REx Modeller 170 - July 2010

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Now arriving through the letterboxes of the nation if you are a subscriber (and I suspect will be in the shops next week) Rail Express 170 is here.

Lovely shot of the Great Western liveried 57 on the front cover but to the modelling section I shall hereby proceed:

Comment - News that we already know about REx moving to a new publisher and the new arrangements for the Ltd Edn's. Accompanied by a lovely big picture of the Bachmann 2-EPB prototype which has made my wallet scream even more now...

Two pages of various forthcoming models that were on show at DEMU

Three pages of detailing up and making thoroughly filthy your Hornby banger blue Class 50 plus another page with prototype information.

Other items include the imminent Modelzone TPO coach (review to follow next month apparently) the test shots of Hornby's Railroad Limby Class 40 and 33. brief summary of Dapol's new cantenary and confirmation of the Class 143/144 Pacer from Real Track.

There is also the usual Mostyn rumblings and an awful lot of adverts.

Guest Phil

Yes

I have changed my stance on Mostyn from this issue. I used to look forward to the varied Mostyn rolling stock projects in REx but a load of waffle about post exhibition blues in the latest issue screams "call time" on the Mostyn page. Perhaps this issue should have neatly seen the end to the project in REx following new ownership of the mag, but guess it won't happen.

Adverts - agreed John reminds you of the "Todeller".

Another issue I'm glad I didn't buy.

I did notice the increase? in adverts in this issue. I dont mind the usual and useful Hattons page(s) but what was that double page ebay look-a-like thing all about??????

As for Mostyn I do enjoy the progress reports they give but like you two gents the run up to the show like last issue was triersome, maybe it is time to call time on the project in the mag and start with a new one?

I'd like to see more detailing projects in this section though and reviews considering the amount of new models released this month and coming along next.

The big thing is the stated release date of the mag and the actual arrival 24th June againest the 30th June. Im also a little worried about the lack of follow up information on the forthcoming models, I know they've set up a new website but the address doesnt work.

All in all a decent mag, not read it through yet.

Northants PC - Marc.

A nice annotated diagram of the Hornby Class 50 this issue, useful for adding parts, but that double page auction advert, and to add slight bit of insult, theres an advert page right after the first page of the Hornby 50 article?!

The mostyn page in my eyes has gone downhill, just more things about exhibitions theyre attending and work theyve done on the layout itself etc etc, mainly text with at least one picture thrown in, The Mostyn section I used to enjoy reading even though its not my era...

perhaps more annotated diagrams and projects now were in the summer could be a step forward to REXmodeller??

NL

Because advertisers PAY for it, that's why! Advertising helps pay for editorial content - direct quote from Chris Leigh on one of the Model Rail mag threads. Can't get much more of an informed view. You might not agree with the content, but business is business.

Nice article on the 50. Be interesting how the modelling section develops. Talking to Gareth the other week, he said the intention is to up the number of pages.

Because advertisers PAY for it, that's why!

Touchysmile.gif I didnt think John was asking for reasons, I thought he was just making an observation.

• RMweb Premium

I was just making an observation. Yes you need advertising to pay the bills of course but my impression was that there were more than usual and its tended to drown out the editorial content, the Class 50 article was almost lost amidst the adverts.

As for the Mostyn ongoing saga, I gave up on that one after the laughable episode where they tried to blame DCC problems at Ally Pally on the huge TV transmitter on the roof - Cobblers of the first water.

Touchysmile.gif
- bit unfair on calling Chris Leigh this I think! When he posted the original comment, he was afterall responding to a query about advertising in Model Rail. I simply copied it across onto here. The old chestnut of advertising v content gets raised every so often and it was nice to have an informed view from Chris.

As for the Mostyn ongoing saga, I gave up on that one after the laughable episode where they tried to blame DCC problems at Ally Pally on the huge TV transmitter on the roof - Cobblers of the first water.

FWIW I know of other folk who have had similar localised issues with their DCC kit in the same venue, although we didn't suffer from any of that and we were maybe 30' away from them? We no longer have any 1025 chips in use either though. Our "tech" problems were limited to overheating boosters.

It must be the only place in London where my mobile phone won't work reliably though! biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

FWIW I know of other folk who have had similar localised issues with their DCC kit in the same venue, although we didn't suffer from any of that and we were maybe 30' away from them? We no longer have any 1025 chips in use either though. Our "tech" problems were limited to overheating boosters.

We had some issues with Lotty BUT, and its a big BUT, it was the whole layout that was affected not just one line, and the scenic section only - thats what made the excuse so laughable (imho)

• RMweb Gold

We had some issues with Lotty BUT, and its a big BUT, it was the whole layout that was affected not just one line, and the scenic section only - thats what made the excuse so laughable (imho)

thanks to anon for the info - it seems the Mostyn person responsible for this theory has answered me (incorrectly as he obviously hasn't read my answer fully) on a forum where I am not a member :rolleyes: - blimey I could rewrite the whole laws of physics if I only post in an area where no-one can answer me back.

Sorry for the wanderings.

I was just making an observation. Yes you need advertising to pay the bills of course but my impression was that there were more than usual and its tended to drown out the editorial content, the Class 50 article was almost lost amidst the adverts.

It's not the transmitter, its the vast metal structure of the roof, which I was told (by someone who should know what he's talking about) can act like a vast annena - the place is not good for electromagnetic interference and I know of one case where a DCC layout which had led a very quiet and sheltered existance at home suddenly found a hasty modification to the system bus was needed. I've also heard comment from another respected DCC layout about some of its more advanced DCC bits not being 100% reliable in there. It does seem like its an environment where any weakness or vulnerability to signal interference in DCC wiring will be exposed

- it seems the Mostyn person responsible for this theory has answered me (incorrectly as he obviously hasn't read my answer fully) on a forum where I am not a member :rolleyes: - blimey I could rewrite the whole laws of physics if I only post in an area where no-one can answer me back.

Perhaps the page increase that Tappa mentions is so these theories can be expanded on in much more depthsecret_mini.gif

It's not the transmitter, its the vast metal structure of the roof, which I was told (by someone who should know what he's talking about) can act like a vast annena - the place is not good for electromagnetic interference and I know of one case where a DCC layout which had led a very quiet and sheltered existance at home suddenly found a hasty modification to the system bus was needed. I've also heard comment from another respected DCC layout about some of its more advanced DCC bits not being 100% reliable in there. It does seem like its an environment where any weakness or vulnerability to signal interference in DCC wiring will be exposed

Isn't that (amongst other things) what 'CE' marking is all about ? See Q10 here:-

http://www.rsgb.org/...tneighbours.pdf

Products so marked must be capable of operating under quite arduous EMI conditions, but as enforcement is limited in scope anyone can 'CE' mark and risk not being investigated- a bit of a toothless dog in this area ?

I'm sure this will generate the reply that the wiring is up to the individual and is not governed by EMC standards - how long before venues and exhibition managers require whole layouts to be 'CE' marked in the cause of 'Elf and Safety' {sic}

I'm sure this will generate the reply that the wiring is up to the individual and is not governed by EMC standards - how long before venues and exhibition managers require whole layouts to be 'CE' marked in the cause of 'Elf and Safety' {sic}

Your train not working properly or running away is an annoyance, but it's hardly a health and safety risk. wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Are you saying I should become a twisted pair :lol: - that's what we concluded (metal roof = antenna) after we saw strange things (I was at the show when "Pete" (if thats who you mean) was having the problems and he solved them by twisting the bus)

If the %^&%^&, sorry "fellow respected modeller", reads my reply, I did state we saw problems with our layout so I know there are weird and wonderful goings on in the Twilight Zone but I also believe that some will use any excuse for poor running rather than just admitting "we weren't fully prepared and we apologise if this spoilt anyones fun" - next it will be stone dust :lol:

I'm now off to research the North Eastern Electricity Board and their use of VHS transmitters :rolleyes: ;)

End of discussion on this from me - this is a magazine thread, I think we did do this in DCC a while ago but it died a death (maybe the transmitter was switched off ? ) :blink: :lol:

Archived