Hachette Flying Scotsman

• RMweb Gold

I have to say the finish is down to the 'Sprayaway' paint from Just Like The Real Thing. You can lash it on like a drunken gorilla and it still manages to sort itself out.

It's just a shame they don't make it any more :(

• RMweb Gold

£620

That includes faux Slaters wheels, real Fox decals, name plates and a little bag of coal as well as a bunch of magazines. While the magazine articles were a bit hit & miss with a 'trains from around the world' theme the colour step by step instructions were a lot better than a photocopied sheet of A4 text.

To that I added an ABC gearbox, paint and Slaters axles for the driving wheels (supplied axles were a bit undersize). If I'd thought about it I'd have replaced some of the white metal castings for brass ones.

Basically the price compares well with a DJH kit although more of the castings are white metal.

Excellant job there - I'm still about a year behind with my build. Mine is a first attempt at building a loco, in at the deep end so to speak - and now about to attempt the con rods etc. That is when the snow clears, weather warms up and I can get down to the shed!

Paul.

• 1 month later...

Hi every one

Could some one post some pic's of the magazine covers of 121 ,123 ,124 ,125  and what came with those issues and instuction page as I don"t have these particular mags but I think I have the parts this would help me a lot

Thanks Mark :O

Edited by Who42

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

TBH aside from fettling the cab sides it all went together without any bother.
For all the moans people made about it this is a large tender loco you can build as your first kit. Sure it doesn't have the detail of something from Martin Finney, but it still looks the business.

• 2 years later...

Nice job and interesting to see what the kit looks like when finished.  I'm going through my recently deceased father's possessions and have come across a stack of partworks for this locomotive, still in their unopened cellophane bags.  I haven't come across the plastic boiler and tender yet but the white metal footplate is there.  Copies are selling on eBay for various prices between £7.95 and £19.95, depending on the part attached to the magazine, which is quite a surprise.  He also has a part completed Hachette Bismark, the hull of which must be about three and a half feet long. 

• 3 months later...

I am currently sorting through my late father's possessions and have a nearly complete and almost entirely unopened set of these partworks to dispose of (issues 17 and 40, of 1 - 125, are missing and I've run out of places where my father might have stashed them away).  Other than that, all parts appear to be present except for the plastic boiler assembly but I've no way of knowing if anything else is missing - the plastic tender body is still extant.  Is there any likelihood that anyone may want it?

• RMweb Gold

Is there any likelihood that anyone may want it?

Yes there is.

Issue 17 is the boiler. On eBay at the moment for £14.99

40 is a driving wheel. £8.95 from eBay.

It may be worth you buying these yourself and selling the partwork as complete to remove the risk for potential buyers. The boiler is difficult to replace if no spare issue can be found.

The DJH kit that this one is based on would set you back about £800 for the equivalent parts. This isn't as good but there's still some substantial value in there.

• 3 months later...

I am currently sorting through my late father's possessions and have a nearly complete and almost entirely unopened set of these partworks to dispose of (issues 17 and 40, of 1 - 125, are missing and I've run out of places where my father might have stashed them away).  Other than that, all parts appear to be present except for the plastic boiler assembly but I've no way of knowing if anything else is missing - the plastic tender body is still extant.  Is there any likelihood that anyone may want it?

I have an almost complete set but missing part 88 (tender sides).  Do you still have part 88?

Regards Dafydd W.

• 11 months later...

Hi there hope people are still messing around with these things iam building two of them with bits iam picking up here and there.i spoted a list of parts and which mag they were in but it seems to of disappeared does anybody know were it is many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have the full set of issues and the kit is unstarted save for one of the cab etches being folded (I had 4 sets of cab etches sent to replace a poor one).

Must get round to starting it, unless anyone on here is interested in making me an offer for it all. 

I bought and is in possession of Issue 1 to 125 collected them all via the CNA in South Africa and 2 month ago decided to start on it.

I am now sorry that I did not start it at the time of issue 

But very fortunately found this  community and this model particular BUILD fantastic it has been a help to no end 

I just hope I can persevere and do the job at hand 

Going to give it a go

Might be looking for issues that require fixing of mistakes 

Will be back with comments

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure there was a build thread on here at the time. I didn't take part, but therte was an excellent one for Mallard.

Perhaps someon else can point you iin the right direction? Or use search in the "Other publications" forum, try "Flying Scotsman", or "Hachette"

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure how the solder would take to the blocks that form the inner part of the cylinders. The bits you can see are white metal but the stuff inside is something else. So the outer parts of the cylinders are glued on.P1080162.JPGThe front buffer beam. Complete with old-school rivetsP1080165.JPGI attached it to the footplate with copious gobs of epoxyP1080167.JPG

hi is it possible to tell me which part no did the tender plastic top came in thank you