Arthur's Workshop

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

Arthur,

Just wondered if you were planning for jointed coupling rods to allow for beam compensation or sprung hornblocks.

Regards,

I always supply both hinged and rigid coupling rods with my etches. I know that many who model in OO or EM will normally be happy with the rigid variety but I design the etches with P4 in mind. OK so it uses a bit more etch but I believe that I have to satisfy all three camps. If you look at the etches for the chassis you will see two compensation beams provided. Look more closely you will see the spacers 3&4 have an etched line this is intended to locate a 1mm brass rod on the top side. This will give the correct ride height for a beam at the centre of the leading axle. The rear beams bear on top of the standard (5mm square) axle bearings.

• RMweb Premium

NER CLASS W 4-6-0T

I have done a bit more work on the tanks. The cab doors were scratchbuilt thanks to an omissiom on the etch but it also told me that having a separate door was more trouble than it was worth. The artwork will be changed thave the door and the side plates in one piece. Any else is to fiddly. An etched line will suffice for the door edges.

I have also added the Beading. Why didn't I do this first before assembling the tanks as I usually do? it would have been so much easier. The beading is a wee bit short. In future I will make it too long and cut off any axcess. Easier that way. It is half etched to sit on top of the side sheets. The cab handdrails will sit in the half etch so avoiding the need for an accurately placed hole.

I have also added the reverse lever and the reverse rod which later disappears behind the tanks.

These are the results after cleanup.

post-6751-126987611026_thumb.jpg

post-6751-126987610222_thumb.jpg

Having got this far a trial assembly becomes irresistable. The tabs locate the tanks to the footplate and the front spectacle plate, which plugs into the tank tops holds everything together. The cab rear which also has the cab floor is simply stood at the rear.

post-6751-1269876604_thumb.jpg

post-6751-126987661069_thumb.jpg

post-6751-126987661817_thumb.jpg

post-6751-126987659789_thumb.jpg

On of the main reasons for these test builds is of course to show up errors on the artwork which would make assembly difficult if not impossible. But a seconary purpose is - could I have made assembly easier and more positive? I did find that I needed a more positive location for the tank rear to ensure that it sits at the correct height. A tab will be added similar to that on the tank front. Two tabs on the bunker side plate are excessive, one would have sufficed (not so on the 4-6-2 version where the tank is much longer). I had a lot of trouble with the reverse lever simply because the slot where it passes through the side platform was missing. I wonder where that went, it was in the original design. Also as I remarked above the cab beading should have been a little longer. But these things apart this first build has gone along pretty well, that is until I meet up with the next problem.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice , will it come with ?? the usual question rolleyes.gif castings ? Any idea when any of the kits will become available?

thanks

Mick

Hi Mick

For future output I intend to have castings available before offering the items for sale. This one is a bit easier in that it does not have outside cylinders which is what has been holding up the Q5. Having said that castings for the latter are in hand so that there may be an annoucement shortly.

The the first etches for the 4-6-2T version of the "W" are already with me but I am concentrating getting the 4-6-0T version sorted out first. Most of the problems with that will also read over to the other.

I also have the "production" etches for the B15 and revised etches for the Tennant 2-4-0 and the Q7 so getting that lot sorted out will take a little time.

Arthur

• RMweb Gold

Mention again of the 4-6-2 version has got me excited! I've dug out my Little Engines one, my first whitemetal loco kit, not a bad kit really, just my inexperience back then disapoints me! The date on it is 1994. Time for another go I think!

Thinks - Mmm, and i've got them D&S Clerestorys to go behind it...rolleyes.gif

• RMweb Premium

NER CLASS W 4-6-0T

I took the plunge and decided the time had come to unite top and bottom permanently. Only problem here was the nut soldered to the floor in the bunker. I need a little more space. Steps are in hand to move this 1.5mm aft to provide clearance. For this test I simply filed the nut thinner and removed a circular arc from the rear of the cab floor. and the soldering could start. There was a little damage to the upper footplate layer which is half etched. The tanks have been off and on far too many times because as I remarked earlier the tabs at the bunker end were giving a lot of troble. One more thing to add to the correction list.

This is the result so far. Still a bit of cleaning up to do. Some of it is still a bit rough but it is only a test build.

post-6751-127016160148_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127016160379_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127016160665_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127016159496_thumb.jpg

Must straighten those lamp irons! Now where are the boiler bits!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Arthur,

Your designs are really simple and look great. Are you going to sell the 3940 tender separatley as it would be ideal for a D20, and would you consider selling sets of castings of the fittings as I noted you mentioned you have the masters?

Kind regards

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Arthur,

Your designs are really simple and look great. Are you going to sell the 3940 tender separatley as it would be ideal for a D20, and would you consider selling sets of castings of the fittings as I noted you mentioned you have the masters?

Kind regards

Duncan

The 3940 Gallon Tender would suit a number of NER Locos including D17, D20, Q5, Q6 (early locos) and the B15. The last of these is already in the pipeline. The future of my etchings and the relevent castings is currently under review. Watch this space for further details.

I also have the 3038 Gallon tender for the J24 but it would suit a number of others including J21, J25, J26 and J27. The more modern 4125 Gallon Tender is also ready to put behind my Q7. This would also suit B16 and the C7.

Arthur

• RMweb Premium

NER CLASS W 4-6-0T

I got around to tinkering with the boiler this week. I realised before I started this that there was a dimensional error on the smokebox. It would not fit between the frames so out came the files to correct this. (The artwork is already corrected). The wrapper was then soldered in place. I chose the long smokebox version for this build but both long ang short an on the fret. Both have the same error. Next job was to roll the boiler. Then I had to add the former into tne front of the boiler and guess what? There wasn't one so I had to make one. That's life but that's what test builds are all about.

The results are given in the shots below.

post-6751-127082844537_thumb.jpg

post-6751-12708284531_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127082845904_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127082844228_thumb.jpg

Arthur,

The W's starting to look realy good now, its amazing what a difference the long smokebox makes to the look when compared with the short smokebox variant. I have stood for hours looking at the short smokebox one running on Bramblewick, which is where I first became aware of this loco. To my eye both are very elegant, well balanced, easthetically pleasing looking engines, one of the best looking tanks ever built.

Keep up the good work.

Steve T.

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN LOCO ETCHES

Readers of RMWEB may have noticed an entry in the "Small Suppliers" forum regarding my etches of NER locos. As the entry says I hope to be at Scaleforum North during both days of the coming weekend. I will be on hand to answer any queries regarding these etches and give advance information of other work in the pipeline.

As the entry says I hope to be at Scaleforum North during both days of the coming weekend. I will be on hand to answer any queries regarding these etches and give advance information of other work in the pipeline.

Excellent! See you sometime on Sunday Arthur.

• RMweb Premium

Developments in the ArthurK workshop.

No not a posting of photos of new constructions, Just returned from two days at Scalefourum North at Wakefield. I am hoarse with all that talking to visitors to David Geen's Stand.

In spite of that it was an immense pleasure to talk to customers (existing and would be). It enabled me to put faces to what had simply names on my lists and listen to comments and suggestions for addition models. Thank you all!

As you will realise David and I are planning to release at least some of my work as complete kits rather than me supplying etches alone. This should make resourcing any extra bits so much easier. It will be down to the builder to choose the motor/gearbox and wheels.

It is planned that the LNER class Q5 (NER T/T1) will be the first. Release date is planned for early September in time for EXPOEM NORTH at Slaithwaite. If all goes well this will be followed by the Q5/2 (with the ex H&BR boiler) and then the B15 (NER S2).

Please note that these kits will be released in batch runs of about a dozen at a time. Re-release will depend on the response to sales.

Visitors to Wakefield will be aware of the further extensions of my range of etches. The Tenant 2-4-0 and the NER "W" 4-6-0T will follow those listed above. Beyond that I have the Q7 3 cylinder 0-8-0. I will be posting initial photos of this latter sometime this week. Also planned is the 4-6-2T rebuild of the NER W (LNER A6).

The first three of my etches (J24, J77 and J73) are still available directly from myself although the J24 is currently out of stock. To reorder I will need advance orders for at least three. I am currently resourcing castings for these models. I will annouce their availability in due course.

Thanks for taking the time to talk Arthur and explain the design and construction of your kits, most interesting.

I'm looking forward to the release of the Q5 later in the year.

Darren.

.... Beyond that I have the Q7 3 cylinder 0-8-0. I will be posting initial photos of this latter sometime this week.....

Out of interest, might it be useful to compare notes with Dave Bradwell's Q6? If some or all castings can be shared, it might make life a bit easier....

Just a thought.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Arthur it was good to meet you and see what you have progressing in the flesh so to speak.

It sounds like you had a busy old time and I have to say I do like those nickel silver coaches.

Hello Rob, Yes it was good to meet up with people that I only knew by name.smile.gif

As regards the nickel silver coaches, yes they are nice, but they do have problems. First, being a tougher metal, forming the tumblehome is more difficult and tends to spring back to its original shape so that a lot more pressure is required. However the bigger problem is the folds in the coach end.If these are not correct first time then manipulating the end curve tends to cause fractures along that join.sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

For this reason it is likely that I will stick with brass.

Now if the coach ends were separate from the sides then nickel might be better, it is certainly stronger.

Like a few others it was good to meet you after swapping e-mails for the last 18 months, over the 3 (0.6.0) locos I now have and the design for the Class W etc. Again I must say how impressed I was with the gangwayed coaches, I had not realised how far you had progresed with these for the different diagram numbers. I hope you find the time to progress with them as well as the locos, they would certainly make a handsome rake on my layout.

Just to throw in a few other ideas on the loco front and it would be interesting to see what other modellers you spoke to over the weekend were asking for, my thoughts are for the 2.4.2 - F8, 4.6.2 - A7, 4.4.4 - H1, 4.8.0 - T1 and of course either of the Atlantics. That's without even thinking about the earlier pre 1900 loco's, but the Whitby Bogie is certainly a classic looking engine.

Good look with your venture with David Geen and I look forward to following the progress as things develope.

SteveT

Arthur

Which type of Tennant 2-4-0 are you making?

May I suggest any of the LNER X1-X3 class in particular Aerolite , as far as I know this loco and the others have ever been made as a kit ? They are all very attractive and ideal for the Officers Saloon I have , that needs pulling by something !!

I would also be interested in a LNER T1, A7 and a C Class Atlantic

cheers

Mick

• RMweb Premium

As the White Rabbit said "so much to do, so little time".

There are quite a few locos that I could add to the list of "to do" jobs most of those mentioned are on that list. I think that following the W and its 4-6-2T rebuild. I think I would probably go for something simple. The "A" class (LNER F8) would fit the bill nicely and I know that there are people out there that wpould like one. I didn't realise when I started all this that there were so many NER locos still missing or available as white metal and in some cases of quite elderly design. If there was time the big tanks (A7, A8 and T1) would certainly be amongst them as would the Atlantics. Perhaps the easiest following the B15 would be the B13 (NER S) as the major differences are relatively small (smaller boiler, new cab front plate and roof and different frame profile).

However putting the wish list to one side I must concentrate on getting the first in the queue finished. That means the Q5 and its variant Q5/2. Sorry but the others will have to take second place but that does not mean that work on those will stop. I will continue with these but probably more slowly.

• RMweb Premium

Arthur

Which type of Tennant 2-4-0 are you making?

May I suggest any of the LNER X1-X3 class in particular Aerolite , as far as I know this loco and the others have ever been made as a kit ? They are all very attractive and ideal for the Officers Saloon I have , that needs pulling by something !!

I would also be interested in a LNER T1, A7 and a C Class Atlantic

cheers

Mick

There is only one Tennant, that which is preservation. There were minor variations in detail but the clas of 20 were very "standard" in appearance. Major variations were in the number of coal rails on the tenders.

• RMweb Premium

Progress with the TENNANT 2-4-0

Those at ScaleFour North no doubt saw this in the flesh but for those that didn't here are a few photos of progress so far.

There is still a bit of cleaning up to do but the body is just about complete apart from the fittings.

Photos in bright sun always seem to show up every flaw especially solder where it shouldn't be.

post-6751-12717772063_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127177721244_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127177721858_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127177719888_thumb.jpg

I realise now that there is no need for the front outer frame axle box cutout. The axle boes will be dummies. This will be dispensed with and replaced by a simple location hole. If anyone feels like having a working front axlebox then sobeit but there is sliding axlebox provision on the inside frame.

Archived