Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

• RMweb Premium

Indeed on the face of it. However I shall still reserve judgement until I see the contents of the box. Not because of any skepticism; more to do with the need to part company with multiple drinking vouchers to obtain one which will only occur of the product is right for me.

I've provisionally ordered an all blue one from The Hobby Shop, Faversham. Apparently there's no confirmation yet as to whether this model is the original or not but they're due in to Hornby on 18 October. Fingers crossed.

Gerry

I've provisionally ordered an all blue one from The Hobby Shop, Faversham. Apparently there's no confirmation yet as to whether this model is the original or not but they're due in to Hornby on 18 October. Fingers crossed.

Gerry

Hi,

I hope they do come then! But to be honest, I don't think they will (prove me wrong Hornby, prove me wrong!)

If they come out as good as the pre-production shots, they're going to be a good seller!

Simon

Good news then? I spose I should have guessed that they would do both types of body styles (As they tend to try to cover all bases!), But it's strange that they are only doing two liveries at present? of course are they going to get the correct combinations?

Blue greys then please Mr Hornby plus early NSE with route badges! Oh and that one at seen at Clapham with the Gatwick express decals.... Bigger problem is no money and not working currently... so they will have to wait until another day.

• RMweb Premium

Guys - Hornby customer services have confirmed to me by e-mail that they are producing both pre & post refurb units.

Happy days.

Steve

Yes, good news indeed. If I do buy one, it will be unrefurbished in Blue/Grey, to run with (I hope they will work together)to a plain blue Bachmann 2-EPB.

Good news then? I spose I should have guessed that they would do both types of body styles (As they tend to try to cover all bases!), But it's strange that they are only doing two liveries at present? of course are they going to get the correct combinations?

Blue greys then please Mr Hornby plus early NSE with route badges! Oh and that one at seen at Clapham with the Gatwick express decals.... Bigger problem is no money and not working currently... so they will have to wait until another day.

Surely without route badges would be better. These things are always a b****r to remove without leaving a trace if it's not the one you want. Far better to leave them off and let people add the one they want as a decal.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Hornby had a black pre-production version of the 4-VEP with all 4 cars on show at Peteborough Show yesterday

It's getting closer!

Simon

Since when were they ever painted black... :D

But seriously... Did you notice if it was a refurb unit or not?

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just to wet our appetites there are two colour pictures of the forthcoming Veps in the free 2011 calendar enclosed with the January edition of BRM magazine. DTCLs 76923/4 of unit 2185 in NSE colours, headcode 54.

Gerry ;o)))

Hi

Just to wet our appetites there are two colour pictures of the forthcoming Veps in the free 2011 calendar enclosed with the January edition of BRM magazine. DTCLs 76923/4 of unit 2185 in NSE colours, headcode 54.

Gerry ;o)))

I assume it's 3185 not 2185. That sounds like a Kent Coast one. I'm guessing it will come with the decals on the MBS.

Guessing the headcode is this (from the SEMG site)

54 Herne Hill - Ramsgate via Chatham

or Charing Cross - Gravesend or Maidstone West via Lewisham and Sidcup

• RMweb Premium

54 was one of the "Spare" headcodes kept aside by Central Division and South Western Division and usually only used on odd workings or specials (representing the full reporting number of 1Z54 in many cases). The meaning on the South Eastern Division is as posted above.

I've yet to see the BRM calendar but this month's Hornby magazine features a couple of shots of the 4-Vep at Warley. It's unliveried but shows great promise with close couplings between the carriages. 25 years ago as a kid I'd look longingly at the kit-built third-rail EMUs that occasionaly featured in Railway Modeller. Finally with the 4-Cep, and forthcoming 4-Vep and 2-EPB we're there!