Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

Obviously "ROB" because if me asking a question is wrong then I'd like to know or if I can explain something misuderstood I should know of it or as others have stated it might just be a mistake. Please don't assume that the "disagree" has harmed me emotionally and all that rubbish (I've seen enough of that here). :O

I'd genuinely like to know if my question was interpreted differently to which I owe an explanation and I shall gladly give :)

JEFF

Loving the double inverted commas, isn't it amazing that through simple punctuation you can almost hear the intended tone of voice.

Rob (or """""ROB""""" if you prefer!)

I was surprised that the model sold out at Hattons over a week ago and that they were not expecting any more stock. Likewise surprised that Rails' stock was yet to arrive. I found the blue and grey 4VEP set available online at Rail Exclusive here: http://www.railexclusive.com/products.php?cat=7 for £164.95 including p+p. Mine arrived from them this morning and am very pleased with it; the only complaint being that the motor is not in the brake half of the coach d'oh.

£40 per coach for a blue-grey 4-car emu set is very reasonable imo

I note that the Rail Exclusive site is back to pre-ordering, so perhaps best to give them a call before ordering.

I would have bought from my local shop, Harburn Hobbies, but they had none in stock. They did have earlier 4VEPs in NSE and all-over blue, though, the NSE set was priced at about £148.

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks

I received my blue/grey 4-VEP today.  My only real criticism is of the motor, which runs in a similar way to the Tenshodo motor in my EFE Tube train.  As has been said before, I think the lack of pin-point axles doesn't help; the EFE stock also has clip-in wheels that significantly increase friction.  I think a better decoder will improve running, although I'll have to see what the seller's position is regarding returning a sound decoder if it doesn't operate well.

Other than that I'm very pleased with the quality of the paintwork and am happy with the overall look of it, including the changes Hornby have made from the initial batches.  Even the horns don't look as bad when seeing the model in-the-flesh.  The missing curtains and guard irons are not deal-breakers for me, but they obviously should have been included.   

A few pictures of the driving coaches (which need clipping back on properly!):

post-17625-0-52293400-1421673364_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-02235400-1421673375_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-20853500-1421673393_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-29550000-1421673401_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

I received my blue/grey 4-VEP today.  My only real criticism is of the motor, which runs in a similar way to the Tenshodo motor in my EFE Tube train.  As has been said before, I think the lack of pin-point axles doesn't help; the EFE stock also has clip-in wheels that significantly increase friction.  I think a better decoder will improve running, although I'll have to see what the seller's position is regarding returning a sound decoder if it doesn't operate well.

Other than that I'm very pleased with the quality of the paintwork and am happy with the overall look of it, including the changes Hornby have made from the initial batches.  Even the horns don't look as bad when seeing the model in-the-flesh.  The missing curtains and guard irons are not deal-breakers for me, but they obviously should have been included.   

A few pictures of the driving coaches (which need clipping back on properly!):

attachicon.gifDSCF1278.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF1279.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF1283.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF1287.JPG

Very effective and subtle weathering - most excellent!

I'm not sure when VEPs actually lost their curtains (other than 1st class) but certainly by late Blue/Grey/early NSE they were long gone.

IIRC, officially, they were never replaced at refurbishment, but most of them had been nicked or thrown out of windows by indigenous yobs well before that anyway, especially on a Saturday night, when Guards would lock themselves tight in the brake rather than get spat on or worse. Often P/Way would return several they had found trackside to the depot at Ramsgate, but most would fall apart in our ancient washing machine! (when it was working that is....). 

• 2 weeks later...

RE, 4 VEP Curtains,

Both my points may have been aired before on this subject, but i believe the omission of curtains on the blue/grey VEP

is in order. In the early days of this livery the units would still have kept them, but before NSE days they were gone

( except in first class ). Also the model has the sliding windows in the closed position, this is also correct as they

were permanently sealed after a very short time. Why did BR think they were needed in the first place with 

a droplight in every door?.

Also the model has the sliding windows in the closed position, this is also correct as they

were permanently sealed after a very short time. Why did BR think they were needed in the first place with 

I've often wondered this. Travelling in a VEP with droplights down and windows open must have been a bit like riding in a sieve...

RE, 4 VEP Curtains,

Both my points may have been aired before on this subject, but i believe the omission of curtains on the blue/grey VEP

is in order. In the early days of this livery the units would still have kept them, but before NSE days they were gone

( except in first class ). Also the model has the sliding windows in the closed position, this is also correct as they

The 2nd class curtains were long gone before NSE. From memory, I think it was 80 or 81, I remember that the VEGs retained them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

2- BILS   for  £60.00    Inc  Blue  ones....... makes  you  think  doesnt  it

It didn't make me think for too long.

Kernow's stock now depleted by 1x 2-Bil and 1x4-Vep.

• Like 2

Yep, thought I'd done well to pick one up for £160 a month ago! Have just ordered another!

Something feels askew for these to be sold off cheaply so soon following release...

Mal

Absolutely, especially as Hattons sold out almost immediately, at around £166, and I have already had two off Kernow at about the same price. There has been virtually no publicity about these in the mags, no reviews (despite the significant improvements) and next to nothing in the just arrived sections on the web sites. It is like they have found the mad old aunt in the attic, and are desperately trying to get her out of the house without anyone knowing.....For such a relatively good model (with its remaining but minor faults), and the only "new" 4 car EMU on the market, which would confound the sceptics about whether any more 4 car units would sell, it is bizarre.

And I also see, at Kernow, that it is "temporarily out of stock but 108 (one hundred and eight !!!??) have been ordered from our suppliers". What?? Is it Hornby that has already decided to write these off at cost? So soon after many of us will have paid near to full price?

Hmmm, we don't know how many VEPs got made, but we do know that somehow this batch did get caught up in the tail end of the Sanda Kan debacle. I'm afraid that these days one has to develop a bit of a thick skin when it comes to buying items such as this - you either pre-order or buy on release and pay the going rate or take a chance on some items ending up in the bargain bins. I suspect that quite a few purchasers of the Kernow bargains will have already bought at full price but it least with EMUs one can often justify several.

Also I don't think that this is simply about Hornby 'writing off'' the batch but about continuing to let dealers have some good deals to counter the online sales push.