Bachmann Mark 2 coaches

mark alden

... Are Bachmann themselves aware that these are at the top of so many peoples wish lists ?

I remember Mr Bachmann was asked by my pal at Ally Pally about air-con mk 2s, and we were told "If you want them , buy the Hornby ones" ...

Well, that is consistent with their frequent statements to the effect that the UK model railway market is not large enough to support much in the way of product duplication. They also adhere to the principle of 'try a genre; if it sells broaden the range, if not walk away'. Their mk1 coaches appear to sell strongly, particularly in the first three BR liveries. Mk2s not nearly so well. Where would you invest in tooling more coaches with that market feedback? (Bear in mind that most of the mk1s have a pretty gross inaccuracy in the form of the over-prominent roof seams, which makes them worse for general appearance than the mk2 in my opinion.)

Model Rail are supposed to be commissioning MK2 aircons in conjunction with Murphy Models who are also producing the Irish versions.

Good news, but will that mean a two or three year embargo before general release versions can be produced?

(Bear in mind that most of the mk1s have a pretty gross inaccuracy in the form of the over-prominent roof seams, which makes them worse for general appearance than the mk2 in my opinion.)

Hardly difficult to fix that though and it looks better with a slight hint of the seam left than the newer coaches with no rib at all where you have to scribe something in..

Apart from the RMB the new mk1 tool is a commission (Modelzone TPO).

Following much criticism of livery errors on the Blue & Grey versions, they were apparently very slow to sell.

I think theres a lesson in there somewherebiggrin.gif

This again. Whilst Ron's two statements are undoubtedly true in isolation, I'm far from convinced they're linked in the way popularly-repeated opinion might suggest. As Paul says, other relatively minor errors on other models dont hinder sales.

I'm not sure if I entirely agree with that - I can certainly think of at least one example of a model with a relatively small livery error hanging around long after others released at the same time have been sold. The model in question being the Bachmann version of 37431, Bullidae, which had a white lower bodyside, rather than Exec. Light Grey. This was the only one that I remember staying in the Hattons list, heavily discounted, for quite some time.

Depending on how you look at it, you could classify the Dapol MBA as having slight errors, and those clearly haven't sold well - in last weeks Kernow newsletter they were flogging them off for £9.99!

I'm not sure if I entirely agree with that - I can certainly think of at least one example of a model with a relatively small livery error hanging around long after others released at the same time have been sold.

Obviously the exception that proves the ruletongue.gif

Seriously, I was generalising, I maybe should have said 'some other models...' There are I believe other factors with the Mk2s, I think most potential buyers didnt understand enough about typical formations of the era to buy them with confidence. The error on the blue/grey cant be the only reason because the NSE ones also stick, dont they?

And as for 37431, it's just as 'well known' that post-Sector modellers are far more picky about livery errorswink.gif

The error on the blue/grey cant be the only reason because the NSE ones also stick, dont they?

The TSO's haven't - guess who didn't buy enough of those when they were available :rolleyes:

;)

Seriously though, they seem to have followed the same sales profile as the Blue/Grey ones, but have hung around a lot longer. Having said that, though, I don't think there have been any re-runs of any of the NSE version.

With my 'picky sectorisation modeller' head on I could say that they haven't sold that well as most of the NSE ones were 2b's and 2c's... ;) :P

• RMweb Premium

The latest three Mk2's have arrived in the familiar brown paper and string.

Does anyone have an actual record of the Old Oak FK sets as formed, either by carriage number or vehicle type?

• 1 month later...

Got the last avaliable blue/grey Mk2z (vac braked) TSO from the Covent Garden Museum shop yesterday.

Not because I particularly needed it at at the current moment (though it will help add some occasional variety in my blue/grey Mk1 set), but as a contingency in-case no more appear for several years.

I did my best to explain to the lady serving that these are now rather like 'gold dust'.

Although of course it could always go on e-bay!!!!! (Only joking.)

• 2 months later...

I see that the Murphy Models Mk2 aircon restaurant coach in Irish livery is now becoming available here through Modelfair and others. I'm confused. Was that model commissioned by Murphy from Bachmann - or is it via another manufacture?

I see that the Murphy Models Mk2 aircon restaurant coach in Irish livery is now becoming available here through Modelfair and others. I'm confused. Was that model commissioned by Murphy from Bachmann - or is it via another manufacture?

It's another manufacturer. Murphy's Models only used Bachmann for their class 141/181 locos and the repainted MK2a's.

• 7 years later...

you mean the Mk2s?    remove the bogies and you will find a screw underneath each one plus one in the centre of the coach rather like the mk1.

not sure if they are put together in the same as a mk1 with its separate sides and separate roof with coach ends attached.   once those are out it should become apparent what you have to access the insides.

you mean the Mk2s?    remove the bogies and you will find a screw underneath each one plus one in the centre of the coach rather like the mk1.

not sure if they are put together in the same as a mk1 with its separate sides and separate roof with coach ends attached.   once those are out it should become apparent what you have to access the insides.

Many thanks. I have a maroon FK I intend to take apart and add lighting to, but I couldn't find any information on how to get into the coach in the first place!

Cheers,

Gavin

I don't think any screws needed to be removed. BUT its been ages since I've been into my sole MkII.

However I do recall that there are clips along the body side that hold it to the chassis. sliding finger nails between bottom of body and chassis, pulling outwards slightly should be enough to release the clips. Body should then come off, possibly with the interior still within it.

Check that there are no screws in the base (aside from the bogie screws).

Maybe someone else can confirm If I'm talking nonsense....!

• 3 months later...

The latest three Mk2's have arrived in the familiar brown paper and string.

Does anyone have an actual record of the Old Oak FK sets as formed, either by carriage number or vehicle type?

Hello was looking for some carriage formations on WoE trains and came across this...

BR(W) Passenger Train Marshalling 14 May to 30 Sep 1984

Circuit Working OM 255

06.20 O.O.Common to Reading .........

07.17 Reading to Newbury MSX due 07.49

08.22 Newbury to Paddington MSX due 09.17

10.27 Paddington to Penzance SX due 16.23

05.15 Plymouth to Exeter St. D. ........

06.45 Exeter St.D to Paddington MO due 09.30

K      FK(b)   (d)       

J-C   7FK     (d)       

B      FK

A      BFK     (d)

10/350 tonnes

Timing load 350 tonnes

Air braked. Electric heating. 100 mph. Mark II A/B/C

(b) Mark IID vehicle

(d) declassified

Additionally FLOOD of this very thread posted some carriage sightings at Exeter St.D. on the 31st August 1985 an all first was this one.

1V81     09.17 Leeds - Penzance           [8 Coach W.R. AB/EH]

47627   13473  13511   13215     17118   13512   3393     13530   13479

---         FK2a    FK2b    FK           BFK2c  FK2b    FO2f     FK2c    FK2b

ad OM  ad OM  xdB1 OM ad OM  ad OM  ae MA  ad OM  ad OM

• RMweb Premium

Hello was looking for some carriage formations on WoE trains and came across this...

BR(W) Passenger Train Marshalling 14 May to 30 Sep 1984

Circuit Working OM 255

06.20 O.O.Common to Reading .........

07.17 Reading to Newbury MSX due 07.49

08.22 Newbury to Paddington MSX due 09.17

05.15 Plymouth to Exeter St. D. ........

06.45 Exeter St.D to Paddington MO due 09.30

K      FK(b)   (d)       

J-C   7FK     (d)       

B      FK

A      BFK     (d)

10/350 tonnes

Timing load 350 tonnes

Air braked. Electric heating. 100 mph. Mark II A/B/C

(b) Mark IID vehicle

(d) declassified

Additionally FLOOD of this very thread posted some carriage sightings at Exeter St.D. on the 31st August 1985 an all first was this one.

1V81     09.17 Leeds - Penzance           [8 Coach W.R. AB/EH]

47627   13473  13511   13215     17118   13512   3393     13530   13479

---         FK2a    FK2b    FK           BFK2c  FK2b    FO2f     FK2c    FK2b

ad OM  ad OM  xdB1 OM ad OM  ad OM  ae MA  ad OM  ad OM

There were at least two sets of Mk2 first class coaches (Mk2b/c FKs predominating) that were declassified and worked the Paddington/West of England circuit. One diagram included the 10.27 Paddington to Penzance (as above) and the other the 10.50 Penzance to Paddington (loco off the down TPO). Had many a run in them.

• RMweb Premium

There were at least two sets of Mk2 first class coaches (Mk2b/c FKs predominating) that were declassified and worked the Paddington/West of England circuit. One diagram included the 10.27 Paddington to Penzance (as above) and the other the 10.50 Penzance to Paddington (loco off the down TPO). Had many a run in them.

Two sets.  OC254 and 255.  The exact make-up of both varied from time to time but they were based upon spare Mk2 first class stock with all but a single vehicle (sometimes an FK, sometimes a BFK) for declassified.  At times they included a standard class Mk2b TSOT or Mk2c TSOB and less commonly a Mk1 RMB.  With no catering vehicle in the rake refreshments were provided from a trolley in a foretaste of the new regime currently arriving on the Paddington - Penzance trains.  

These diagrams became well known and were often used by those seeking haulage amid a sea of HSTs or riding in the old order.  On the whole both up and down Penzance workings were fairly quiet which might have been why these trips were selected.  The formations were considered HST substitutes before the full fleet was available and whilst speed behind a 47 was limited to 95mph (100mph if a 50 was rostered) they could not quite match full HST point-to-point timings east of Exeter.

Archived