Whats the most awkward and difficult engine any one here has had to take apart,repair and put back together.

Hi all

I have just restored a Mainline Dean Goods loco. The repair on the engine was fairly straightforward. It had been sat in one of my spares boxes in pieces for several years. So long infact that I had forgotten I still had it. As usual I found it when I was looking for something else. Taking it apart was easy but putting it back together was the most awkeard I had ever done.  So it made me think whats the most awkward and difficult engine any one here has had to take apart,repair and put back together.

• RMweb Gold

I always found Jouef locos could be quite difficult. Actually quite basic but there are parts that can easily be put back the wrong way round. Good engineering design could have avoided that.

Best were Minitrix despite my then inexperience with N.

• RMweb Gold

Of modern 00 I reckon the Heljan Co-Bo. Incredibly tight body to chassis fit and I'd bet money its impossible to separate the two without breaking the pipework attached to the underframe. Hornby Brits are much easier to take apart than to reassemble too!

• RMweb Premium

Mine has to be an N gauge Dapol pannier tank which was making dreadful screeching noises. A drop of oil on the motor bearings was suggested. Despite being given instructions on how to remove the body, the delicate detail and the fact that the body seemed to have been glued to the chassis caused me to admit defeat before I wrecked it. I don’t think modern N gauge locos are designed to be taken apart! 

The loco continued to screech until it cured itself - touch wood. 

I’m in awe of the people who assemble and repair tiny N gauge tank engines. 

Edited by Silly Moo
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Bachmann 80XXX tank engine. Impossible (almost) to get the body off without breaking the under cab pipework.

I'll second that. I gave up trying to get mine apart in order to convert it to P4. I took out every screw I could find, but just couldn't work out how the body was being held on.

The exploded diagram is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This little beastie, that was fun...!

DSCF0058.JPG.e84fbd6fa2f1678291d91ca1c83f22e4.JPG

Oh, wait, trains? Not so much take apart and repair as rewire the whole thing as nothing worked except the starter motors.

20200805_134433.jpg.dff726c415bd2a85358327b2ec4dddf7.jpg

Oh you meant model trains? Probably one of these beasties - Piko model of a Czech loco I think. I still have it somewhere, but not long after I bought it the motor, er, melted. It has a metal and plastic housing the plastic bit just flopped.

This was when East Germany was still in existence so I had to write a letter in School German, wait for a reply, translate it, find out how to get Ostmarks to the value they requested and send that with a reply again in School German, then wait.

Amazingly the replacement motor arrived, it was a bit fiddly to fit but nothing like getting the thing!

image.png.7303f7911ace34b5fd04e9793baf5f4d.png

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Lone Star OOO (N Gauge ?) Baby Deltic I've been asked to see if there's any chance of reviving. I know nothing about it other than drive (from where ??) to the wheels (Which were loose in a box with no guarantee they belong to this loco) may have been by 'elastic bands'(?), There are of course no instructions/ diagrams.

I can barely see what , if any, 'works' are present inside the cast metal body shell, let alone figure out how I would release them to see if anything could possibly be done.  Nightmare ! 

Regards,

John

3 minutes ago, Brit70053 said:

Lone Star OOO (N Gauge ?) Baby Deltic I've been asked to see if there's any chance of reviving. I know nothing about it other than drive (from where ??) to the wheels (Which were loose in a box with no guarantee they belong to this loco) may have been by 'elastic bands'(?), There are of course no instructions/ diagrams.

I can barely see what , if any, 'works' are present inside the cast metal body shell, let alone figure out how I would release them to see if anything could possibly be done.  Nightmare ! 

Regards,

John

Double ended drive shafts that have rubber bands that loop over the axles. I used rubber teeth brace bands. Come in a packet  with 3 different sizes and, as you would expect, are very hard wearing. :D

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Brit70053 said:

Regards,

John

I know it’s a long way to come but you need to talk to Malcolm Hughes from the Mickleover Club. He’s at this year’s Mansfield Show 5th & 6th March. He has quite a collection of Lone Star OOO

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that information Ian , but unfortunately its not a practical proposition for me to get to the Mansfield show. Is there any possibility you could pass on a request for information (plea for help !) to Malcolm Hughes if I've made no progress before the Exhibition, I'd contact you by PM nearer the time if that is ok.

Thanks again anyway,

John