Powderham , N gauge circular

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Gold

Hi Well lurking in Wales and now making progress is a circular layout inspired by Powderham near Exeter, bit of seawall and some Metcalfeshire buildings on holiday to Devon.  I was hoping the original builder will see this as it was a previously owned purchase from a gent in Wales who had hoped to encourage his son, but I have lost those contact details.   It was shown running on a little video but this was just for selling as it was not really wired up.  This work has continued slowly but here are a couple of pics.

Stock wise I foresee 800, voyager, Castle HST, couple of sprinters and a freight- perhaps a 66 on PW wagons or oil tanks. The fun would be a pair of XC power cars on test or GWR 57 towing an HST PC. - The middle reversible siding can hold 3 short trains. So a sprinter could shuttle on and off with a short train stood in middle section.    

Track feeds were commoned up and Dapol test HST  ( seemed right for the job) was given a trundle round.  The 25 way socket will be link to removable panel. This allows both halves to be fixed closely together for transport.  The panel will get megapoints route indicator system and being old and grumpy it is a DC layout!  GM controller inserted into board as shown.

There is a back scene to hide the stock sidings and inevitable tea cup rings !  

Hopefully more to show towards end of month with panel in place- if not finished, point motors are fitted but need adjustment to get throw correct.  

513503294_NgaugePowderham010122004.jpg.a030f656976d45a2c026e9d52b40170d.jpg1626208169_NgaugePowderham010122007.jpg.7d6aaf02eb628d94d5e0de8ee10016e7.jpg 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

1919250779_NgaugePowderham010122005.jpg.0d70c22b094eb3853dd8f56f7b979650.jpg335750655_NgaugePowderham010122001.jpg.460e365c40f80b57e295b303867cfcdf.jpg

Two more pics not quite sharp but hope for better next time. But first one shows Exeter end exit  with exit masked with trees overhanging and a bridge.  Second one show Dawlish end with foot crossing- in reality a site of frequent trespass and at least once worse. The layout pic shows the cable links to the continuous live scenic section and the 4 core 16VAC supply from twin transformer box to Gaugemaster controllers and point motors. So it is easy to set up and the board connections are cupboard screw connectors.  I guess in time an MDF travel box on two wheels will allow a public transport option.  

• Like 3