009 Wagon chassis kits

rynd2it

I have a few wagon bodies of various sizes but no chassis for them. Measuring the floor length I need a couple 45mm long, 1 52mm long and one 58mm, however all I can find with on line searching are Dundas and they seem to be much smaller (42 or 32mm). All I need are 4-wheel chassis, nothing complex.

Thanks

N gauge chassis are often used for 009 wagons. Real narrow gauge wagons rarely had buffers, so they can be cut off and the springs/axleboxes are smaller on narrow gauge wagons anyway, so the difference in scale works in your favour. Some good examples here showing the use of adapted N gauge chassis under 009 wagons;

https://www.009dutch.nl/cdr/main/pages/estock.htm

Andy

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 2mm Andy said:

N gauge chassis are often used for 009 wagons. Real narrow gauge wagons rarely had buffers, so they can be cut off and the springs/axleboxes are smaller on narrow gauge wagons anyway, so the difference in scale works in your favour. Some good examples here showing the use of adapted N gauge chassis under 009 wagons;

https://www.009dutch.nl/cdr/main/pages/estock.htm

Andy

Very interesting, thank you.

I've used quite a few of the old Lima N gauge chassis, the British type used under their vans and mineral wagons. These are fairly chunky so don't look too out of place. Here's some under modified Egger Bahn livestock wagon bodies:

CattleWagons.jpg.63a8a551bf4309ec3dad4c9646036851.jpg

The tie bars and much of the brake gear was removed, simplifying the latter down to single axle brake shoes.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 3

In my opinion N scale stuff doesn't work well for 4mm narrow gauge, it's just a bit too small. Compare N scale wagon chassis to a proper 009 kit and the difference is quite obvious. Narrow gauge was small but it wasn't THAT small. You might be able to get away with it in 3mm scale, or 1:120, but that's about as big as I'd go with it.

I'd say your best bet would probably be to look at Dundas kits here. Their range has a number of wagon chassis, I'd wager at least one of those would be suitable.

15 hours ago, Stoker said:

In my opinion N scale stuff doesn't work well for 4mm narrow gauge, it's just a bit too small. Compare N scale wagon chassis to a proper 009 kit and the difference is quite obvious. Narrow gauge was small but it wasn't THAT small. You might be able to get away with it in 3mm scale, or 1:120, but that's about as big as I'd go with it.

I'd say your best bet would probably be to look at Dundas kits here. Their range has a number of wagon chassis, I'd wager at least one of those would be suitable.

You would lose that wager - I have one wagon which has a floor length of 58mm, largest Dundas chassis around 42mm. I found a couple of N gauge wagons and one that has a long enough wheelbase; I'll see what it looks like when I have tried it

21 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

You would lose that wager - I have one wagon which has a floor length of 58mm, largest Dundas chassis around 42mm. I found a couple of N gauge wagons and one that has a long enough wheelbase; I'll see what it looks like when I have tried it

I was going to suggest Dundas as well - have you thought about lengthening them?

5 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I was going to suggest Dundas as well - have you thought about lengthening them?

I have and it would work but would present some issues with the brake gear etc. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rynd2it said:

Did you take a look at the Tralee & Dingle chassis? IIRC those wagons were about 15 feet long.