Greyscroft Mine - Cleveland Ironstone in 1955. EM gauge.

Worsdell forever

Hi Ray, welcome to RMweb,

I used a Gibson conversion set (RTR use 3mm axles rather than 1/8") and short lengths of plastic tube to space them out.

It's next outing will be at the Tyneside show in November.

I suppose I should have asked, was it a difficult conversion?? I'm guessing there would be some issues with fitting the crankpins and valve gear.

I'll definitely make the Nov show. Looking forward to North Shields in a couple of weeks.

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't too bad, the wheels can be quartered before they are dropped in so that made things easier. It would have gone better if I had set it to the correct back to back to start with but that was my own daft fault!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Greyscroft will be at the Tyneside show on the 10th & 11th November so I thought I would add a few bits that I had been thinking about doing for a while.

Someone has finally got round to cutting up the old head wheels...

The gas bottles are from GEM, the pipes are lengths of red and black cotton twisted together and superglued to hold them. The cutting torch is made up from bits of brass wire soldered together, bit of a faff but looks OK.

post-7104-0-45328300-1351551389.jpg

• RMweb Gold

More fiddly bits, I've noticed on many photos of ironstone mines that there is usually a steel stock rack near the workshops.

I've built this from 40thou and 80 x 20thou plastic strip, the steel sections are plastic angle, channel and strip all painted and 'rusted'. The steel plate is offcuts of 20thou plasticard with the edges thinned.

post-7104-0-60320100-1351809915.jpg

I'm trying to reduce the amount of 'stuff' that gets taken to exhibitions, all the bits and pieces go into these three boxes, the top one is stock, the bottom one is the electrical bits and the middle one is the one I want to empty, there's quite a few buildings in it, many of which can now be fixed to the layout. Some of them, mainly the chimney can't be permanently fixed, it stands about 18" high, this and the small boxes of detail bits will go into the other two.

post-7104-0-97056300-1351809903.jpg

Paul, that steel stock rack is excellent. It just so happens that I'm making something similar myself too.

I have one small criticism of the scene and I hope you take it constructively but the ground cover looks too neat, tidy and uniform. All mine yards I've seen, in real life or in photos, tend to be muddy, scruffy and uneven. Strewn with junk and weeds.

• RMweb Gold

Love the boxes Paul very appropriate. Did you do the Caligraphy?

Regards

Tom

Sorry Tom, missed this this morning.

No I didn't. The middle one, SS Fylingdale, dates from 1924, SS Sandsend is just post WWII (last British registered Liberty ship) and SS Glaisdale built 1929 sold 1957. All owned by Rowland & Marwood SS Co. Whitby.

• RMweb Gold

Some more fun bits and one slightly silly bit...

The workshop building is nearing completion, slates have been added and the chimney glued on and weathered, hopefully this will disguise the fact that it has no flashing yet!

post-7104-0-32658400-1352157162.jpg

The lads have started cutting up the head wheels, I snipped out three spokes and glued them to the ground before gluing the rest of the wheel down.

post-7104-0-10091100-1352157112.jpg

I've been spending quite a bit of time at work splitting logs to keep the fire in the bar burning and this made me think about how I could do something like this on the layout, it's in the field in front of the mill, the logs are some hawthorn twigs that I sorted out after cutting the hedge in the back garden in the summer (remember the summer!) and left them to dry, I cut them to length with a razor saw and the split ones were 'chopped' by gently pressing down with a scalpel, I only lost one! The axe is a filed down hammer from the Cooper Craft P/Way set.

post-7104-0-12121400-1352157144.jpg

post-7104-0-37389000-1352157153.jpg

Finally the silly bit, Fairy ring...

post-7104-0-39178600-1352157134.jpg

He's complaining about carrying 3 boxes. 3. If I didn't know better I'd swear he'd never seen a single one of the layouts I operate for being transported......

I've got mine down to ten boxes - of various sizes - after all my layout is bigger than Paul's !!!!!! I've also invested in a sack barrow, which will stop us all getting bad backs carrying the darn things! See you at Newcastle at the weekend.

• RMweb Gold

I spent a bit of time last night adjusting signals. I haven't managed to get the down advanced starter quite level, it's now slightly above horizontal but NER lower quadrants with worn pivots went this way (well that's my excuse anyway). I've also repaired the mine yard starter, it's done the last two shows with the signal out of service and using hand signals.

Out of service.

post-7104-0-32803500-1352447681.jpg

Broken balance arm.

post-7104-0-33866200-1352447692.jpg

Repaired.

post-7104-0-18468000-1352447702.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

One Man Went to Mow... Part 2.5?

Following on slightly from post 78 I've been making silly little things again and this one is far too modern for here, but it kind of fits and follows on from here...

post-7104-0-14272600-1373581247_thumb.jpg

The strimmer head is a 12BA bolt head and the line is a single strand of layout wire superglued in the slot...

post-7104-0-84612800-1373581260_thumb.jpg

One Man Went to Mow... Part 2.5?

Following on slightly from post 78 I've been making silly little things again and this one is far too modern for here, but it kind of fits and follows on from here...

attachicon.gifIMGP7263-001.JPG

The strimmer head is a 12BA bolt head and the line is a single strand of layout wire superglued in the slot...

attachicon.gifIMGP7267-001.JPG

Just one bijou snagette – the strimmer wasn't invented until the 1970s   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_trimmer

Archived