Mumbles Railway

A short Pathé film with model horse drawn buses and an interesting bit (Mumbles steam loco) at the end of the film here

..and a very short piece of BBC film here

As a small child, I was taken on a trip on this by my great-aunt. Such a shame that the council allowed 'Slow, Wicked and Terrible' to buy it and close it down- modernised, it would have provided a useful link along a route where road traffic has been very heavy since the 1960s.

• RMweb Premium

In the film clip I noticed that the 'steam' locomotive is in fact a diesel! It appears to be a Fowler, perhaps some one knows more about it. The horse drawn coach I believe to have been built using at least the wheels, axles and probably the frames as well from a Hardy/FWD tower wagon that was acquired for the erection and maintainence of the overhead. I have seen still photographs of this carriage where the axles are clearly visible and they have a gear casing in the centre of each axle.

In the film clip I noticed that the 'steam' locomotive is in fact a diesel! It appears to be a Fowler, perhaps some one knows more about it.

The Fowler's details are as follows

0-4-0DM 48hp 21202/1936. The loco was apparently Swansea & Mumbles No.15 and was disposed of 1959/60.

I am unable to find my copy of 'The Swansea & Mumbles Railway' (Oakwood Press) which IIRC suggests the loco was puchased in connection with some shunting/freight and more likely PW work.

The Hardy 'No.14' was acquired in 1929 and was disposed of after the 1954 shennigans.

Brian R

Archived