Model Shops in Sheringham; Norfolk

50027Lion

Hi Chris,

The model shop in Station Road (Auto-Loco?) changed hands last September and has mostly switched to selling die-cast models, and second-hand stuff or it certainly seemed that way when I last visited in May. They do stock Metcalfe kits and another range of card kits, the name of which escapes me. The North Norfolk Railway station at Sheringham sell Dapol 00 wagons only, I believe.

There is a Newsagent/Toy/Model Shop nearer the beach which sells Hornby at ridiculous prices, which may account for all the dust on the models in the display cabinets!!!

The Model shop in Hunstanton is a far better bet.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brian

Hi, Chris!

As Brian has more or less said, don't bother!

Auto-Loco is excellent if you want 3-rail Hornby Dublo or old railway books! Last time I went there (first and last time since it changed hands), I could barely walk round for all the boxes of 3-rail track covering the floor, and the boxes of second-hand books being priced onto some racks.

GE Models (used to be in the old Waterloo WH Smiths on the platform at Sheringham Station) is now just a stain on an empty platform. The souvenir shop in the main station building has, as has been said, a reasonable stock of Dapol special edition 4-wheel freight stock.

Starlings, the toy/book/stationery/newsagents/post office only stock Hornby and Peco at retail list prices (at the lowest!)

Nearest decent model shop, as has been said, is 'round the corner', nearly 30 miles west at Hunstanton .

Inland, in Dereham (or East Dereham) there is another avoidable branch of Starlings, but also Hobby World, who also have a shop in King's Lynn (in a tool shop). Good Bachy/Farish/Hornby/Peco/bits & pieces selection in Dereham and at a small discount on RRP (or perhaps that's just for regulars, but try asking if he'll haggle. Partly depends on who is behind the counter - the boss seems to be the one to ask!)

If you still have to go to Sheringham, the only good value deals are in the crab sandwich kiosk near the seafront - definitely makes the day worthwhile!

12 inch to the foot scale at Sheringham Station (NNR) and Weybourne is the other redeeming feature, but it's a no-go zone for models!

Hello Chris,

If you have your own transport, you could always try the Bure Valley Railway shop at their station at Aylsham (NR11 6BW on the sat-nav), a few miles down the A140 in the Norwich direction.

Was in there a couple of weeks ago when as usual, they had good stocks of Hornby, Bachmann and Peco at very reasonable prices. Could be worth a visit!

HTH

Rob

PS, forgot to mention the Graham Farish and 4mm scale die-cast cars too!

I agree with the previous comments regarding the Sheringham shops and endorse the model shop at the Bure Valley Railway in Aylsham, which is my local. If you are passing through Norwich then Great Eastern Models provides a wide selection including second hand.

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your help.

Looks like a lot has changed over the years! I know what you mean about those crab sandwiches!

So it will mean a trip to the shop on the NNR for a DVD and book titled: The Crossing set (has anyone bouight it?).

Regards

Chris

• 3 months later...

Hunstanton Models was up for sale as a going concern when I called last week. I can recommend NNR for good discounts on RTR 00 & N, plus a good miniature railway! Auto-Loco was closed when I got there in the evening, but there looked a fair amount of secondhand through the window, especially Dinkies and Scalextric.

Can't really recommend Norfolk for good weather though, as it rained more than it does in North Wales most of the week...

Tony

• 3 years later...

HI Just to add my bit.most of the second hand stuff in Auto-Loco i had a look at when in there was tat priced at crazy prices. there must have been about 600 old magazines also priced at a daft asking price. Food and good beer the two life boats at the bottom of the high street well recommended

• RMweb Gold

I have bought several items from Bure Valley shop at less than box shifter prices. Easy free car park too so an easy stop off if you are using the A140 to get to Sheringham. If you check out the Bure Valley Railway website you will find the model shop's latest list of bargains. If you have time you could leave the car there, catch the BVR to Wroxham and change to the regular railway to get to sheringham. There's plenty of buses back from Sheringham on route 44

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Dennis Lovett for the following info.

GE Model's closure three or four years back was due to the owner (Gordon Eckersley) passing away after a short illness. After the W.H.Smith bookstall was reclaimed by the NRM –G.E. Models was housed in a portacabin building on the same site.  Prior to opening in Sheringham, Gordon had operated in Bletchley, Milton Keynes before being invited to take over the model shop on Sheringham station on the retirement of the owner of the previous business.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stuck my head in Auto-loco a couple of weeks ago whilst in the area on Holiday. A bit sparse on all fronts really. 

GE in Norwich is always worth a visit though, and if you are out Lowestoft way Parrs on London Road is a veritable treasure trove!

Tom. 

• 5 years later...
On 07/07/2014 at 15:54, TomE said:

Stuck my head in Auto-loco a couple of weeks ago whilst in the area on Holiday. A bit sparse on all fronts really.

After a couple of years of very erratic opening due, I think, to ill health, Auto-Loco is now permanently closed and offered for sale.

I'd hazard a guess and say the chances of it re-opening as a model shop are zero. It's in a prime location on Sheringham high street near the clock tower, so yet another charity shop or cafe is most likely. Sign of the times.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I went in auto loco a couple of weeks back and bought a vanguard 1800

There were some friends or relatives of Graham the owner saying they are trying to sell the business as a going concern.

Would be nice to have a model shop in town but can't see it unless someone on here wants it.

Twenty years ago we had three outlets of model railways in the town

GE models on the station,  where I used to help Gordon with his shop , I actually live with his stepdaughter 

Auto loco,  and starlings also used to sell some stuff too, still not all bad we Bouys toys at cromer model scenery at Northrepps and the bure valley at Aylsham

Something not a lot of folk know about Starlings... they still have all the Hornby stock in the backroom. It's not been on display for a couple of years now, and even then most of it was from previous catalogues dating back up to 10 years and possibly longer. I gather it didn't exactly fly out of the doors as it was all offered at full RRP and sat in the display cabinets for ages. I sometimes wonder what hard-to-find gems they're unwittingly sitting on.

Re: Auto-Loco, I have sympathy, but the "going concern" aspect is a bit laughable. It was rarely open and 90% secondhand. I think Peco and Corgi/Oxford Diecast were the only brands to supply the shop with new goods apart from paints/varnish/glues and Evergreen styrene. There are also some shockingly bad reviews of the place if you search Google.

If I was in the market for a startup, I'd want to cultivate a relationship with Hornby/Bachmann/Dapol etc and offer a mail-order service. The shop itself is also in dire need of a refit to bring it into the 21st century. I hope someone has deep pockets. Alas, I wouldn't take the risk.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

I was in Sheringham last Thursday, a lovely day with plenty of people in the town, but sadly Auto-Loco was shut. Bure Valley Models at Aylsham the day before was very much open with good stocks and competitive prices.

On the plus side, there are discount bookshops in both Sheringham and Cromer with a good stock of railway books, and secondhand bookshops in both towns.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, russ p said:

Will starlings still sell it of is the village idiot just keeping it. They also did some peco stuff at one time

N gauge stuff too, I only recently disposed of an old school Farish Black 5 bought there in about 1980.

• Like 1

We are very fortunate in Sheringham as within a short distance we have very good model railway shops: Buoys Toys & Models in Cromer, Model Scenic Supplies in Northrepps and Bure Valley Models in Aylsham.

Paul

Edited by PaulG
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/08/2019 at 17:21, caradoc said:

I was in Sheringham last Thursday, a lovely day with plenty of people in the town, but sadly Auto-Loco was shut. Bure Valley Models at Aylsham the day before was very much open with good stocks and competitive prices.

On the plus side, there are discount bookshops in both Sheringham and Cromer with a good stock of railway books, and secondhand bookshops in both towns.

I was in Cromer a few weeks ago, and came across "the Discount Books and Jigsaw co."  in Tucker Street behind St Peter and Paul church.  Full of railway and transport books.  (and jigsaws, obviously).  Worth a look if you're passing through and have a  little time to spare.

(I'd also recommend the Art House cafe if you're looking for afternoon tea as well).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

I was in Cromer a few weeks ago, and came across "the Discount Books and Jigsaw co."  in Tucker Street behind St Peter and Paul church.  Full of railway and transport books.  (and jigsaws, obviously).  Worth a look if you're passing through and have a  little time to spare.

(I'd also recommend the Art House cafe if you're looking for afternoon tea as well).

I'D second that, but if you're Just in  Sheringham, then down the road from the Little theatre towards the sea is another book shop selling mostly the same range of books.. In Cromer if you go down "New Street" there is a secondhand book shop with a good section of model railway books..

Auto loco used to have a sign in it "across the road in the pub", then it changed to "gone sailing".. but it's some time  since I've found it open.. After came under the current owner, I went in there several times and bought stuff. but then it started going down hill with very little of interest.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Big plug time...

The Broadland Model railway Club http://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/

Aylsham Model Railway Exhibition 2019

The 2019 Model Railway Exhibition, sponsored by the Bure Valley Railway, will be held again in.

The Jubilee Centre,

Aylsham,

NR11 6JG

on Saturday 5th October between 10.00 and 16.00 (10am and 4pm).

Note If you get the BVR train from Hoveton, the return ticket includes free entry to the show,.

Public car parking is at the BVR, we normally arrange for an old bus to give free transport to the Jubilee Centre, but it's only 400 yards  up the road..

Limited Disabled parking at the Jubilee Centre.

Due to building work at the Jubilee centre, some of the layouts / demonstrations etc  may be at the BVR Aylsham..

The following layouts and traders are confirmed for 2019:

Layouts:

Layout             Scale  Gauge    Period/Location

All Cars Stop Here  OO            Hong Kong influenced tram stop

Arlingham              4mm  EM  50s/60s ex-GE branch

Barrow Fells          2mm N      West Coast mainline modern

Bedford Road       7mm O      Diesel Depot

Blacklade              4mm OO   85-90 or 2000-2007 North Midlands

Broad Oak             4mm  OO  Eastern Region ex Great Central

BVR in minature   7mm O9    Aylsham Station 2010-15

Cobbold’s Wharf  7mm S7    East Anglia based on Ipswich docks

Coltishall               4mm OO    60s/70s Coltishall, Norfolk

Gillsbrook             4mm OO    ex-GE 50s/60s Essex/Hertfordshire

Hartenberg                   N       Bavarian Era2 Tramway

Iceni Cement        4mm OO  East Anglia 60s/70s

Jusabit MPD          7mm   O   Early BR motive power depot

Operation Abyss 4mm OO   Wartime dockside

Ringsford              4mm OO  East Anglia 50s/60s

Thomas and Friends, Child friendly, hands on.

Traders:

Bob Pearman Books

Bure Valley Railway

Coast2Coaster

Dave Rowlands

Joe Lock

JustinCase

Train Tech

Demonstrations

Advent Modellers

Loco Doctor

Nigel Fisher

DCC

Societies

B17 Steam Loco Trust

Class 47 Preservation Project

Friends of the BVR

North Norfolk Model Engineers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, railroadbill said:

That's the one I was in ! The one in Sheringham is part of the same group.

Edited by caradoc
Spelling mistake
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Big plug time...

The Broadland Model railway Club http://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/

Aylsham Model Railway Exhibition 2019

The 2019 Model Railway Exhibition, sponsored by the Bure Valley Railway, will be held again in.

The Jubilee Centre,

Aylsham,

NR11 6JG

on Saturday 5th October between 10.00 and 16.00 (10am and 4pm).

Note If you get the BVR train from Hoveton, the return ticket includes free entry to the show,.

Public car parking is at the BVR, we normally arrange for an old bus to give free transport to the Jubilee Centre, but it's only 400 yards  up the road..

Limited Disabled parking at the Jubilee Centre.

Due to building work at the Jubilee centre, some of the layouts / demonstrations etc  may be at the BVR Aylsham..

That's a - the annual East Anglian O Gauge Gathering is at Bury St Edmunds the following day, Sunday 6th, and I'm not at all sure I can get a pass for two consecutive days. Bob Pearman will be at both and Cobbold's Wharf was at the same Bury gig last year.