing and/or spraying?

It's airbrush ready, though they are new company they'll do a brushing version later on. it's got a very high pigment count so has excellent coverage. send them a message about the paints.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone.

On the subject of GWR Freight Grey, I have a question. I recently bought an RTR Rapido Trains 16T Toad. The grey seems very dark. I have some older kit built wagons which are painted with Railmatch GWR Freight Grey enamel paint. They are a significantly lighter grey. Can anyone tell me, which is correct? Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Bob Essery in Midland Wagons says that after WW1, the railway bought a large quantity of surlpus battleship grey paint.  This was supplemented by any bits of leftover paint and used for wagon repaints.

This from gwr.org.uk is probably as definitive as any:

The exact shade of [GWR] dark grey is somewhat unknown, but is likely to have varied. It is thought the GWR used a mix of black to white in a 7:1 ratio. Didcot Railway Centre uses a mix in a 14:1 ratio, but this is intentionally overdark to allow for the effects of ageing and fading. Precision Paints P19 is generally regarded as a good 'ex-works' colour. Goods vehicles were rarely, if ever, cleaned, and in service the grey would fade considerably and get a lot grubbier.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dpgibbons said:

This from gwr.org.uk is probably as definitive as any:

@dpgibbons Spookily enough, I read the self same section of the GWR Modelling web site this morning so a big thank you for highlighting it. That website is very useful and very user-friendly. I would repaint with Phoenix Precision paint but, living in Malaysia, I have no means of shipping enamel paint. So, the sad truth is my older wagons have faded in the watery, Welsh sunshine and my little Welsh workmen originally mixed their paint to the 'some and plenty' formula! {;-) As @turbos succinctly points out, most of the care was lavished on the public face of the company.

Edited by Rowan
correcting grammar

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/10/2023 at 14:29, Rowan said:

Hi everyone.

On the subject of GWR Freight Grey, I have a question. I recently bought an RTR Rapido Trains 16T Toad. The grey seems very dark. I have some older kit built wagons which are painted with Railmatch GWR Freight Grey enamel paint. They are a significantly lighter grey. Can anyone tell me, which is correct? Cheers.

The Rapido one. Railmatch paints are quite renowned for their inaccuracy. Rapido actually put a lot of research into getting colours correct.

I would repaint with Phoenix Precision paint but, living in Malaysia, I have no means of shipping enamel paint

Humbrol 67 Tank Grey is a good (if a bit lighter) representation that people often use and available in acrylics if you can get them shipped to you.

Edited by 57xx