Old Leighton Spa (Mk1)

Dmouseair

The Old Mk1 Leighton Spa Has moved across the void - just here for easy reference purposes.

Leighton Spa - OO Modern Image Layout

by Dmouseair

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum, so please play nicely!

I am submitting my current track plan which is in fact currently operational in my loft.

My wesite is: http://dmouseair.webs.com/index.htm

Please have a nose through and see what you think!

I am after suggestions for improvements, as I am not happy with the layout for various reasons:

1. Need more storage. 2. Need (bigger) mashalling yards/fiddle yard 3. Not sure about the station complex x2 4. Need to go multi level for using space and maximising operarability. 5. The layout is not proto-typical and should it be?

What do you think - do I rip it up and start again, or is any of it worth keeping?

Comment posted by Mod2 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:30 pm

David, welcome to the forum. We do find however that requests like this are more likely to gain responses if you actually post some images in your thread - it shows a willingness to help those who you're expecting to help you, and many members are for various reasons reluctant to follow unknown links.

Cheers and good luck.

??? posted on Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi,

I am struggling to upload photos due to large file sizes. I assume I need something like Photobucket to host them?

I have tried to search albeit briefly FAQ's to find another way...lol

Good point well phrased icon_biggrin.gif

Comment posted by Birdseyecircus on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:09 pm

I use http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/ which is a freedown load to resize.

Whilst iam not up to speed on all things net wise it appears that if you host your pics with photo bucket images are not shown after a few hundred viewings.

Once you get the hang of uploading pics on here it is very easy. Remember to view Andys guide on uploading

Paul

Comment posted by Mod2 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:10 pm

Dmouseair wrote:

I have tried to search albeit briefly FAQ's to find another way...lol

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21614

Irfanview isn't obligatory, there are other resizing programmes but as Paul says, we don't normally recommend Photobucket for hosting these days.

Cheers.

??? posted on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:15 pm

file.php?id=87873

Ah ha..technology has no bounds

There are in fact some amendments to the Final Plan" as usual with these things:

1. There is an added two track bay platform station added where the black rectangle is at the bottom of the central well. Possibly one road for stabling the other for parking or perhaps both with the loop track being the platform.....who knows icon_confused.gif

2. Right at the top is an added storage road.

I found I needed to added the two track bay platform station to enable easier up/down running. It's almost an end to end layout within a loop....lol

The plan is the outer track on the left hand side is the up line, with the down main next to it.

Hope this all appears ok?

Comment posted by James90012 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:23 pm

You've got yourself large amounts of space there! Definately scope for development. I would suggest you have a prototype location -ish in mind (even if this is two, say Reading and Derby (just an example) just to have something to work towards. My only criticism with the plan i suppose is that it just needs 'tidying up' a bit so to speak, like the junction to the left of the uppermost station, it's a bit restricted in terms of operating movements. Another thing to perhaps consider is that track needent be everywhere!

I hope my comments aren't too bad, and obviously it's clear a lot of time, and effort has gone into this but before you move the layout further into ballasting i'd just have a look at the design as a whole, and consider areas to make inclines etc to reach that desirable second level.

It all depends of course on what you want to gain from the layout, the design that you have allows 3 trains to run constantly on DC, with more (if speeds are set similar on DCC) although I think if you're wanting to model scenary a redesign may be required. (Edit)

Comment posted by vc-10 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:29 pm

What's wrong with Photobucket? Never had a problem with it myself.

Re the idea of working towards a real location, then Reading would be a good choice! No EMUs to worry about, the only problems are in liveries for stock, and making 165 Turdos out of the Bachy 166.

??? posted on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi,

Thank-you all for your replies, it's great getting fresh ideas, and yes a bit of work has gone into this.

I would ideally (but not currently) like to model Leamington Spa area as I live close by. The stock is orientated towards that aim, but the track plan went off on a tangent trying to maximise the area that I have. Can you have to much track? icon_surprised.gif

I need a decent TMD or two for my diesels, or maybe some go back in the boxes - not ideal.

I would if I could like to get a freight/sidings/fiddle yard to house rakes of vans, trucks, coal hoppers & steel carriers - about ten truck in each.

Below is a fairly up to date list of stock apart from trucks and coaches, I will get round to listing them.

E.W.S Diesels

* 08630 - Hornby

* 08683 - Bachmann

* 33030 - Heljan

* 37042 - Hornby

* 37057 - Hornby

* 37410 - Bachmann

* 37114 - Bachmann

* 47744 - Heljan

* 58024 - Hornby

* 58037 - Hornby

* 56059 - Hornby

* 59201 - Hornby

* 60026 - Hornby

* 60034 - Hornby "Carnedd Llewelyn" (Repaint)

* 60044 - Hornby (Ex-Mainline blue with EWS logo) (Repaint)

* 66135 - Bachmann

* 66200 - Bachmann

* 67018 - Hornby

* 67029 - Lima "Diamond Star" (Repaint)

Freightliner Diesels

* 57003 - Bachmann "Freighliner Evolution"

* 57008 - Bachmann "Freighliner Explorer"

* 57011 - Bachmann "Freighliner Challenger"

Virgin Diesels

* 57301 - Bachmann "ScottTracey"

* 57306 - Bachmann "Jeff Tracy" (Ltd. Edition)

D.R.S Diesels

* 37038 - Bachmann (Ltd. Edition)

* 66407 - Bachmann

Central Trains D.M.U

* 153333 - Hornby

* 156 - Hornby

* 158797 - Hornby

* 170837 - Bachmann

Chiltern Trains D.M.U

* 121020 - Bachmann

* 168110 - Bachmann

Network South East D.M.U & E.M.U

* 166202 - Bachmann

* 466016 - Hornby

You can see I have a bit of stock to stable, let alone run.......Ebay i'm afraid.

Comment posted by 47707 Hollyrood on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:56 pm

What i'd give to have a layout that size... icon_drool.gif can't wait to see some pics.

Comment posted by 3chordboy on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:03 am

if you are worried about having too much track you could get some good depot/ storage siding action going on with this layout.

seems very busy... if only i had the space!! icon_mutter.gif

Comment posted by rob D2 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:09 pm

Nice plan,

It has lots of operating potential, but I would be tempted to maybe trim some track out - I have filled up baseboards with track before and left too little scenic area to get some 'atmosphere'.Good luck !!

Comment posted by Melly on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:12 am

rob D2 wrote:

Nice plan,

It has lots of operating potential, but I would be tempted to maybe trim some track out - I have filled up baseboards with track before and left too little scenic area to get some 'atmosphere'.Good luck !!

I concur with rob. Your middle station has many tracks for one with a single entry exit point; more sort of train-set-ish than model railway. Also, the loops to the bottom to the other stn seem a little excessive. If they are removed you can add a gentle 's' curve on the other line.

The old adage is true - less is more. Like rob, on my previous layout I focused too much on the track and then struggled to fit the scenery around it.

Best of luck with the build.

Regards

Comment posted by James90012 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:05 pm

The most obvious thing I think to do would be to put points 1,2 and 4 together, I.e use the space underneath to store stock, If i were you, I'd concentrate on minimizing the track to being a double track mainline all round, going under (to fiddle yards leaving these roads clear) and reappearing on the opposite side to go around above the fiddle yards and join back up so it once again declines below into the fiddle yard.

Junctions can be included to allow trains to avoid going to the fiddle yard completely, keeping a pair of loops above the fiddle yard too. It's just a suggestion!

*Edit - An idea would be to have a station with terminating platforms (as you have) both on the same side of the track, these could link to in sight caravan sidings, suitable for storing all the DMUs and any coaching stock should you purchase.

??? posted on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Hi One and All,

I am begining to get a feeling there is a recurring point(forgive the pun)going on here...... icon_lol.gif

Ok, time to streamline the Peco Streamline then.

The single track to the middle station was a restriction caused by minimum radius and length, prior to maxmium station/siding length - but just does not look right and stock moves need to go into the inner loops to re-position.

The top three roads where initialy going to be freight roads, but are not quite long enough for anything more than about eight trucks depending on type.

The lower are stabling/station but again the length is not great.

The inner loops are there to allow a shunter to attack the freight stock on the storage and station loop from both ends then to move it to the upper freight sidings, or that was the plan hence the short shunter stabling road on the right hand side inner loop.

I think plan Z will be back to as suggested two track main, with yard, and TMD's, with a storage/fiddle yard hidden somewhere. My carpentry is going to need improving I feel for the multi-level.

What gradient (3% max I assume) is best for a ten truck coal train to negoiate, any suggestions? I may not have long enough in between curves to get the height.

What should the recommended minimum clearance be under the upper level, about 5"?

Keep those ideas coming, and if anyone has the time a trackplan showing something like Leamington plus the above items would be great........

Just being cheeky now - worth a go.

I will go back to the drawing board myself

Cheers all,

Comment posted by Markmiller2008 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:51 am

Being a Leamington Man myself , well i work at the station , i think this is a great idea for a layout but you would have to do alot of stratchbuilding for the station buildings.

i can draw up a basic plan of leamington if you want me to but remember if you where to model the station in the late 80's (with a bit of modellers license allowing you to use present day stock) you would have the fields sidings wedged in between the Cov branch and the mainline which i have videos of being used very regulary for ballasts, normal pratice was a loco would pull the train out into the up through and shunt out towards the south end of the station to run around, you would also have the old goods sidings which have now been replaced by a large overflow car park.

Anyway give me a shout if you want some help with anything or a track plan of how the station used to be

Mark

??? posted on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi,

I think scratch building the station itself would be a station to far for my rusty abilities, would'nt even know where to start icon_lol.gif

The track plan however is a different matter, I wonder if I could make it fit, and squeeze in the yards as well....tricky. Some builders licence required.

The layout of my boards are: 12'x4' on the top section(Northside), East and West sides are 5'x2' with a little plug of about a foot on the top of each side. The Southern side obviusly matches the top at 12'x2', and the extension down the West side is 6'x2', with a another board butted up being 4'x2', this can be moved as it is only there to allow the mainline to loop around, which to be honest at about 18" radius on the inner track (in places)is causing the long freights to slow and struggle especially from a start.

The other question where to put a TMD/engine storage yard, and do I get in a raised level somehow? icon_wow.gif

Questions questions questions

??? posted on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Well,

I have pulled up all the inner loops, sidings, bay platforms etc.......and you get a lot more space I've discovered!

Now, how to get Leamington Spa track plan in.......... icon_confused.gif

Comment posted by 47707 Hollyrood on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:42 pm

I don't really think that this could help but it might in one way or another. Pulled this off the net after a very quick search: http://www.warwickdc.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0E6EDC3A-D95F-4E11-A9D5-1AEA9C2D79F2/0/FPlan03AccessandMovementPlan.pdf

??? posted on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:19 pm

Thank-you very much for the plan, it certainly explains a few things to me.

I had done a few Google searches, and found some details on Wiki, but this plan gives me a much better overview.

I did not think of going to the council... icon_rolleyes.gif Now I know why I pay my tax!

The problem I will face is the dimensions of my boards, lots of room just not in the right places. icon_cry.gif

Back to the drawing board.

??? posted on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:52 am

Help help help.......

This is doing my head in icon_frustrated.gif

I think the latest idea is to have a TMD similar to Park Road down the left hand side board, somehow linking into a double track main line with a decent station similar to Leamington Spa on either the top board or elsewhere.

I need to also fit in a marshalling yard or fiddle yard of reasonable proportions to take a ten truck rake of HTA/VGA's etc.

The current swan neck main line loop is going to have to go i think.

Could I appeal for suggestions or even a cunning plan icon_redface.gif

Comment posted by James90012 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:53 am

Unfortunately I don't have/use any of the track programs, so i hope my written suggestions and MS Word quick sketch are understandable.

The dashed lines are descents (into a tunnel) or increasing gradients (to leave a tunnel)

I noticed you have plenty DMUs so I've suggested some sort of coach/DMU sidings.

Its a really crude diagram but images speak a 1000 words:

Quick Track Plan.doc

(16.5 KiB)

??? posted on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Ah, a cunning plan indeed, I like your thinking. icon_thumbsup2.gif

The question is, if I use Park Road TMD's track plan for the left hand side board this will take up 8' of the 16.5' available. I will have to do a mirror image to allow enough space to get four tracks around the corner, and even then radi maybe an issue - but it may well fit. icon_smile.gif

I wonder if a yard will fit , and if so any suggestions as to where, it needs to be 8.5' at least to take a full rake plus loco, and that's tight. Maybe above the top station if I can get the curves all in. It could go non scenic after the tunnel I suppose?

Top job and appreciated.

Comment posted by James90012 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:42 pm

I referred to the Yard being under the station, where the tunnel mouths lead to, sorry if i didn't make it clear enough. The bottom two lines out of the bottom station could still form the 'swan neck' around the TMD, with some backscenes covering up the return line as it heads towards the tunnel mouth, giving the impression that it isn't almost a reverse loop.

Edit: It may be easier (actually it would) to raise the station and DMU sidings and have the fiddle yard underneath, getting to it with a gradiant going up instead of going down into a tunnel?

??? posted on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:35 pm

Yep, I understand now, that would work well.

I just need to master my carpentry to raise the level, something that was in he back of my mind anyway - changing level that is! I agree it is easier to go up!

I shall have a play with XtrakCad and see what I can come up with, but not sure at the moment how to change levels with that software and show a seperate higher board.

Page 2 from across the void for reference purposes only

Leighton Spa - OO Modern Image Layout

by Dmouseair

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:09 pm

Ok, here is the next but not final installment of the Leighton Spa saga.

I have had to abandon a few of my ideas due to lack of space, i.e. Leamington Spa trackplan etc.

This is currently layer one with hidden storage yards at the top. I will try and work out with Xtrak how to do multi layers.

You have to love a busy TMD! This is based on Park Road Lane TMD, plus a bit on the side - not sure about that yet.

file.php?id=97005

Comment posted by James90012 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi again, hope you don't mind my interference again.

The only real issue i can see now, is with the double track line reducing to single before doubling up again, creating a difficult to operate bottleneck, so i would ensure that you have the two tracks from the highest station joining the lines to the right seperately so you can have trains running constantly around those two loops without interference.

The other more minor point, is that a loco leaving the TMD cannot head clockwise around the layout without reversal twice, it may be of interest to add a junction on the left hand 4 track line heading the opposite way.

Regards, James90012

??? posted on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:03 pm

file.php?id=104566

Here is the latest installment in the grand plan. icon_wow.gif

My dilema for the past few months is the best way to incorporate the inclines. The two bottom tracks coming off the storage sidings are on a 3% incline clockwise, but I think building the bridge is going to be to awkward to get over the TMD throat - what do you think?

The biggest problem is where to start and finish the descent back into the base level, which has been causing the biggest headache, without clearance issues, or insufficient space to fit points etc.

The other plan is to raise the track and fit it around the edge of the loft behind the boiler, and again find somewhere to descend the track with a reasonable gradient. This will cause problems for the engine sheds at the bottom end of the TMD though.

What is not shown on the plan but can be seen from photo's on the website is the roof struts that come down in four places either side of the loft.

I take it 1:30 (3%) is the minimum gradient, and raising the level to 5" for clearance is correct? I intend pulling up to ten coach/truck rakes.

Tricky stuff this you know! icon_frustrated.gif

I look forward to your comments.

??? posted on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:09 pm

Ah ha,

I have seen the error of my ways and have provided a better junction to allow the storage yards to be used as part of a loop in addition to the inner station loop. Hopefully, this will now flow better - I have heeded advice! icon_eek.gif

I tested today my Cl37 DRS with 10 HTA's on an incline up to 5" in 8' at various speeds and was surprised at the result. There was just the start of wheel spin when travelling at 1/4 speed from a standing start, not bad - however I will be shallower in practice.

Still puzzling over what to do with the two left over tracks which will form the loop to the upper level, oh hum. icon_idea.gif

file.php?id=105066

file.php?id=105086

Archived