Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

Just a thought here chaps, the suggested unit number looks like it's 3185 which would have the original large luggage area in the MBSO. I'm surprised that they haven't opted for the 34xx / 35xx series with the extra seating bays.

It does however, match the picture in the catalogue. I've got a feeling the mock up model thats been doing the rounds is of the refurbished example but i'm guessing they're doing both types.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Side on images of the VEP's on the 2011 range (all be it the usual naff CGI variety)

Spotted a boo boo on the NSE Vep. Curved up sweeps to the stripes correct for a refurb but with white double arrows on the cabside red stripe, nope, they were only applied to angled up sweeps and that version was largely confined to the unrefurbished ones. Also seeing Kent Coast area logos on the van side there, hope Fox bring out some alternates as I am going to need quite a lot of Sussex Coast ones. :D

Also confirmed that NSE is refurbished, blue is unrefurbished but strangely NO blue/grey version announced which means I fear some retailer will grab that for a over priced under supplied money grabbing limited edition. :angry:

The side image of the VEP just put online raises a possibly unwelcome issue.

Drive mechanism seems to be the new Limby style bogie (fair enough) but what were Hornby thinking/smoking when they chose to mount it where they did? It's shown at the non-guards end of the MBSO..? Do what? if there was one EMU that ever had a guards' area that could swallow a drive mechanism whole it was the 4VEP. Yes, they've made a feature of producing the refurbished version of the VEP with seating in the former guards' area but at the cost of plonking the motor in plain sight in the open area of the vehicle..?

Hopefully the production version will swap ends.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Does anyone here have any confirmed delivery dates for this model yet ?

I'm more into 0 gauge these days, so haven't pre-ordered ( and money is tight anyway with the cost of the senior scale ! ) but I don't want to miss out on this one. I already have a couple of Southern Pride kit-built examples, but I expect this will blow them out of the water.

Drive mechanism seems to be the new Limby style bogie (fair enough) but what were Hornby thinking/smoking when they chose to mount it where they did? It's shown at the non-guards end of the MBSO..? Do what? if there was one EMU that ever had a guards' area that could swallow a drive mechanism whole it was the 4VEP. Yes, they've made a feature of producing the refurbished version of the VEP with seating in the former guards' area but at the cost of plonking the motor in plain sight in the open area of the vehicle..?

Hi,

I was talking to a friend about this a couple of weeks ago, in fact! Yes the motor is visible, but it is a fairly low profile motor, so it doesn't to much into the visible area. Plus when the motor is whizzing around a layout, you won't notice the motor much!

I'm sure the over-whelming amount of detail Hornby have put in to it will cover the fact of the motor

Does anyone here have any confirmed delivery dates for this model yet ?

The 4-VEP has delayed and the last I heard that it would be April. The liveried pre-production models have been around since the Glasgow show, so it shouldn't be too long!

Hope this helps

Simon

• RMweb Gold

If it's like the Bachmann 4-CEP then you can turn the body round yourself. Some of the 4-CEPs actually had the odd vehicle the wrong way round (one of mine included) and it was fairly easy to change ther body round (well fairly easy once you'd got the body off!).

• RMweb Premium

The body shells only of the blue FYE VEP were in the Hornby cabinet at Ally Pally today:

post-6910-0-20359100-1301159700_thumb.jpg

Several bits were missing and these looked like they had been shoved in the cabinet as a last minute after thought. Disappointing not to see a more complete model on display.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow, at last!! first sight of the blue version. I only vaguely remember seeing one unit in that livery at Fratton depot about 1971.

7756 was a Fratton based unit, certainly by 1982, what was its allocation history?

It'll be interesting to see which headcode they assign to it.

If this carries on as being promising, then it may be my birthday treat this year!

If it's like the Bachmann 4-CEP then you can turn the body round yourself. Some of the 4-CEPs actually had the odd vehicle the wrong way round (one of mine included) and it was fairly easy to change ther body round (well fairly easy once you'd got the body off!).

And then the seating unit won't match up...

I was talking to a friend about this a couple of weeks ago, in fact! Yes the motor is visible, but it is a fairly low profile motor, so it doesn't to much into the visible area. Plus when the motor is whizzing around a layout, you won't notice the motor much!

But it would be even less visible if it was in the brake compartment... There should be no practical reason to place the motor bogie at the open rather than the brake end of the carriage.

I'm sure the over-whelming amount of detail Hornby have put in to it will cover the fact of the motor

Unless that detail is an awful lot of curtains or a cloaking device, I think not... ;)

I can't find a good profile picture of the 423, but isn't the side of the connecting corridor supposed to be black?

It depends on the livery (for instance http://upload.wikime...on_Victoria.jpg and http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/3414_and_3419_at_London_Waterloo.JPG/800px-3414_and_3419_at_London_Waterloo.JPG), but in general they end up being thick with dirt on the sides of the ganway regardless of what the colour underneath was. I seem to recall they were nominally yellow (subject to grot) on BR Blue Grey but I don't remember them in Blue at all locally (London/Portsmouth line) but whether that was just being too young at the time or the line didn't get an early enough batch.

Painting the cab gangways black was a later mod, they were yellow and weathered black with dirt.

Blue VEP looks good.

Motor bogie is in no way low profile, it will be very visable. Also it will also not be in the same class as the Bachmann CEP, but hopefully multiple running will be ok. Worst element of model to me is the weedy roof vents, however, these can be replaced with castings.

Cheers.

I think the comment about the motor in the 'CGI pictures' show it in the passenger area is a mistake and the product will surely be in the van? I expect that was not spotted as the seating wasn't in the model when the picture taken and altered? Remember nearly all Hornby CGI shots are different from the finished product.

Wait and see as per usual if not then I'll wait until they get it right....

For all we know, BOTH motor bogies may have to be motorised if the LIMBY motor bogie is used, it's haulage capacities are notoriously poor, so the model would be even MORE accurate in this respect.

Hornby have probably done this to minimise the development time ( realising that they are already running behind schedule in bringing it to market ), and to keep development costs down ( which will be reflected in the RRP and the profit margin they can use to re-invest in future product development ).

In actual fact, given the amount of money they've borrowed from share-holders and investors to expand their empire they probably don't have any option but to keep the development costs down.

gillinghamgus - I was commenting from photos of a 90% fitted NSE model with pics of both sides of each coach (these pics are not mine). The motor is in the non brake end although on the refurbished motor brake it doesn't matter as it is a saloon of seating. It would make a difference on the Blue unrefurbished version.

Jeremy - As above there is only one motor bogie, but that should be enough to haul 3 lightish coaches. Not sure what you mean about RRP the VEP is more expensive than the Bachmann CEP for a lower spec.

Cheers.

87029, Does it say if this is the arrival date of the blue or NSE version?

All versions, including the digitally fitted, are shown as May 23rd. Although be aware that this is a best estimate and these dates are subject to change.

I thought i would pass on the news i have got directly from Hornby since i made a complaint regarding the delay to the VEPs. Edited from my email (gladly produce it all if required): Hornby says "the VEP now due for release in July."

They also apologised for there significant delays.

gillinghamgus - I was commenting from photos of a 90% fitted NSE model with pics of both sides of each coach (these pics are not mine). The motor is in the non brake end although on the refurbished motor brake it doesn't matter as it is a saloon of seating. It would make a difference on the Blue unrefurbished version.

I wasn't referring to any ones photo but the Computer Generated Image of the set showing the motor at the wrong end of the van coach... I expect this will be different to that in that CGI picture? unless they decided to place it there due reasons Hornby only see fit? as I said before the CGI pics that are in Hattons and the Hornby Web-sites are not those of the finished product.

Sorry, I was not being critical of your comments, the pics I have are from Hornby and used by a friend to advise Hornby of getting the NSE livery correct (see same pic in the April Rail Express). I am sure Hornby have their reasons for miss siting the motor bogie. I was worried when I saw the interior at Showcase and noted the fully modelled new seating section in the former brake van.

Really there was no way they could of hidden the motor bogie in the Refurb VEP without designing a completely new mechanisum like Replica.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone take some photos of the Hornby VEPs on display at DEMU 2011? I would love to see (either on the thread or PM).

I have been advised by email from the retailer i have a NSE VEP pre-ordered with it shall be in stock in July :)

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

For those who are on Facebook, Model Rail have posted pictures of the BR Blue version of 4-VEP at DEMU showcase.

Unfotunatly, I don't think these pictures are avaible to people who aren't on Facebook

Simon