Replacement wheels

1 hour ago, Office layout said:

I need to replace some of the wheel sets on my rolling stock / carriages.  Of those that seem readily available, can anyone suggest which to get, or perhaps avoid?

Hornby

Bachmann

Dapol

Peters Spares

I usually go for Dapol 3 hole wagon wheels and then Hornby for coaches or wagons over 3ft dia wheels. Careful if you are re wheeling Lima stock though as they have a funny axle size, I'm sure someone will be along to advise there.

Cheers

James

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Office layout said:

I need to replace some of the wheel sets on my rolling stock / carriages.  Of those that seem readily available, can anyone suggest which to get, or perhaps avoid?

Hornby

Bachmann

Dapol

Peters Spares

Are you staying with OO gauge or going to OO Fine, EM or P4?

1 hour ago, NFWEM57 said:

Ok. Code 100 is the most forgiving of track with respect to older wheelsets and more modems ready to run.  So, why do you want o change wheelsets? Then I can provide a better answer.

6 of the carriages I have, fitted with plastic wheels, have a fixed back to back of 13.5mm and derail through the new Peco points I have. All my other carriages with a 14mm back to back are fine. It's also clear that the rolling stock I have  that has metal wheels runs a lot more smoothly Vs the plastic.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Office layout said:

6 of the carriages I have, fitted with plastic wheels, have a fixed back to back of 13.5mm and derail through the new Peco points I have. All my other carriages with a 14mm back to back are fine. It's also clear that the rolling stock I have  that has metal wheels runs a lot more smoothly Vs the plastic.

OK.  Peters Spares is the best to go for here. Cheaper than the other branded makes and good quality, I use them all the time, no complaints.  Postage is £5 so make sure you buy a lot to reduce the postage cost per item or buy with something else you need.  Presume you will need 2 pairs per carriage so £6 and for 6 carriages that is £36+£5 which works out at £3.40 per pair of axles and still cheaper than buying the branded ones.  In addition, one axles is live to the track so if you wanted to add power or whatever, very simple.  The branded ones are not usually live to axle.

Hope this helps.