Peco expansion

rab

Beer’s famous model railway manufacturing company Peco has recently opened a new 260 square metre factory space to expand productivity as global demand for its products increase.

The former indoor soft play area at Pecorama – the tourist attraction adjoining the Peco manufacturing site – has had a complete refit and is now a vital production area, including point assembly lines, miniature welding, packing and printing stations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Beer’s famous model railway manufacturing company Peco has recently opened a new 260 square metre factory space to expand productivity as global demand for its products increase.

The former indoor soft play area at Pecorama – the tourist attraction adjoining the Peco manufacturing site – has had a complete refit and is now a vital production area, including point assembly lines, miniature welding, packing and printing stations.

As shown in progress during their video update on YouTube a few months back,:-

https://youtu.be/cpOxSb9Bh9A

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I presume Peco's management will have seen the monetary value from the usage of the play area versus using it for production, and made a decision that production made more financial sense. That suggests the usage of the play area just wasn't worth keeping it going.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Is it not great that rather than moving production abroad Peco for some time now  have been investing in their own facilities of design and production, and now increasing it further

Hornby on the other hand are repurposing their old factory into a museum 

Partly because Peco's products lend themselves to production in the UK - Hornby's highly detailed and complex ones, do not. None of Peco's RTR locos have ever been made in the UK, for instance.

Also, Hornby are not repurposing their old factory into a museum. The person who owns it, and rents office space to Hornby is doing that. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Peco has been a well run family business which both seems to have escaped being swallowed up by a larger concern and slowly built up several well thought of and popular ranges, their investment in their businesses in recent years seems far away from the mindset of many companies throughout most industries in the UK in keeping everything in house rather than outsource as much as possible to gain a short term financial advantage. Good luck to them, and of course to the new management in Hornby

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

Yes well done Peco. It’s great to see a company that has kept most production in the UK and has kept itself as a family owned business doing well. 
Pecorama is a kind of add on to the core business so it makes sense that Peco manufacturing gets priority. 
I have taken the grandchildren to Pecorama twice. Both times we planned to stay a few hours but ended up being there all day. I am sure that, even without the soft play area there is enough to keep most families happy for most of the day.

The soft play area also housed a large brio set.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I presume Peco's management will have seen the monetary value from the usage of the play area versus using it for production, and made a decision that production made more financial sense. That suggests the usage of the play area just wasn't worth keeping it going.

There's also the issue of cleaning more regularly and intensively in a 'post-Covid' world, meaning the 'soft-play' becomes more costly to operate.

• Agree 6

I'm sure needing more production space was the driver for the change and cleaning costs merely an incidental. Lets face it we all moan if we can't get Peco points when we need them so more production facilities is a good thing. I see the indoor restaurant has also been taken out of service, I assume for more production space. This kind of makes Pecorama less of an all weather attraction but really it was always a place to go on a nice day rather than an iffy day. Even though a couple of buildings have been repurposed I still hope to take the grandchildren to Pecorama again this summer; it will still be a grand day out. My grandson loved that Brio upstairs in the soft play building.

1108362021_IMG_20190725_154327(2020_06_0806_12_27UTC).jpg.dbd4d4d9290328c13ad9e2e7aa9a9cfb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2022 at 12:50, Chris M said:

Both times we planned to stay a few hours but ended up being there all day. I am sure that, even without the soft play area there is enough to keep most families happy for most of the day.

Especially Whit Weekend when there's a classis car event on the Sunday ;)