Hi John - Happy Christmas!

I'll try and dig out where I got it from later, but I use a nice 4-way charger, that charges 4 batteries simultaniously, all independently variable up to 1000mAh. I wired in mini-jack cables to every channel to suit my vehicles, but that was to suit my needs!

Meanwhile, my dear lady got me this for Christmas!!!!

31517290177_d8e9e166a3_k.jpg

2018-12-25_10-27-58 by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'll try and dig out where I got it from later, but I use a nice 4-way charger, that charges 4 batteries simultaniously, all independently variable up to 1000mAh. I wired in mini-jack cables to every channel to suit my vehicles, but that was to suit my needs!

I bet you're chuffed!

Me too! The 'Erebus' book that is, not the 16mm Hunslet! Looks a fascinating read (only looked at the photos so far ...).

And, Happy Christmas to everybody on here.

Stephen

• Like 1

I see you have crossed to the dark side! My one came with two smoke boxes and no firebox.

Interesting, someone on the 12 February 2015 said ‘It's all rather impressive - and rather tempting! However, we're not going down that road...!’. :)

Have a good one.

Martin

• Like 1

This appears to have one of each, conveniently....

.....I don't know what you're talking about......... surely not me........ anyway, it was a Christmas present.... it would be rude to refuse it.......    :no:

The very best to you and yours!

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2

The Mechanical Horse is now completed and finished, apart from a new false load bed that needs to be cut and painted to cover the battery in the trailer. The whole thing works very nicely... 

46492968302_73577cf424_k.jpg

1:43 radio controlled Mechanical Horse by giles favell, on Flickr

46544863071_aa8658bf6e_k.jpg

1:43 radio controlled Mechanical Horse by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I love reading these threads following the construction and decoration of these O gauge models, as they really are true works of art.

It does make me feel my OO gauge efforts are rather crude in comparison - but with the effect of pushing me on to do better, more realistic and more ambitious things. Thank you Giles, you are an inspiration :) 

• Like 1

Hi Giles.

What you think of this. if the servo is very small. it seems to me a nice solution.

mount the servo in a different way

I think it will work at 1:64. In our scale must be able to

Maybe you saw them. I'm going to order one. Is very small

https://www.sol-expert-group.de/1-87-modelbouw/Micro-servos:::48_73.html

Have a nice day

Edited by johnlostcreek
  • Like 2

<p>John, that is really interesting! - yes - it would be a very neat solution for a smaller vehicle, such as a car or a smaller van..... Very interesting!</p>

<p>That is the same size servo as I have used in all my later vehicles (actually a 1.7g version, byt the same size) including the Mechanical Horse. I buy tem for about 5GBP from Ebay, and they work well!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>All the best, and thank you!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Giles</p>

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I built up a Wrightlines Bagnall (in 0-14) with a completely scratch-built chassis a year ago, and fitted it for radio control using a Deltang Rx41. It was powered by an N20 gear motor (with high out-put speed - I think it was a 1:5 ratio gearbox) and a final drive through a 1:20 worm and gear. To my surprise, unlike every other N20 combinationI've used, it lacked power, which showed in the slow speed running (which wasn't really up to expecations.)

I put this partially down to the worm and gear, which are a little crude. I would have used a bevel gear set, butI couldn't fit them between the frames. However, I found some 0.3 Mod bevel gears (at £4 each!) which with some optimistic engineering could be made to work (their O.D. was 5.1mm and the axle O.D. was 1/8".....)

I adapted the gears using silver solder and my lathe, and finally fixed them using Loctite 601.

The new gearmotor is much smaller and is the same that is fitted to the Mechanical Horse The motor is 6 x 8 x 16 and is 5v. The gearbox (8mm dia) has an output speed of 120rpm at 5v.

The result is as much usable power, but much smoother and better slow speed. I'm very pleased with this combination, and will certainly use it again!

40064717003_66232a6c9e_b.jpg

2019-02-08_07-14-46 by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Nice work as usual Giles.
As well as being a huge Scammell enthusiast I also have an interest in vehicles designed by Laurie Bond (blame my dads collection) which leads to me wondering where you got the Berkeley T60 model from?

• Agree 1