SouthWest by Southern

Peter Bedding

Five baseboards in a square "U" formation. Four of them 1200mm x 600mm, plus one 800mm x 600mm. The sizes are limited to the space available at one end of a spare garage.

All are fabricated from 100mm x 9mm birch ply, glued and pinned as either "L" girder, or "T" girder.

This first photo shows one of the 1200mm frames, right way up. The open space on top will take an insert, 1200mm x 398mm x 9mm on which in turn will be mounted the track.

post-489-127669854364_thumb.jpg

This second photo shows the same frame upside down, with the "T" girders used as cross braces.

post-489-127669858794_thumb.jpg

When assembled, with the frame inserts in place, I shall have a continuous working surface on which to experiment with a track plan. First thoughts on this are an end-to-end of approximately 5.8m length. I have decided on a 1.5m track height

Assembly is happening now in the garage, I took a break to make the photo record.

PB

I laid out the five frames outdoors. When installed in the garage it will not be so easy to see. The two back boards are joined end-on This joint is reinforced by extra plywood fitches front and back. All bolted together. When installed I hope that there is sufficient internal stiffness to avoid any need for a central leg.

post-489-127670933244_thumb.jpg

The five frames laid out in the intended relationship.

post-489-127670950968_thumb.jpg

With the tops in place.

post-489-127670942237_thumb.jpg

Time for an update.

The late CJF made a feature of "L-girder" construction in an article in RM, some while ago. As I recall, the idea then was to make a strongback on which to support one or more baseboards.

I wanted to take the idea further, and create a series of lightweight boards, where the fabricated L girders actually formed the structure (sides and ends).

Numbering the five boards from left to right, numbers two and three span the 8ft gap just inside the garage door. The outer ends rest on wooden battens fastened to the blockwork. I load-tested the assembly, by putting most of my weight on the unsupported centre. So allowing for the test to apply 60kg, and a safety factor of three, I reckon that a safe working load would be 20kg. More than enough for my purposes.

This first photo shows boards two and three in position.

post-489-127757138052_thumb.jpg

(I was quite relieved that they were level, there could easily have been a sense of humour failure if they had not been).

post-489-127757153406_thumb.jpg

Boards 1 (left), and four (right) can be just seen.

The complete assembly and installation was remarkably trouble free, so I thought that I could treat myself to a photo-shoot, and a sample of things to come:

post-489-127757171753_thumb.jpg

T9 number 283, and cross-country lav 3-set number 148 are posed for the occasion.

The South Western shall live on!

This has given me even more interest now that I know it has Southern stock, do you have a trackplan available to put on here?

Colin

Hello Colin,

Thanks for your reply and interest in my Southern theme.

There is not a finished track plan as such, although I have ideas that I wish to shoehorn into the limited space if possible.

At the right hand end of the line I should like to represent a compact London terminus. Like others before me, I like the "Minories" concept. I fancy a hypothetical ex-LSWR terminus in SE11, reached by a short branch off the main line, and a station facing Lambeth Road. (Adjacent to the film set for "Passport to Pimlico". If this idea does not get burned too badly, then the layout might well get titled "Passport to Lambeth".) The main departure of the day would be headed by a King Arthur ("Excalibur") with corridor set 422 rostered at times.

post-489-12777383365_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, there is not a sufficient length of board to place the outer (trailing) crossover on straight double track, and the need for a tight left hand curve makes it impossible to fit it on the bend. So I shall have to modify CJF's design a tad when the station roads reduce to a single track (decently obscured behind some view-blocker.)

I hope this photo gives some idea of the compression necessary.

post-489-127773931786_thumb.jpg

At the country end of the line (left hand end of the layout), I hope I can just squeeze in part of a rural branch terminus, instead of a boring fiddle yard. And what better than "borrowing" Charford? I might be able to hide a carriage storage yard (Berrow-style) behind a screen.

post-489-127773968504_thumb.jpg

Branch line movements, connecting with the daily arrival from London, would include a typical pull-push set, O2 loco on Set 734.

post-489-127773982463_thumb.jpg

This idea also needs some compromises, to hide the tight curve. Work in progress.

The two Southern tableaux are being helped enormously by EFE, OOC, Oxford Diecast and Pocketbond. Trains by courtesy of Bachmann, Hornby, Northstar, Roxey and Wills.

• 1 month later...

This has given me even more interest now that I know it has Southern stock, do you have a trackplan available to put on here?

Colin

With thanks for the kind comments. The past week or two has been spent in trying to squeeze a quart of track into an unwilling pint pot. Some aspirations have been dumped. Starting with the terminus idea on boards four and five, it proved impossible to create a "Minories" type track plan. The stumbling blocks were the double crossovers which were the particular feature of Minories, and essential to connect a two track main line into a three of four platform terminus. Looking for alternative inspiration, I thought of Exmouth, and found that it could fit my limited space. Two single tracks, one main, one branch, come together on a double slip, and then connect to four platform faces.

Like Minories, I have done away with the platform crossovers for loco release, and instead will use a station pilot to move empty stock. On the mainline, (platforms one and two), the arrival platform will be number one; a pilot will pull the empty stock out of the station, and then push it back into platform two. The mainline loco can then disappear to the shed (fiddle yard), and the pilot can park itself out of the way. A mainline departure loco can backdown (from the fiddle yard), couple up, and the depart.

A second sacrifice has been the loco spur. So modellers' licence will allow the use of the branch line for this purpose.

Similar operations can be applied to the branch line, though pull-push working will make for less shunting.

I have been able to keep the tailshunt siding off platform four; as yet I have am unsure as to whether it becomes a goods/parcels/newspaper traffic siding, or a creamery (milk depot).

The first picture below shows how the four platform tracks link (Peco Code 75 large radius) to the double slip. I have used double slips before. Level tracklaying is essential, thereafter reliability is fine.

post-489-128120498198_thumb.jpg

In the second picture, T9 number 283 has pulled Set 148 into the main departure platform. Pull-push fitted 02 number 182 is in the branch platform, with pp Set 734. T9 number 314 waits on the branch line/loco spur, to connect to the mainline departure.

post-489-128120518594_thumb.jpg

The double slip is legitimate!!

post-489-128120523497_thumb.jpg

No wiring has been connected as yet, although the track bus has been started.

The other sacrifice has been the idea of a smaller scenic terminus at the other end of the line. I shall be lucky to get in a fiddle yard.

post-489-128120513279_thumb.jpg

The baseboards look excellent.

I like the Southern / Minories / SE11 terminus combination.

Will you model a broad period or narrow it down to a specific time-slot?

"The other sacrifice has been the idea of a smaller scenic terminus at the other end of the line. I shall be lucky to get in a fiddle yard."

That seems a shame. Just a thought... on Nevile Reid's 'Langton Green' he uses a road overbridge with a mirror underneath to create the illusion of tracks continuing beyond the board. Maybe you could do something similar, and perhaps have carriage sidings in front instead of just a fiddle yard? Pictures here of Langton Green (scroll to the bottom of the page for a series of images).

Either way - good luck with developing your plan.

Really nice workmanship there, Peter, and you seem to have found a source of good quality ply, too.

The L-girder bits going cross-ways underneath must add a lot of rigidity without the need for triangulation. I like that.

You seem to have ended up with a flat-top baseboard, is there any reason why you didn't simply start off with this to begin with?

Hello Simon, and thanks for your interest.

The flat-tops have come about by accident, and your timely comment may well bring about a change to what is currently seen. There has been something of a sword of Damocles hanging over the layout, and which may bring about an early temporary partial dismantling. The rear two baseboards are erected against a pair of internal homebuilt dummy doors, insulating the inside of the up-and-over garage door, part of the original build standard of my railway room/workshop. This up-and-over door has terminal decay. Earlier this year I was faced with the challenge, either to repair or replace. I chose repair, and bought myself some extra time. To my delight, the repairs are holding out, and it could be another five years before I need to dismantle everything, and fix a new outer garage door.

The original intent with the baseboard design was that the framework was structurally complete, and did not require the tops for any rigidity. So I can set the tops above the frames at any dimension that suits. Whilst uncertain about the house maintenance programme, I chose an easy option for the layout, but now I think that I can take a greater risk with time.

So, following your comments, I am now planning the revised construction!

I have added an extra photo to yesterday's posting, to better show the track plan.

post-489-128127757042_thumb.jpg

I love the baseboard design. Looks a simple and easy way of building baseboards. Do you have all you timber cut for you or are you able to cut them yourself. Can you recommand a good supplir of birch ply.

Regards

Alan

Hello Alan, I drew up the plans for the boards, and took them to our village chippy (Julian) for manufacture. Very reliable, and accurate, and I can recommend! Julian sources the ply from a commercial wholesale merchant. There are limited occasions when I use the DIY superstores for timber, but not for ply, or indeed anything where stability and "straightness" is an issue.

If Wessex is accessible to you, then Bradfords in Sherborne seem to have good quality timber, else Yandles in Martock.

Hth, PB

The baseboards look excellent.

I like the Southern / Minories / SE11 terminus combination.

Will you model a broad period or narrow it down to a specific time-slot?

"The other sacrifice has been the idea of a smaller scenic terminus at the other end of the line. I shall be lucky to get in a fiddle yard."

That seems a shame. Just a thought... on Nevile Reid's 'Langton Green' he uses a road overbridge with a mirror underneath to create the illusion of tracks continuing beyond the board. Maybe you could do something similar, and perhaps have carriage sidings in front instead of just a fiddle yard? Pictures here of Langton Green (scroll to the bottom of the page for a series of images).

Either way - good luck with developing your plan.

Thanks for the link to Langton Green, I shall certainly see which ideas I can adopt/adapt.

In answer to your period question, I set off with a timeline for 1946, but very quickly opened it up to the decade before Nationalisation. Trade r-t-r coaches are Northstar for Southern Green, and Hornby Maunsell R4s for lined olive green. These Maunsell coaches in lined olive green are, to me, exquisite. I hope to add to the dozen I have already. I also have a small number of Roxey coaches (including Set 148) assembled by Adam of this forum, and painted by his father, Peter. But I won't be getting Hornby's re-invented "malachite" coaches.. Whatever one's perception of colours, or version railway history, these particular r-t-r's do not ring my bell. Bulleid would turn in his grave.

So, the option of adding some early BR stock does get attractive, particularly as there are so many diecast vehicles available, for this period.

Taking up your point for the fiddle yard, then yes, it sounds good. The length available is a quadrant of between 700mm and 800mm radius, plus a straight of 1200mm. My coaches are up to 250mm long. So some carriage sidings ought to fit.

The real trouble is that I have enough scenic locations in mind to require a Southern Pendon.

PB

• RMweb Premium

Hi. And yes, I am very much an admirer of Treneglos! Both the concept and execution.

I wish I could lay claim to more non-RTR coaching stock. I am not quite sure how to categorise the Northstar part of my collection. It is certainly RTR when I unpack the box in which the model is delivered, although it is not RTR when I declare an intent, and then place an order up to 12 months earlier. The Northstar customers will all testify to the quality, and I mean no disrespect to Adrian when I say that my five Roxey coaches, built by Adam, are equal after making minor allowance for the differences in kit design. Northstar have extruded aluminium roofs. For the Roxey kits I provided Adam with formed styrene sheet roofs, sourced from the SWC. There has been three-plus decades of kit design improvement since the Roxey kits were first marketed, and today's kit builder becomes aware of this.

I tried, and failed miserably, to assemble coach kits by both Roxey and Jidenco, but that is not necessarily the fault of the kit. In the right hands, exhibition-grade models are possible. I am rather pleased to have acquired some! It worries me not that I could not make them myself.

The various kind and supportive comments from Forum readers are certainly raising the pressure to maintain the rolling stock standard.

PB

Peter

I'd classify Northstar as kit built - it's not really fair to put it in the same category as the mass market box shifter models from Hornby or Bachmann, although to be honest the Hornby Maunsells are better than many kits i've seen over the years. The main point is that your stock comprises of items few other people have, and that makes it all the more intersting.

Looking forward to seeing what you're going to do with those boards - no presure, honest....

• 5 weeks later...

Peter

.............Looking forward to seeing what you're going to do with those boards - no pressure, honest....

That's a relief, then!

At least I did not have to return to the drawing board, as I had always allowed for last minute changes. I know that some very successful modellers recommend comprehensive planning before a start is made. I've tried that, too!

Any way, I hope these next two photos show how I have been able to adapt and update the 1.0 assembly to 1.1 build standard, without waste.

post-489-043298000 1283967653_thumb.jpg

post-489-098522200 1283967695_thumb.jpg

I inserted a plain vertical piece of ply, 200mm deep, which enables boards 4 and 5 to be dropped 100mm in relation to board 2 and 3 (and which I use as the datum). The track plan worked out earlier remains unchanged, but the drop now permits the trackbed to run on a short viaduct, with arches and a road underbridge (Lambeth Road?) Sadly no diecast trams available, but as and when the road happens I must try and remember the tram tracks and cobblestones. Period road vehicles are at last becoming available in both quality and quantity. Corgi seem to be promising a Thorneycroft Nippy in Southern colours, and the Oxford Mechanical Horse is of a standard by which to judge others. Then there's STL buses, Austin LL Taxis, period fire vehicles in 1940s grey, and several private cars already to hand.

Beyond the station throat, the main line will curve to the left on the quadrant, visible in the lower pic. (Board 3) I still have yet to work out how this board will appear.

Very impressive base boards . A good foundation is so important so many people rush this stage of layout building only to encounter problems later on. I have used Birch ply for my current new layout and have to say that even though its is expensive it is well worth the investment, wonderfull material to work with . Will watch this topic with interest.

#

Martin roberts

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Rotten weather, so indoors and a chance to make extra sure that the electrics are all ok, and stretch the legs on T9 314 and Corridor 3 Set 410. Note to self, must get the lighting sorted fairly soon.

post-489-0-72215300-1304786429_thumb.jpg

Corridor and non-corridor coach stock was used for these cross-country trains; both 2 and 3 sets were popular. In my modelling period (the decade before nationalisation) various liveries co-existed. This one is in Maunsell unlined green.

314 is straight out of the box, but needs the deceleration cv adjusted. The test was almost disastrous.

Archived