LENZ LZV100 BATTERY

long island jack

I suspect you're being too specific in your search. Soldered in coin cells are readily available. 

However, several people I'd trust suggest replacing the soldered in battery with a holder to take a CR3032.  The battery won't last quite as long (so you'll get seven years rather than ten?), but will be a doddle to replace next time with a standard battery. 

I had this problem recently and phoned A and H for advice. The gentleman recommended leaving the Lenz unit (LZV100 in my case) plugged in for 4 to 5 hrs to give the internal battery a good charge. This certainly worked for me so perhaps worth a try before doing anything else.

• Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, Jeremy Davison said:

Hi, I had this problem with my LZV100 unit. I found that you can get the proper replacement from Farnell and I took a photo so that I could help others in the Preston club.

My unit has worked properly ever since.

I hope that this helps you and others

Cheers

Jeremy

20191013_164705.jpg

Bu**er out of stock!

43 minutes ago, Crosland said:

I am a bit concerned by the conflict between leaving it plugged in to charge the battery and fitting a bog standard coin cell, let alone a lithium cell to replace a rechargeable battery.

According to a source I trust, the original battery inside is a Varta CR2450PCB3, which is a 3v lithium with PCB legs.   
I've no idea why A&H are advising that leaving the LZV100 plugged in could charge such a battery ( just maybe there's another battery which is rechargeable, but that would be an unusual design...).   
Nearest LZV100 I have access to is 50 miles away, so I can't easily look. 

The fault code might indicate battery.  Or it might be something else.  

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, long island jack said:

... or i fit a CR2032 battery holder, will take it to bits, to see how big a job it's going to be and if i'm able to do it.

I had that problem last year. The battery you need is a CR2450-1GU. I managed to find one here without too much difficulty, although they are not exactly common.

https://akkushop-b2b.de/de/cr2450-1gu-lithium-knopfzelle-liegend-printausfuehrung-3er-print/

The battery is soldered to the circuit board by three integrated 'pins', making it awkward to remove. I just cut through the pins and then removed the remains individually with a soldering iron. It's then an easy job to solder on the new battery.

HTH and good luck with finding a replacement,

David

Edited by Kylestrome

6 hours ago, Crosland said:

I am a bit concerned by the conflict between leaving it plugged in to charge the battery and fitting a bog standard coin cell, let alone a lithium cell to replace a rechargeable battery.

What's your concern, the unit is on for 6-7 hours at an exhibition and the CR2450 is a non rechargeable battery, there must be something in the circuity of the Lenz lzv100, to stop the battery getting a charge and blowing up, now thinking about the advice given, the 5 hour charge and reset seems a waste of time, if in deed the battery is dead.

1 hour ago, long island jack said:

more searching came up with this from RS

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/button-batteries/1916772

Looks similar to the (no stock) Farnell item in pin positions, so should fit.  Smaller capacity (600mAh vs 950mAh), so will last approx 60% as long as the (no stock) Farnell item.    However other (no legs) CR2450's are circa 600mAh, so possibly the no-stock item details are incorrect ? 

It is almost 3x the capacity of a typical CR2032, with a Varta coming in at 230mAh (Farnell for data). 

There are holders for normal (no pins) CR2450's, such as this one.  But its a lot more expensive at £5 for the holder, then a battery on top of that.    https://uk.farnell.com/keystone/105/holder-battery-1-cell-24mm/dp/676470?MER=sy-me-pd-mi-acce

- Nigel

Had a look inside the LZV100 yesterday, looks like there's hole already for a battery holder, (wonder why they didn't add one), instead of a battery, it looks like a straight forward job, once you get the battery out, has any body gone down the battery holder replacement, was it as straight forward as it looks.

On 21/01/2022 at 17:34, long island jack said:

What's your concern, the unit is on for 6-7 hours at an exhibition and the CR2450 is a non rechargeable battery, 

I thought my my concern was clearly stated.

The service agent for Lenz was implying that he battery was rechargeable. If that were the case, replacing it with a non-rechargeable would be a bad idea.

It now seems A&H are just plain wrong.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Melly said:

Hi, just trying to resolve similar issue and have ordered batteries; A&H don't have any.  Is the battery in the handset or the LZV 100 unit ?

Inside the LZV100.    It's a soldering job on the main circuit board, either to replace the existing soldered-in battery with another, or to fit a holder for a clip-in equivalent battery.   Fairly simple stuff for those comfortable with such electronics work, but potentially quite scary for others. 

Thanks Nigel. The 5 hour 'recharge' didn't work and I've got a new battery arriving tomorrow. The handset touch pad needs a clean as well, so I'll have them both open I'll guess. I think I forget I bought this system back in 2004 - so it's done really well to survive all these years.  Thanks for the reply.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The CR2450 with 3 pins is available from RS (in stock) at £1.38 each + VAT

(3v 600mA)

EDIT

Spotted it's already been mentioned!

Edited by melmerby

• 3 months later...