Western Region DMUs

Guest Austerity94

Alex's original query commented on detailing etc. Surprisingly no one has mentioned buffers and marker lights yet (and of course tail lamps being carried), as these details are prominent.

The 121 pictures on this thread show oval buffers, and some of the 117's had buffers squared off top and bottom with round ends, and no marker lights. I have some photographs showing these in the late 70's and early 80's. At least some of the 117's in white with the blue stripe ran in this condition, and the last link below shows a 117 in blue/grey with the squared off buffers in 1982.

See http://www.railcar.c...19/117/sd03.jpg ; http://www.railcar.c...117/L418600.jpg ; http://www.railcar.c...117/L403600.jpg

An interesting thread.

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Don't know if this helps Marsh Jct 1971 -

attachicon.gif1971 9-10 W55034 Marsh Jct.jpg

Crossfell5

In the early 60's I lived in Dinas Powis,and would dare to say that Green or Blue is to easy a question,is the train in this picture actually Blue,or is it Green.I lived within spitting distance of the old Taff Vale Railway,(Trespassers on the Railway faced a fine NOT Exceeding Forty Shillings) between Cogan and Cadoxton and would have to say that under the grime our DMU's were Green.And luckily they were made in an era when whichever seat you sat in you had a view out of a window,so different from today !

• 4 years later...

I am trying to track down the actual unit that worked a railtour to Bude on the last day of services. The date was 1st October 1966 and one driving car of the 3 car Class 120 was W51581. The tour started in Plymouth so was presumably allocated to Laira. Anyone got the relevant info? It would be gratefully received.

I am trying to track down the actual unit that worked a railtour to Bude on the last day of services. The date was 1st October 1966 and one driving car of the 3 car Class 120 was W51581. The tour started in Plymouth so was presumably allocated to Laira. Anyone got the relevant info? It would be gratefully received.

Hi, my records show this to be what eventually became class 120 set P560, formed as follows - 

51581 59587 51585

Hope that helps!

David

• 1 year later...

Ah well, the nearest I can find in model form is 117.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/branchline-class-117-3-car-dmu-br-green-speed-whiskers-35-500/

Looks like I'll have to wait a while?

The Class 117 is likely next year, the end of August Bachmann showed it at EP stage and you can see pictures in this thread if you are interested - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137096-Bachmann-2018-mid-year-update/

The Class 122 is available from Dapol, they have a 2nd run announced during the summer estimated to arrive by the end of this year.

For the 116 and 120, suggest you take part in the OO Wishlist Poll if you haven't already (link in the banner at the top of each page on RMweb at the moment).  An easy way to help let the manufacturers know what you are interested in.

For the 116 and 120, suggest you take part in the OO Wishlist Poll if you haven't already (link in the banner at the top of each page on RMweb at the moment).  An easy way to help let the manufacturers know what you are interested in.

:mail:  Done! Thanks  :-)

• RMweb Gold

The Class 117 is likely next year, the end of August Bachmann showed it at EP stage and you can see pictures in this thread if you are interested - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137096-Bachmann-2018-mid-year-update/

The Class 122 is available from Dapol, they have a 2nd run announced during the summer estimated to arrive by the end of this year.

Vote 120! You know it makes sense!  :locomotive:

Phil

• Like 5

Ah well, the nearest I can find in model form is 117.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/branchline-class-117-3-car-dmu-br-green-speed-whiskers-35-500/

Looks like I'll have to wait a while?

The 118 is near enough a 117 built by a different builder. You could take a 117 and add a slightly more curved top to the headcode box to make a 118. See www.railcar.co.uk for images.

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

For the sea wall, the later version of 120 with 4-character headcode panels, which were concentrated in the West Country and were rarer visitors upline or in South Wales and the Midlands, is arguably more likely than the earlier, 3 marker lights in a row, type.  

I do not need one for my layout, but am of the opinion that a Swindon 3 car Cross Country dmu is the biggest gap in RTR provision to date.   Too distinctive to be converted from other types, and kit availability is questionable; a sure fire seller IMHO.  Whether it could make a profit for anyone producing it is another matter, but plenty of people will want to buy it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd like a cross-country set, always thought the non headcode 120s looked distinctive but the headcode box was rather ugly. Then I found an image of a Gloucester 119 set at Eggesford so either would do for me!

Perhaps the 'Derby' cab on the 119s makes it 'less different' to the 117s and the Swindon 120 more likely?

Edited by Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Gold

For the sea wall, the later version of 120 with 4-character headcode panels, which were concentrated in the West Country and were rarer visitors upline or in South Wales and the Midlands, is arguably more likely than the earlier, 3 marker lights in a row, type.  

I do not need one for my layout, but am of the opinion that a Swindon 3 car Cross Country dmu is the biggest gap in RTR provision to date.   Too distinctive to be converted from other types, and kit availability is questionable; a sure fire seller IMHO.  Whether it could make a profit for anyone producing it is another matter, but plenty of people will want to buy it!

Yes we used to get excited if one of the 4 character headcode batch turned up at Worcester.More common as time went on - did they migrate north to Bristol?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Yes we used to get excited if one of the 4 character headcode batch turned up at Worcester.More common as time went on - did they migrate north to Bristol?

Phil

When I used to do my spotting in the mid 70’s at Worle Junction, the start of the Weston-super-Mare loop from Bristol, both types appeared but the three marker light version was more common than the headcode variety. From what I recall, wasn’t there just ten sets sporting the headcode box?

• RMweb Gold

I'd like a cross-country set, always thought the non headcode 120s looked distinctive but the headcode box was rather ugly. Then I found an image of a Gloucester 119 set at Eggesford so either would do for me!

Perhaps the 'Derby' cab on the 119s makes it 'less different' to the 117s and the Swindon 120 more likely?

The 119 is the Gloucester RCW version of the same specification as the 120, and AFAIK has the same underframes, motors, seating, but there is more difference than just the cabs; the body profile is slightly different and the windows marginally larger on the Gloucester set.  This means that a conversion of one to t'other by changing the cabs is not quite a flyer, which is a pity, although it would be very difficult to tell the difference if the two types did not appear together on the layout.  Interior fittings were identical except for the curtains.

The headcode panel version of 120s were concentrated on Laira IIRC, and worked mostly between Penzance and Taunton, but ventured further upline occasionally; I've seen them at Cardiff.  They sort of dropped off the radar in the late 70s as far as my awareness of them was concerned, when the 120 diaspora to the East Midlands and Scotland took place; I don't know what became of them but I'm sure someone here will educate me!  The headcode panel sets were the last produced and to the best of my knowledge carried no earlier livery than the dark green with yellow lining and small yellow warning panels, with white roof dome ends over the cabs.

• Informative/Useful 1

When I used to do my spotting in the mid 70’s at Worle Junction, the start of the Weston-super-Mare loop from Bristol, both types appeared but the three marker light version was more common than the headcode variety. From what I recall, wasn’t there just ten sets sporting the headcode box?

Jools, there were nine of each type of power car with the headcode box, but ten trailers. The Western Region had a habit of ordering mismatched quantities of power cars vs trailers. 

Of note, the ten trailers of this final batch were seated throughout, so no Buffet area.

Also, the headcode version only had one marker lamp, (not two as stated in the infamous book by Brian Morrison).

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/5936

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jools, there were nine of each type of power car with the headcode box, but ten trailers. The Western Region had a habit of ordering mismatched quantities of power cars vs trailers. 

Of note, the ten trailers of this final batch were seated throughout, so no Buffet area.

Also, the headcode version only had one marker lamp, (not two as stated in the infamous book by Brian Morrison).

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/5936

I'd never noticed that before!

..................... the later version of 120 with 4-character headcode panels, which were concentrated in the West Country and were rarer visitors upline or in South Wales and the Midlands, .................

At the start of the 1969-1970 WTT, the later series of Cl.120, Swindon Cross Country sets were allocated as follows

Laira - 6 sets

Marsh Junction - 8 sets

Canton also had two, power twins on its' books made up of

(i)  Set 603 - W51574 + W51583

(ii) Set 604 - W51579 + W51588

Judging by the Set number series, i.e. C6xx, and formed as power-twins, they were used on lines west of Swansea, in particular the Central Wales.

Brian R

The 118 is near enough a 117 built by a different builder. You could take a 117 and add a slightly more curved top to the headcode box to make a 118. See www.railcar.co.uk for images.

Eddie, just to confuse the issue slightly, didn’t a few of the earlier or later build 117’s have curved top headcode boxes ?

Best regards

Craig