Greyscroft Mine - Cleveland Ironstone in 1955. EM gauge.

Worsdell forever

As Jamie has posted a photo of himself with the cup he won with Culreoch I thought I would post a link to the EMGS website where there is a photo of yours truly being presented with the best layout trophy et ExpoEM North. Click on ExpoEM events 2010 and scroll down.

Well not quite, some kind soul did it 'for' me :lol:

Was nice to see the layout looking well at Slaithwaite, even if I didn't see yourself. Congrats on the award - that was tough competition amongst some stunning layouts.

• RMweb Gold

Well not quite, some kind soul did it 'for' me :lol:

Was nice to see the layout looking well at Slaithwaite, even if I didn't see yourself. Congrats on the award - that was tough competition amongst some stunning layouts.

I did realise after that you didn't put it on yourself...

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My original intention was to operate the signals using Memory wire actuators, I made some up and fitted them. They worked quite well and I was pleased with them.

Unfortunately they were not reliable enough in exhibition conditions, starting out OK but as the exhibition hall heated up they would come off but were reluctant to go back to danger - not what I wanted at all.They could be adjusted but when the hall cooled down they would not come off! angry.gif

After a bit of thought and research I decided to try Servos, the other option was Tortoise or Cobalt point motors. Servos worked out at about £10 an arm and point motors about £15 each.

Small Servos were ordered from GiantCod months ago and a couple of weeks ago I ordered an ESU Switch Pilot Servo from DCC Suplies.

The Servos are fitted to home made wooden mounting blocks, the horns have been drilled out to have a 10BA bolt fitted to attach the signal mechanism.

post-7104-0-45567500-1296985724_thumb.jpg

These were then cut down the middle to make 6.

post-7104-0-02446400-1296985728_thumb.jpg

Servo attached to the mounting block and screwed to the baseboard, Switch Pilot Servo on the left temporarily resting on a point motor - one servo plugged in, the pins bottom right are for the switches, top left is the power supply (green) and bottom left is the adjustment buttons and LEDs.

post-7104-0-92987900-1296985730_thumb.jpg

The mechanism on the signal wire is a 10BA screw soldered to the signal wire, a piece of tube can slide on this with nuts at each end to provide a little adjustment. A washer is soldered to the tube to attach the signal to the 10BA screw on the servo horn.

post-7104-0-82666000-1296985733_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-28901200-1296985721_thumb.jpg

The Switch Pilot Servo is easy to set up for analogue operation, it can operate up to four servos. Adjustments are made using three buttons to change start position, end position and speed. 4 LED's show which servo is being adjusted.

The first signal worked like a dream, the second as well. It was when I added the third that the problems started. All was well until I switched it all off and back on, the servos moved right round to the end of their travel and all the LED's lit up, obviously showing a fault. I could remove the servos and it would clear its self with only one plugged in, I could then plug the others in one at a time and they would work fine until I switched it all off then on... I tried 4 new servos thinking one of the first 4 was faulty but the problem was still there.

I then read through the instruction manual again and discovered that the Switch Pilot Servo needs 250ma per servo all the time and I was using a 300ma plug in transformer. I replaced this with a 500ma one and it will now run three servos without a problem. I have a spare 5amp laptop transformer so I will probably use that as there will be 11 servos to work in the end.

Extra wiring will need to be added as the memory wire was a simple on/off, the switches on the panel need to be changed to passing contact (thanks Steveatbax) as the Switch Pilot Servo only needs a pulse.

Next thing to do is to order another two Switch Pilot Servos.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Making Bolckow Street habitable...

Bolckow Street was built in a bit of a hurry from Metcalfe kits in August/September 2009 in time for the layout's début at Shipley. It was always my intention to replace it with something better, no doubt a Scalescenes terrace. I started with the Scalescenes corner pub over christmas but this would be far too wide to fit the site without spoiling the character of it (really great kit though.) so I have since decided to leave the Metcalfe ones but suitably detailed.

The roofs have been covered with Scalescenes slates and Wills guttering (down pipes were added earlier as they were used to cover the joints between the kits) and chimney pots added. The white lintels and cills have since been painted a much nicer stone colour. A few of those new-fangled TV aerials have been erected on some of the chimneys, they look huge but are actually quite small ones.

Jobs still to do are the chimney pots need weathering and the Post Office and Chippy need interiors and the shop interior needs improving.

See post 10 to see how the street looked before.

post-7104-0-46379900-1300221085_thumb.jpg

I've also had a go at some other small details around the layout. The quoits pitch needed a watering can, in case the clay dries out, made from a piece of brass tube, thin brass sheet and bits of brass wire. It stands about 4.5mm high.

post-7104-0-89922400-1300221087_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-61989900-1300221090_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-22017800-1300221083_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave, glad you like it.

Power to the People...*

*With apologies to Robert Lindsay.

While I was looking for photos of TV aerials I came across this photo (8th photo down) and decided that I wanted some electricity poles like these along Bolkow Street. The poles are still there but now only have a single 'cable' running along the top with the finials removed. I was wondering where I could find better detailed shots of the insulators etc as I had no luck with Google. Luck came on Saturday morning as I arrived at the Birtley exhibition, I found myself in a veritable forest of the things! some even had their finials on.

post-7104-0-90758300-1300400399_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-90320900-1300400400_thumb.jpg

Some are more complex than others...

post-7104-0-06686700-1300400403_thumb.jpg

Three sizes of tube have been used for the poles with narrow strips of brass shim (about 4thou I think) were persuaded around the top to form the brackets with another strip to mount the insulators on. Insulators are filed from 80thou square evergreen plastic strip, a 0.5mm hole drilled in the bottom (before they were cut from the strip) and superglued to 0.45mm wire brackets. I need to find some suitable finials now (as a last resort I could fettle something up). they will then be painted green. Right, now for the other 5...

post-7104-0-81026800-1300400404_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-90611500-1300400398_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I managed to get some suitable finials from MSE at Nottingham yesterday. They are SC0013 'Scottish Railways Finials', I have filed the small 'ring' off the top and also filed the base round. The finials for the rest of the poles will be filed down a bit as I think they are a bit too tall.

post-7104-0-79854900-1300639948_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some pretty bits...

I'm currently detailing around the water mill. There's a plough parked up in the corner of the field, this is a Shire Scenes etched brass kit which went together well apart from the mould board which was just an oval of brass bearing no resemblance to what it should be. I twisted this to about the right curve then started snipping away at it until it was about the right shape then it was finished with files.

post-7104-0-89679400-1301431617_thumb.jpg

The Millers dog, Harry.

post-7104-0-55902400-1301431637_thumb.jpg

And some chickens.

post-7104-0-71965200-1301431660_thumb.jpg

And some not so pretty bits...

Outside the mine workshop is a 'Cranner', the local name for an Eimco 'Rocker Shovel', recently refurbished and given a coat of paint and ready to go back underground. These are (I think they are still being made in one form or another) powered with compressed air and run on rails, it lifts it's load over itself and into a tub parked on the rails behind it, the operator stands precariously on the platform on the side. One can be seen working HERE. Built from plasticard with N gauge coach wheels nipped in to about 8mm gauge and the pin points filed off.

post-7104-0-60194900-1301431689_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-86741600-1301431715_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-49563500-1301431598_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul,

You're detailing keeps getting better and better, the plough looked lovely 'in the flesh' last week, the rocker shovel looks like another masterpiece.

Where do you find dimensions for something like this? or is it a 'guesstimate' based on some known dimensions? (like track gauge)

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Where do you find dimensions for something like this? or is it a 'guesstimate' based on some known dimensions? (like track gauge)

Mike

Mostly guessing and building from photos, it was originally longer than it is now but on closer studying of photos I decided to shorten it.

Ruston, glad you like it, I've never seen one modelled before either.

Thanks for the comments.

Fursty, the PW is mostly C&L, plain is flexitrack, point timbers are a mixture of C&L plastic and EMGS ply. all chairs are C&L. check out my Felton Lane thread (link in sig) for a detailed build of the points.

Signalmaintainer, be patient!!

Mike, the winding gear has turned with the gizmo attached, what is the maximum voltage it will take? it needs a bit more than the batteries give now it is turning the whole thing. The problem I have now is the knot jumping out, I will have to make the groove in the wheels a bit deeper.

Downcast shaft and winding gear. The winding engine house is a shortened version of North Skelton, the rest is based on bits from other mines.

Mike (49395) has made me an electronic gizmo to run the winding gear, it should run for 30 seconds, stop and wait for about 5 then reverse for 30 seconds and so on. I don't know how, ask him nicely and he might explain it.

post-7104-127706286427.jpg

Boiller house and boilers are based on photos of the ones that were at Lumpsey Mine (Brotton). The water tank is two Wills kits.

post-7104-127706287431.jpg

Mine workshops are a model of the old stable block at work. Much work to complete here.

post-7104-127706288299.jpg

Hello,

Great layout!

Where did you get the little narrow gauge carts? I need one for my coaling stage.

Thank you

• RMweb Gold

Great photo Arthur, thanks, I see the brake on the tub is securely on...

Hello,

Great layout!

Where did you get the little narrow gauge carts? I need one for my coaling stage.

Thank you

Hi Mobi, glad you like it. The tubs and the track are from Craftline models and for what I need are a bit small but for a coaling stage will be about the right size.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Point rodding...

I've now added some point rodding using Brassmasters cranks and MSE rodding stools with .33mm brass wire after the .3mm guitar 'string' ran out. Not sure if the layout is correct (I'm pretty certain that it ain't), but I'm happy with it and it takes the plainness of the track away.

Compensators on the long run to the far end of the loop, point and lock.

post-7104-0-57137800-1305664802_thumb.jpg

Clutter outside the signal cabin.

post-7104-0-51789900-1305664806_thumb.jpg

Completed compensator, just requiring a little weathering.

post-7104-0-15234600-1305664815_thumb.jpg

Almost tidied up.

post-7104-0-18476500-1305664818_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Details, details, details...

I've had quite a productive day today, getting ready for going to the Middlesbrough show this weekend.

First I've been experimenting with Greenscene leaf litter under some trees. As it comes it is really a bit big so first I chopped it up a bit just like the chefs on the telly chop herbs, this took a bit of doing as the 'leaves' are quite tough and the bits wanted to fly everywhere. Now they are under the trees with a bit of greenery around them they look good.

post-7104-0-53679500-1305739497_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-38200800-1305739500_thumb.jpg

I've also added some hand point levers, speed restriction signs and a milepost, I think the base of the milepost should be white but here it didn't look right so it is black.

post-7104-0-26185300-1305739503_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-63270300-1305739505_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-70211100-1305739507_thumb.jpg

The allotment/garden at the end of the goods yard has lain fallow for long enough so I've made a start at filling the space. The first layer of soil (real) has been stuck down with PVA and the representation of potato ridges have been added by gluing down string before the soil, this looks to have worked quite well. I've also started to build a shed to fit in the corner by the gate.

post-7104-0-88167900-1305739493_thumb.jpg

Dear Worsdell Forever,

What a great and atmospheric little layout - just like your Fenton Lane Goods. I remember those electricity poles in Easington Colliery when (late 50s/early 60s) I was a boy kicking a football up against the end gable walls of the colliery houses (disappearing rapidly when the miner's wife came out and told us to "hadaway") I don't get to any northern exhibitions (being based in Esssex) so have not seen your grand efforts in the flesh so to speak. Are you bringing anything down south in the foreseeable future?

Keep up the magnificent work and attention to detail.

Kind Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments Brian, I seem to be finding old electric poles everywhere since starting to make those! Don't think I'll be exhibiting that far south, sorry.

A bumper crop...

I've been having great fun today 'planting' vegetables in the allotment today, VERY pleased with the onions, made from 4-5 coarse brush bristles stuck down with a generous blob of Evo-stick then the 'leaves' painted dark green (Revell No 48), the blob of glue then representing the onion. The hoe on the barrow is fabricated from a bit of brass soldered to a length of .45mm brass wire. The net over the young peas is a piece of net curtain painted.

post-7104-0-48542000-1305828014_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-43110900-1305828017_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-85893500-1305828021_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-49005300-1305828024_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-94093200-1305828010_thumb.jpg

The Middlesbrough Show thread seems to have died, so I'll say it here - this was head and shoulders the best layout there. Once Paul had finished hitting it with a pair of pliers I spent a very pleasing half hour or so in total watching it. Don't take a magnifying glass, though - you'll need a telescope to see some of the detail on there. Once he's worked his way right across it at that standard it's going to be a real stunner.

Archived