• 2 weeks later...

I recently got another Ford Thames, with a view to replacing the original one I built nine or ten years ago, and building the new one as a tipper (but otherwise the same). It's nearly complete, but heres some info on the automatic tailgate latches

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Ruston said:

What's the difference between cobbles and setts? Which does the tool that I have do, please?

I think cobbles are rounded beach or river sourced. Sets are cut rectangular blocks.??

The ones in the picture are technically setts?

• Agree 1

First of all, the clay, Das or whatever is rolled down onto PVA glue to make sure it sticks, and then talcum powder is shaken on to it, and rubbed in with a finger, to give a 'dry' surface - this preventing the tool from sticking.....

You may find that a couple of very lightly scored marking lines might help to keep your rows straight to reference when embossing.

Once the clay has properly dried out, I spray it with Halfords matt black aerosol, making sure no white is left showing. Once this has also dried, I then dry-brush dark grey, then mid/light grey, and finally a teeny quantity of white or off-white. ..... to taste.  It would be worth adding a bit of brown or engineering brick blue into the mix as well......... 

This is all finished off by pouring on very fine dust/powder, beit ash, soil, grouting mix, etc.... which you brush every which way so it works into all the joints. The excess is brushed off, and then I stick it down with very diluted PVA and washing-up liquid. When this is almost dry, you might like to dust on a little more powder, wiping it off the stone straight away,

The term  'cobbles' is to an rather interchangable with setts. Cobbles were originally rounded water-worn stones, but later granite cobbles or setts were cut and laid in regular patterns and became the norm. Many cities had wooden cobbles, which my mother recalled were horribly slippery on her bicycle in Birmingham! Regent street was relaid with timber cobbles in 1930 or so........  A sett is very different from a cobblestone, but we've had both on our cobbled streets!

Edited by Giles
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Ruston said:

What's the difference between cobbles and setts? Which does the tool that I have do, please?

I true terms, setts.... yours are a fraction squarer than shown, but equally valid.

Edited by Giles
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

And now......... a Forklift in1:43.

I know that these have been done in 1:76 and 1:87, but I want one in 1:43. Moreover, I want one to experiment with.

This one is a resin model from Russia, and quite nice, but of course it needed a replacement mast etc.....

It still needs finishing off, but the has but is done.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 15
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Giles said:

Absolutely.... I'll sort that when I've finished taking the top off! Shame I haven't got any teeny knurls.

The winder from an old broken wristwatch might work as a representation of a radiator cap, if you can find a small enough one. They've usually got knurls in them.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/09/2020 at 18:22, Giles said:

Finished, bar a slightly larger battery, driver, and more practice!

There's a fair bit of skill involved in operating a forklift, isn't there??!! ;)

R/C trucks & vans are all very well - this model has finally confirmed to me that the hobby is leaving me waaay behind. :no:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

There's a fair bit of skill involved in operating a forklift, isn't there??!! ;)

R/C trucks & vans are all very well - this model has finally confirmed to me that the hobby is leaving me waaay behind. :no:

Used to drive the real things mate, I loved it, rewarding with tricky lifts/jobs.

I'm dabbling in RC again, but time and patience elude me, so I'm happy marvelling at others' work.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2

On 05/09/2020 at 18:38, Giles said:

And now......... a Forklift in1:43.

I know that these have been done in 1:76 and 1:87, but I want one in 1:43. Moreover, I want one to experiment with.

This one is a resin model from Russia, and quite nice, but of course it needed a replacement mast etc.....

It still needs finishing off, but the has but is done.

Well done Giles, superb in fact! Pushing the boundaries of RC and railway modelling. What a joy to behold!

• Agree 3