• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Next up is a Mechical Horse. Not the Scarab, but the earlier 3 Ton predecessor. I picked up a kit from Ebay a couple of years ago, made by SuperScale, just on the off-chance I could do somethinng with it, and I'm having a bash...... I haven't solved all the issues yet.....

• Like 2

46355956451_f52fef73c1_k.jpg

2018-12-17_05-05-02 by giles favell, on Flickr

Because the Mechanical horse is renowned (indeed designed!) for its manoevrability, the trailer has to be capable of spinning on its own axis. This means the trailer wheels need to be capable of turning in opposite directions - unlike all my previous vehicles, which have fixed axles. This I have done by splitting the axle, and sleeving it, which seems to work well. I also fitted simple tube bearings to the trailer, rather than rely on the small amount of white metal.

The battery will go in the cut out, and a false floor laid over the top.

• Like 9

I'm using a smaller motor than usual on this one. It's only 6mm x 8mm in section, but still has lots of guts. Output is approx 90rpm at 3.7v. Gears are printed ones off Ebay. They are smaller than the ones I normally use (which is why I'm using them!). They are a little fussier to mesh, but made of an extremely hard plastic, and the smaller size is certainly beneficial. We'll see how they go.....

45646953264_b4d541422b_k.jpg2018-12-18_04-52-34 by giles favell, on Flickr

EDITED to correct motor size..... They're smaller!

Edited by Giles
  • Like 8

Just got the thing running under radio control...... nice (quite low) top speed - just what I was hoping/planning for, but LOVELY slow speed control! Much better than the larger motors I've used so far.

Just about to buy a stock of these from Ebay..... 

• Like 2

Well, electrics on the tractor are wired up, though not fixed, servo is in, font wheel fitted with its steering arm, and linked up, and it all works extremely well (apart from the servo operating 'backwards'). As I've said, the gearmotor performs even better than the larger ones I've used previously, with incredible slow speed control (I've just ordered another 4 from Ebay for stock....)

The turning circle is lovely and tight, though slightly tighter in one direction than 'tother. It will all do very nicely.

Got to finish it now though, which will take time, and I've bought a programmable transmitter which will allow me to reverse the servo control (arriving after Christmas)

• Like 10

If I recall correctly, Narrow Gauge & Industrial Modelling Review carried an article in which a 2’ gauge wagon was pushed along by a chap in a coolie hat. The legs did the pushing by means of springs and cams. It was most convincing, as the feet sometimes slipped.

Even with the advent of lipo batteries & Deltang receivers, I think the working 0 gauge shuntin’ ‘orse is a while away yet...

Season’s Greetings

Simon

If I may interject Simon, my guess is that some sort of holographic tech will end up being cheap enough to have little folk walking around our layouts. Nano tech will also enable material bodied figures to move to a degree.

I dare say, as its already happening to an extent, that Giles' industry will be the first to use such in 1:1 scale....

• Like 2

I Asked Di - 'Red or green?' And she said 'green' so it will certainly be private owner, but I've not quite made up my mind whether it will be DENTON or someone else.....

I should have hated to do it in 4mm!!!

• Like 2

Nice surprise today, The new transmitter arrived much earlier than expected! It took a while to work out how to bind the receiver to it, as there are no instructions for this particular pairing, but I worked it out eventually.

The servo is now nicely reversed and the steering is correct! I've located the receiver and packed the wiring away as best I can in the fo'c'sle, to leave the view clear.... (and I've checked it all still works...)

32548370548_d1115bd00f_z.jpg

2018-12-22_04-09-48 by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 7