I've made a start on the chassis from 0.036" NS, silver soldered, which goes together nicely. The outside frames are the working frames, which I find is as simple as any other way, and less work than some.

2021-04-16_05-04-03

2021-04-16_05-03-30

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 13/04/2021 at 17:57, Giles said:

Next up is Manning Wardle "Jubilee 1987" From the North Wales quarries. An Aganoria kit, which will have one of my own RC chassis underneath it.

It's not been an easy build, but worth it. 

Half way through it took a dive to the floor- after the tank was filled with lead!

2021-04-03_11-57-22

That surprisingly only took about 40 minutes to repair, once I had calmed down.....

Final details such as spectacles, chains etc added, together with some weathering.  Ready for the chassis now.

It does look big next to Gwynedd, which isn't the smallest Hunslet!

2021-04-13_05-05-41

This is the last remaining damage from the Great Fall. I had considered making a new back-sheet, which would have been no great thing, but actually I rather liked this bruised and battered panel. It's perhaps not something I would be brave enough to do intentionally, but it being there, I want to keep it. The spectacles are CNCd from 1mm perspex, with a 0.4mm rim on the inside.

2021-04-13_05-07-19

She's got a very Victorian look to her.

2021-04-13_05-09-56

2021-04-13_05-08-18

A happy accident Giles, out of adversity and all that - charming model. It's hard to model ripples Eg on ships hulls, diesels' flanks etc, Ive done so with 16T minerals, but left well alone on locos. Ironically you've captured the look perfectly - good call to leave it in btw!

ATVB,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Agree 2

On its wheels at last..... the wheels and axles have been blackened before fitting the bearings and cranks so that I don't have to rinse them off again and deal with rust. The cranks are all quartered by eye and fitted with loctite, the last one being done as a separate operation, and the chassis rolled back and forth before it set to help it settle in the correct position.

The chassis runs very freely at the moment, but there's much more to add!

2021-04-26_07-13-01 2021-04-26_07-12-38

2021-04-26_07-12-06

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 2 weeks later...

Almost there - I'm just in the process of fitting the motor and radio gear. The rods have been dirtied down since these photos as well...

Manning Wardle 1

20210509_170006

I had fun making wash-out plugs and blow-down valves over the weekend!

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

Finally got round to fitting the receiver. It runs very well, with very nice control. It has a 1000mAh battery in the boiler and tank,  so it will run for well over a day of exhibition.  The motor is one of my last K20's, and looks extremely small under there.

Please forgive the absolutely dreadful bit of video- it's only intended to prove it runs!

• Like 16

• 6 months later...

Radio Control for Model Railways.

I'm pleased to say that the book I've been writing has kindly been published by Wild Swan. It's more of my workshop diary than anything I suppose, and many of the models will be familiar to people here, although not necessarily the detail, and certainly not in one place. The book is more focussed towards the conversion of vehicles,  cranes and such to work on model railways,  rather than converting stock locomotives - but does include a section on locomotives, and my own scratch-built RC locos.

https://wildswanbooks.co.uk/Books/Radio-Control.htm

It will be of interest to some, though certainly not all, and of course is a constantly developing area.....

2021-12-05_12-08-54

Edited by Giles
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Giles said:

Radio Control for Model Railways.

I'm pleased to say that the book I've been writing has finally been published by Wild Swan. It's more of my workshop diary than anything I suppose, and many of the models will be familiar to people here, although not necessarily the detail, and certainly not in one place. The book is more focussed towards the conversion of vehicles,  cranes and such to work on model railways,  rather than converting stock locomotives - but does include a section on locomotives, and my own scratch-built RC locos.

https://wildswanbooks.co.uk/Books/Radio-Control.htm

It will be of interest to some, though certainly not all, and of course is a constantly developing area.....

Congratulations Giles, interesting topic ripe for a book.

How do such things come about - if you don't mind me asking? Is it a case of, "I've got an idea for a book" or that you were approached? Sounds like lots of hard work?

I haven't purchased a WS book for awhile - I'm very tempted now though.

Good luck with it all, a well deserved achievement.

Kindest regards,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Congratulations Giles, interesting topic ripe for a book.

How do such things come about - if you don't mind me asking? Is it a case of, "I've got an idea for a book" or that you were approached? Sounds like lots of hard work?

I haven't purchased a WS book for awhile - I'm very tempted now though.

Good luck with it all, a well deserved achievement.

Kindest regards,

CME.

Thank you Martin!

In this instance it was something I rather wanted to do, as I thought it might be useful, and I thought that Wild Swan were exactly the right people - so I approached them with the idea - which Simon kindly thought might be a good one.

It has been a lot of work, but after writing it,  an amazing amount has been done by others, editing, designing and publishing..... it feels like writing it is the smallest part!

Really grateful thanks to Simon and Steve in particular for their work,

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2021 at 18:49, Giles said:

Thank you Martin!

In this instance it was something I rather wanted to do, as I thought it might be useful, and I thought that Wild Swan were exactly the right people - so I approached them with the idea - which Simon kindly thought might be a good one.

It has been a lot of work, but after writing it,  an amazing amount has been done by others, editing, designing and publishing..... it feels like writing it is the smallest part!

Really grateful thanks to Simon and Steve in particular for their work,

I'm glad that you did Giles, it's a bigger job of work - for you all - than most would comprehend (as I suspected). More strength to your elbow though!

Kindest regards and the season's greetings,

Martin.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You did indeed - looking extremely bedraggled if I recall ( rushing from pillar to post). There was also a series of DVDs now to be found on YouTube called Miniature Pleasures which might amuse.....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, Giles said:

You did indeed - looking extremely bedraggled if I recall ( rushing from pillar to post). There was also a series of DVDs now to be found on YouTube called Miniature Pleasures which might amuse.....

Ha ha! Yes those sorts of events can be quite manic, but fun:)

I spied you keeping an eye on Mark Found's driving too, but didn't see you creditted (criminal! :scratchhead::D).

The DVD is really interesting - lovely line you have there too.

I noted that they interviewed Bob Symes too, dad met him a couple of times at - iirc - Ashton Keynes? Sadly I never got to met my childhood hero.

I'll have a look at the You Tube submissions too.

ATVB

M.

• Like 1