Bachmann MK1 Coaches on Commonwealth Bogies.

Interim Report: Right, I eased off the bogies but derailments were still occurring. I pinned it down to one coach and the front bogie was derailing as it came off a (R2) curve onto the straight. I took off the bogie to have a closer look and it's then that I found the open-fronted "flange" had been deformed or bent out slightly such that the wheel axle had popped out slightly. If it had been 2nd-hand I'd have thought someone had been trying to change the wheels and bent the flange but, as it's  supposed to  be new, from a set, it may have been a problem in the factory.

I bent if back as best I could using physical force though it is still deformed. The axle is back in place, however, and, as it was the front one on a combination brake coach, I swapped it with the back bogie. After a limited bit of testing, all three seem to be running well now with, thus far, no derailments!

I thought about using steam from a kettle to try and bend the flange back. I noticed that on the (2nd hand) restaurant car, the bogie is of a different type (it's a "W" coach whilst the other two are "M"), and the bogie has a closed rather than an open front end. If I knew what type of bogie to get, I would replace the two on the brake coach. I see Peter's Spares have a range here http://www.petersspares.com/?layout=1&pg=1&searchStr=bogies

I have no doubt that easing off the bogie screws have helped the coaches run much better. I am going out now to give them a more extensive run. 

Thanks for all the help!

I've completed more tests and am pleased to report that I'm now delighted with the coaches! First being towed by my Hornby County of Flint which I had fitted with Wheeltappers DCC sound, then, even more splendid with my Hornby TTS King George I. What a fine set they make. I'm over the moon, thank you! If someone can advise on the type of bogie I should buy, though; I think I will still replace the ones on the combination brake coach.

Thank you all! 

• RMweb Premium

I am pleased you have solved the immediate problem, become happy with your coaches and learned a little about modelling and mass-produced rolling stock along the way

The W and M numbers on the coaches only indicate they would have been allocated to the Western or London-Midland Region, respectively, and do not relate to the bogies.

In simple terms the leaf-spring bogies were an earlier design which BR replaced on some coaches and had later ones built with more recent and improved bogies. The Commonwealth was one of those later ones. Go back to the Peter’s Spares link you posted. The very first bogie shown, 36-005A, is the leaf-spring for BR Mk1 coaches while the fourth down, 36-008A, is the Commonwealth. Compare with those on your coach to determine which is required. Some Mk1 coaches were later fitted with a more recent bogie again. This is the B4. If that is what you require then scroll down to item 36-037

You can, incidentally, run trains where different bogie types are fitted and it doesn’t matter that the numbers have different prefix letters. For those among us who model a specific location and date these things can be changed. That way is an endless path to perfection aong which each of us finds our own comfortable place. And from time to time we move on. Bogie-swapping, to eliminate damage in this case, is all a part of the much bigger picture.

• RMweb Gold

Gwiwer's post summarises things nicely...

But a note of caution

The only bogies on the link you posted that are suitable for your Mk1s are the B4s Bachmann 36-037 B4 Bogies (Pk2).... the others all have couplings mounted on them and therefore are not suitable for the MK1s with a close coupling mechanism as they don't have the cut outs to accommodate the mechanism - and cant see any of those currently available anywhere although ebay has these... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2No-Spare-Bachmann-Mk1-Coach-Bogies-with-metal-wheels-No-Couplings-BR1-Mark-1/372133729333?hash=item56a4e61435:g:xiAAAOSwqbxaCA~D

Probably off another model ....

But hang on a mo...if its a BCK you want to swap those are probably Commonwealth bogies. Do you always run it as the tail vehicle on your set ? If so a bogie without close coupling wont matter as it wont be coupling to owt else. So have a look at this thread .... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89787-modelling-trains-of-mk1-stock-whats-missing/ . As Gwiwer said some of us get carried away....

I am working my way through the Abbotswood coach rakes renumbering and rebogie-ing as appropriate and I do have a few spares so if you are struggling to find what you need please drop me a PM

The one other bogie type fitted to Bachmann Mk1s that Gwiwer's excellent information didn't include was the Gresley bogie fitted to some catering vehicles before Commonwealth bogies became available - Bachmann have done this version on their 39-100 issue, see https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=dfdzCvV2&id=BE29171EC17B5F1D17653FF21978AB9ED9541AEE&thid=OIP.dfdzCvV2yAmWduDPGYic7gEsDH&q=Bachmann+39-100&simid=608049379675342477&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

Great fun!

Cheers

Phil

Gwiwer's post summarises things nicely...

But a note of caution

The only bogies on the link you posted that are suitable for your Mk1s are the B4s Bachmann 36-037 B4 Bogies (Pk2).... the others all have couplings mounted on them and therefore are not suitable for the MK1s with a close coupling mechanism as they don't have the cut outs to accommodate the mechanism - and cant see any of those currently available anywhere although ebay has these... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2No-Spare-Bachmann-Mk1-Coach-Bogies-with-metal-wheels-No-Couplings-BR1-Mark-1/372133729333?hash=item56a4e61435:g:xiAAAOSwqbxaCA~D

Probably off another model ....

Possibly not. I've had some of these in the past (I think it was the Gresley design Thompson bogie), and they actually have the coupling mount screwed into the normal CCM cut out, so these may be the same and it can be simply removed.

Having had a quick look at the Bachmann catalogue page, that's exactly what is going on with them (http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=8)

• RMweb Gold

Ah thanks for the correction - just checked what I have in stock and you are spot on - all the same, just remove screw and coupling mounting plate detaches to leave cut out for CCM...

Phil

Thanks for all the advice. I have to take some time to check this out with bogies in hand and photos on screen. I'm attaching a picture from the Ebay sales blurb. The restaurant car has different bogies but I don't plan on changing those.

Just to clarify, these coaches are not close-coupled. When I remove the bogie, the coupler remains with a swivel plate and small spring.

No way am I aiming for anything like the accuracy that you guys are trending towards but the "theme" for my layout, (and that's as strong as it ever gets) is Western Region, late 50s-mid 60s which is when I travelled every day to and from school in Bath. At first, often pulled by steam, sometimes a Hall, then, gradually, DMUs took over. I have a DMU in green, again fitted with sound by Wheeltappers, with which I am really delighted.

The highlight of each day, as I waited on Bath Spa station for my own train, was the arrival from Bristol Temple Meads of the 4.34 non-stop to Paddington. Usually a Caste but regularly a King would pull this train. Occasionally there would be a restaurant car in choclate and cream. So exciting to me! I'm doing my best to get dutiable locos and rolling stock but am not going to any great lengths for absolute authenticity!

I will get back on the bogie front!

post-32092-0-66846800-1511123434_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

And to achieve prototypical coupling - remove the tension locks from the NEM pockets on the CCM and just replace them with Hornby R8220 couplers or kaydees - both are plug ins.

Have a look at post 227 onwards on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116076-Hornby-announce-mk1-fo-and-bso/page-10

Cheers

Phil

That is in fact the close coupling mechanism whose cut out in the bogies we were talking about above.

And to achieve prototypical coupling - remove the tension locks from the NEM pockets on the CCM and just replace them with Hornby R8220 couplers or kaydees - both are plug ins.

Have a look at post 227 onwards on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116076-Hornby-announce-mk1-fo-and-bso/page-10

Cheers

Phil

For some reason I had assumed they were not close-coupled because they don't look that close! Hang on, in the middle I have the restaurant car which has the closed bogie so I assume that's the reason! Hmm. I'm getting confused here..... Anyway, I have been busy elsewhere today and will look at those bogies in the next couple of days.

Archived