PALLET LANE 1977 BR blue urban branch line

• 1 month later...

That will be Plate Path then :no:

After much careful consideration and deliberation (and a few pints of St Austell brewery "Proper Job") the chosen name will either bring a smile or groan.... Peafore Yard.

Pallet Lane is busy being readied for the Chippenham show, with the usual stock wheel cleaning but I have also been desperatley trying to pull the stops out to finish the 37's for the show but time has conspired against me. The roof fans are installed though, unfortunately no before or after pics but massive credit to Brian Hanson the etches are fantastic and a great improvement on the Bachmann original :

post-7400-0-81480100-1348079998_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A good show at Chippenham today great to meet up with some old and new friends, as ever the positive comments and constructive criticism always greatfuly received. 47077 made its debut on the first train of the day but wasn't running to my satisfaction so needs some closer inspection but initial thoughts are some misaligned and/or dirty pick ups, either way I managed a few photos of it. I also managed to purchase a Lima class 31, my first Lima acquistion for 10 years. Although the plan is to remotor or rechassis it, during a short test run the loco ran remarkable smoothly so I may try some extra pick ups first and go from there. Lazer glaze and other details plus full repsray also await.

Anyway here are the photos:

47077 on its only run

post-7400-0-26186900-1348947095_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-44080800-1348947147_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-42814400-1348947018_thumb.jpg

The cement yard with burnt out brakevan on the right

post-7400-0-54785400-1348947210_thumb.jpg

20214 nose first awaits to set off back to the mainline

post-7400-0-76313600-1348947252_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The class 37 battering continues now that Chippenham is out of the way with the fitment of new Shawplan etched window frames and laserglaze windows. An article recently appeared in Rail Express on fitting them which was extremely useful as I was keen to avoid a full repaint and fitting the glazing looks rather tricky.

The Extreme etches window surrounds are light years away from the old Shawplan etches, which I had fitted to numerous 37's over the years (see Railway Modeller Oct 2003) which had room for an element of error. The photo below shows a before and after comparison, the etches quite simply transform the front of the loco

post-7400-0-16186000-1350162916_thumb.jpg

The etches had been sprayed first and the glazing fitted before fitting them to the loco, before a deep breath and the old window dividing bars are cut out. Numerous iterations of filing then checking the etch are repeated until the frames sit snugly in place. So far 37009 and 032 are complete with 240 left to do, new wipers and weathering will be required to finish them off, the colour difference in the blue is not as obvious as the photo portrays but the weathering will blend it in nicely.

A by product of the new windows is the cab is now much more visible the Bachmann interior being dire, so more work required to improve these, although I think they require replacement from scratch.

The Hornby chassis for the class 31 has arrived, I am still undecided as to whether I strip the motor and bogies out of the Hornby block and put into the lima frame or secure the centre section of Hornby chassis as is in the shell.

On the layout some minor touching up of the scenery under the Wincanton warehouse as it was getting a bit thread bear in places. Some of the road vehicles of Pallet Lane will be on display in the Gas Cupboard in Trowbridge on the evening of Thursday 22nd November when I am doing a demo/ talk on how to improve proprietry road vehicles.

All of the 37's have had the Lazerglase windscreens fitted now, so I have been progressing with the bogie footsteps pictured earlier, all 3 locos have had both bogies on one side done, so at Thornbury at least they will have to be placed on the layout the right way round so to speak.

I have been cracking on with the class 31 mentioned earlier, my first task being to decide which loco it will become. I fancied a Bath Road 31 which were generally pretty unkempt, but the photo in the link below clinched it - it had to be 31210:

http://www.flickr.co...ohn/6095253549/

Snowploughs, deplorable condition and the broken headcodes just cried out to be modelled. This is a bit of a poignant project as my first every detailing and respray project was a Lima class 31 back in 2001 and signalled what I would call my transition from playing trains with RTR stock to taking modelling seriously.

The base loco is a Lima bodyshell, which I like a number of others think looks much better than the new Hornby shell, albeit requiring some work, and also marred by the poor by modern standards Lima mech. A Hornby chassis has been acquired to repower the detailled bodyshell, the idea being to create a class 31 that looks and runs the part. Below are the raw materials:

post-7400-0-51859500-1350769629_thumb.jpg

The plan is to use the centre Hornby section as is secured inside the shell as opposed to transferring the motor and towers to the Lima chassis frame. The Hornby chassis almost certainly started out under one of the first releases as it has broken where the cab ends meet the main central section, the cab ends not being present when I bought the chassis. This is not a massive issue as the original Lima ends can be reused, they need new buffers which I had to hand in stock. The valance under the bufferbeam is missing the central section as Lima omitted it to allow for the tension lock coupler. Looking at my reference pictures it is unclear if 31210 retains this with ploughs fitted, but I have put a piece of plasticard in there for now, when fully set it will be filed to shape.

post-7400-0-71571700-1350769947_thumb.jpg

Also in stock was a Shawplan fan grille, replacing the Lima moulded original, while the roof handrails have been removed and replaced with wire - all 19 of them!

• 4 weeks later...

More progress has been made on the class 31, I have been constructing the front doors on the loco with wire and plastic strip. The wire used is stripped from the freezer bag tags, being about 0.3mm thick, and the attributes that make it great for tying freezer bags together mean it is quite easy to work with. I have found I had missed the 8 handrails on the engine room roof so these have been added. I also noticed that when the power unit was changed from a Mirlees to an EE unit, the exhaust ports were modified. My Lima model represented the early type so I had to fill in the old ports and remake from plasticard strip:

post-7400-0-25892700-1352966578_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-31331000-1352966568_thumb.jpg

Pallet Lane is next out at Thornbury show on the 24th/25th November, say hi if you are passing, it's always nice to chat with fellow RM webbers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the photo, it also clarifies a problem I was having with the bufferbeam valances as they clearly have had a notch cut out for the snowploughs to be fitted, with the lower section removed. I had guessed this to be the case from other photos and took the same approach the other day to enable me to fit the snowploughs to the bufferbeam. I just need to crack on with fitting the lamp brackets and get it into the paint shop.

Layout wise it was out at Thornbury last weekend which was a great show but I forgot my camera both days so no pics sadly.

• 1 month later...

I was given an Airfix Bedford MK kit for Christmas, which has recently ended up on the workbench. Other than the complexities of painting the single piece clear plastic cab, it looked a pretty straightforward kit. Being one for a bit of a challenge, the thought of building it out of the box didn't really appeal so looked around for a way of building a different body on it. Now 4x4 trucks aren't exactly numerous and most of the non military versions I found were later conversions of ex military trucks, all of which would still have been in service in 1977. My initial thoughts were to build a British Telecom pole carrier but having dug out some pictures, these had the civilian cab and the wheels were standard road wheels, meaning the EFE or Oxford diecast version would be a better starting point. So back to the drawing board, and the obvious answer was presented when my car was showered in grit driving down the M4 in the snow back in January. Some quick flickr research showed up some MK based gritting lorries - perfect.

Anyway here is progress to date:

attachicon.gifDSC07165.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07166.JPG

The chassis has been built out of the box, the spare wheel and winch being left off. The body is scratchbuilt on the cut down original kit floor, the mudguards also being salvaged from the kit. The detail for the end of the belt which discharges the grit were predominently from the left over bits from my Motorail kit bash, the mechanism being built based on some pics I have found on the net. I need to make a plough bracket for the front although I won't be making/fitting the plough. The justification for the appearance of a gritter during the summer is it is on its way for MOT!

Hi

Any more work on your snow plough  just been looking at your layout very nice work keep it up 

Ferryhill tmd

Hi

Any more work on your snow plough  just been looking at your layout very nice work keep it up 

Ferryhill tmd

Sorry only just seen this, It is now finished,(including trade plates) so will post some pictures shortly as I need to remember where in the house I have put it! 

• 1 month later...

No update on the layout or the 31 (other than it is now blue) as we are shortly to have an extension built to the house and hence modelling work has been on the back burner but Pallet Lane is at next weekend's Basingstoke show so say hi if you are passing.

• 2 weeks later...

Another good show at Basingstoke at the weekend, great to meet a few more new RM web folk. I also returned home with another loco and one that will break the stranglehold on BR Blue on Pallet Lane! The loco in question is a Bachmann class 03, the first of the latest model (31-361) being a green model with wasp stripes and flower pot exhaust. This is a perfect base model for 03382 which was one of only 3 class 03's to wear TOPS numbers in green, surviving until 1980 until getting a coat of blue.

The next outing is Calne in January 2014 and I am hoping to have a minor spruce up of the layout by then. As Pallet Lane has been on the circuit for 6 years and has endured 3 house moves in that time things like the black front to the the lights and baseboards have small chips in the paint etc. 

• 1 month later...

Apologies for this thread becoming more workbench than layout orientated but as mentioned earlier the demolition of half the house and prep for new extension has curtailled much work on the layout, preventing any spraying of the 31 and LMS BG. In the meantime I have cracked on with 03382, other than the fitting of 3 links the model is unmodified, work being confined to renumbering and weathering which is easily acomplished on the kitchen table.

Colour photos of the real 03382 in Green were hard to come by, but things that were clear from the couple I found were:

- The loco had a yellow bufferbeam, unusual as they were originally red and only ever seem to be repainted when locos went blue. The colour of the coupling rods could not be identified but we presumed to still be red, either way heavy weathering would be required to obscure the colour.

- The original number was intact under the paint under the TOPS number, so the original Bachmann numbers were left in place (only 1 digit is wrong for the prototype) and painted over as opposed to being removed.

- The Lion and wheel emblem was still in place but heavily worn away.

The pictures below show the finished article, weathered using washes, dry brushing and powders. Overall it looks ok and passable for the layout and will hopefully look great on the train of Blue Circle Presflos which appear in many photos of 03382 on its way to Avon Street:

post-7400-0-38174700-1365965655_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-26795000-1365965740_thumb.jpg

Talking of Blue Circle, my Scammell Routeman cement lorry has attracted many positive comments over the years, and most recently appeared on the Gas Cupboard website as proprietor Dave Simpson is a big fan. I have always said I wouldn't do another one due to the work involved grafting a cab onto a new chassis and scratchbuilding the body but Road Transport Images have now released the Tank body making life much easier. As my new layout will also have a cement terminal but on a larger footprint, one lorry would look a bit lost so I have decided to model another one based on the slightly smaller 6 wheel Leyland Bison's:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/6838041927/

Never being one to make life easy for myself the MK2 cab used on the Blue circle Bison's is not readily available but you have a choice for the MK1 which is made by EFE, Oxford and RTI. The main differences were the front grille and bumper design which can be built from some plasticard and filler. The MK2 cab sits slightly higher above the mudguards and this would be very difficult to modify so will have to be left alone sadly.

Courtesy of RTI being at Trainwest and the Gas Cupboard having the Oxford 6 wheel chassis in stock, I now have the basis ready for the conversion:

post-7400-0-51635800-1365965597_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

First update for 8 months, absolutely nothing has happened on the layout since the last post due to my life being dominated by finishing our house extension, Pallet Lane is out at Calne on the 18th/19th January 2014, (barring snow storms like last year although even then I will get there somehow!), this is the only booking I have for it for 2014 or for that matter any other year to allow some time to be spent on the new layout, if you come please say hi!.

I decided to set up the 2 narrow boards tonight to tend to some damaged scenery in readiness for Calne and also did some weathering on some stock that has been floating around in the progress box for a while:

31210 - More to do but it's starting to come together and hopefully will be a reasonable result. It has been a satisfying project and good to do some old school modelling.

post-7400-0-20079600-1388349557_thumb.jpg

LMS BG - A slightly more straightforward product this is the old Bachmann model. To make it more interesting I decided to remove the old gangway as happened to many (but not all) of these vans. I kept the original Bachmann paintjob, but had to repaint the ends and chose to renumber it to M31407. Ironically in preservation M31407 has had the gangway reinstated!

post-7400-0-36489600-1388349809_thumb.jpg

Newton Chambers Car Carrier - I built this model ages ago and it does not see use on Pallet Lane but will be used on a future project. I was not happy with some of the weathering so it is seeing further attention and will get a coat of varnish when finished

post-7400-0-48262200-1388349889_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Pallet Lane is at the Calne show the next 2 days, if you are passing by feel free to say hi and have a chat.

As it stands I have no future bookings for Pallet Lane and have given some thought as to what I want to do in the future with the layout. I currently have no space to keep the layout permanently up at home and with the new layout planned want to focus time and energy on that. I have learnt a lot from building the layout, but want to progress my skills further and with all that in mind (plus an empty bank balance) I have taken the decision to sell Pallet Lane after this weekend show. The layout has plenty of life left in it and is great fun to operate, making it an ideal prospect for somebody else to take on, either as a home layout or first time exhibition layout.

• RMweb Premium

Great to chat to you at Calne earlier today, Rob. I hope the relief driver arrived at some point to give you a PNB and a look round the show!

I hope that Pallet Lane goes to a good home, and look forward to seeing its successor in due course.

Great to chat to you at Calne earlier today, Rob. I hope the relief driver arrived at some point to give you a PNB and a look round the show!

I hope that Pallet Lane goes to a good home, and look forward to seeing its successor in due course.

Thanks Adrian, good to catch up, Chris took over for a bit so I could get a rest and look round.

I have a few minor repairs to do on the layout before making a concerted effort to sell the layout but had some mixed emotions as 37032 hauled the last train off the layout for a while. On one hand I have had fun over the last few years And found the layout a joy to operate so will be sad to see it go but on the other I am looking forward to trying new techniques on the new layout and don't want pallet lane to gather mould and dust in the loft for a few years.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

For the first time in 18 months I set Pallet Lane up today as I have somebody coming to look at it with a view to buying it tomorrow. I have had a lot of fun with Pallet Lane and it was great to operate it again so it is with some sadness that I am moving it on but I would rather somebody else have some enjoyment out of it

I had a couple of small repairs to do and remove the accumulated dust but despite the in-activity everything worked as it should do, 45132 and 03382 were the nominated test locos:

post-7400-0-50465100-1437927004_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-37931500-1437927019_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-55694400-1437927029_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-84280600-1437927057_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-49500600-1437927072_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The rest of Pallet Lane has now sold, and this bit is staying very local to me in Chippenham as it has been bought by a prominent local collector of D&E model railways. So that's it from me with this thread, thanks for all the likes and comments over the years!

Archived