Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

It is looking good, i can see a CIG coming from this biggrin.gif

I wish...

SImon K wouldn't be drawn, but I did mention all the units that could be done with the same front end. He said he'd prefer to do a 2-Bil, but don't get over excited - it was just in conversation!

I wish...

SImon K wouldn't be drawn, but I did mention all the units that could be done with the same front end. He said he'd prefer to do a 2-Bil, but don't get over excited - it was just in conversation!

A Hornby 2-BIL.... ?, ... At least someone in higher authority has the same taste / preference as me.

Bring it on,.... Please.

Cheers Jon,.. Ceptic

Are the horizontal window bars on the main body-side windows a tad low? The proportion of main glazing to vent top-light doesn't look quite right to me.

G.

They look OK to me. The horizontal bar was well below the top of the droplight. See: 3543.

Are the horizontal window bars on the main body-side windows a tad low? The proportion of main glazing to vent top-light doesn't look quite right to me.

G.

This (illusion) is probably caused by the fact that the VEP mainlight windows were shallower than other mainline Mk.1 EMU stock. I.E. The bottom edge was approx. level with that of the door droplights.

Those first test shots pics look very good indeed as for the windows they at first they did look a bit wrong but I think that's because of the lack of the vertical bar for the old (non working) sliding windows.

Don't forget they are the first test pressing! anyways NSE and privatised companies here we come!

Is Blue grey livery valid for the late converted vans and head lights? I guessing they might be too late for standard blue grey?

Is Blue grey livery valid for the late converted vans and head lights? I guessing they might be too late for standard blue grey?

The van conversions began in the Network South East era, so not suitable for blue/grey. Can't recall when headlights came in.

I had it in mind that Hornby were going to do the original van version too, which would be needed for blue and blue/grey liveries.

Here are some new 4 Veps in 1970, including the first one in blue/grey - New Veps.

• Like 1

Those images of Robert's really show how archaic these units looked for new trains in 1970! I wonder if Hornby would be pursuaded to do a new interior for a possible Railair Link unit?! A picture of one is halfway down this page: The Railway Centre At the time I always thought using VEPs [VEG] on the Gatwick trains was unusual cruelty on people with luggage and straight off a transatlantic flight... This advert is in the preserved LT 1938 stock at Acton Works.

4432428836_d0d169a155.jpg

If you'd flown Skytrain with Freddy Laker then perhaps the VEP may have been slightly more luxurious. Laker Airways was the first of the no-frills airlines.

The van conversions began in the Network South East era, so not suitable for blue/grey. Can't recall when headlights came in.

I had it in mind that Hornby were going to do the original van version too, which would be needed for blue and blue/grey liveries.

Here are some new 4 Veps in 1970, including the first one in blue/grey - New Veps.

Cheers thought so... as for headlights I think for rolling stock was mandatory from 1988/89 onwards but for the EMU's and 31/33/37 these were done through exams so by 1992/3 all stock had main beam headlights. having said that the diesel clases did have gaps. from memory anyway?

Id prefer it if Hornby did the early ones too, nice pics... I mostly ignored the EMU stock when out cranking, but if they are availble now in model form, Then I can do places like Basingstoke or Reading (4A &4B) or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Hornby look like they are doing a good job of this 4 VEP

hopefully it will be much better than the toy like Hitachi 395

with the Bachmann items and Scenecarft art deco staions, there must be a graet number of southern electric layouts being constructed

• 5 weeks later...

You're right, I travelled on it once. It was DTSO 76275 and retained the original bulbs too even though the rest of the unit was refurbished wwith fluorescent tubes.

The TC coach was bought, or at least, acquired by Hastings Diesels ltd. They have quite a few odds and sods in that depot now, plus enough stuff to make a Tadpole unit...

• RMweb Premium

The initial test shots look promising subject to the windows being modified as discussed. I'll await developments with intereset though the refurbished version will not find its way into my collection.

• RMweb Premium

:) . Now there's something to catch out a manufacturer: 7807 - Blue, 7808 - Blue/Grey, 7809 - Blue. How many would see 7809 and assume 7808 was the same...

No thanks on the VEP front, but a CIG or a BIL - Yes please. (It's all down to comfort when travelling in them)

... I wonder if Hornby would be pursuaded to do a new interior for a possible Railair Link unit?! A picture of one is halfway down this page: The Railway Centre At the time I always thought using VEPs [VEG] on the Gatwick trains was unusual cruelty on people with luggage and straight off a transatlantic flight...

If it's any help, here's a poor photo of a Gatwick variant at a very rainy Clapham Junction in 1982. Note the off-green-ish coloured bands above the windows with writing on, as well as the nylon orange curtains and the opaque glass presumably where the extra luggage space was.

post-6971-128301090064.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If it's any help, here's a poor photo of a Gatwick variant at a very rainy Clapham Junction in 1982. Note the off-green-ish coloured bands above the windows with writing on, as well as the nylon orange curtains and the opaque glass presumably where the extra luggage space was.

post-6971-128301090064.jpg

It is one of these that I am hoping to model either by converting the all blue model to blue/grey and going on from there or waiting until Hornby produce a blue/grey one and then making some sort of custom transfers for it (unless Fox can be persuaded to produce them for us perhaps?)

Don't let the Gatwick branding think this will be limited to Gatwick to Vic, these actually wound up all over the South Central division, Bognor being a popular place for them to wind up in going from the number of pics I have seen of them over the years off their proper turf.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Anyone heard any news of when the production units are arriving? SWSBO is buying the one I ordered as a birthday present (birthday gone now) and keeps asking If I know when it is going to be available, are we likely to see it before Xmas?

Dave

Anyone heard any news of when the production units are arriving? SWSBO is buying the one I ordered as a birthday present (birthday gone now) and keeps asking If I know when it is going to be available, are we likely to see it before Xmas?

Dave

Hi,

I doubt we'll have it by christmas, currently they only have 2 of the 4 cars as pre-production shots that are unpainted.

But still, you never know!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I had a chat to Simon Kohler at the Kernow MRC / YMR show who, while not specifically forthcoming on the release date seemed rather pleased with the test shots on show. He was also less than forthcoming on the possibility of a later release of the unit in original condition but seemed at least to accept there might be a demand for it.