Looking good!
I like the steering mechanism maybe add a little slack in the system so the axle rocks as it goes over bumps like in the first video for realistic movement?
I guess chain steering would have been a nightmare to package?

• Like 1

There is rock available in the axle,  so no problem.

I plan on putting chains on somehow.....!

I found a motor yesterday that would have allowed me to operate the chain steering drum - but too late! This works, and I'll quit whilst I'm ahead. If I ever do it again, I shall have a suitable motor in stock.  

• Like 3

Giles

this is really good!

where will the cell go?  Showman's engine, glue it up under the roof?

Paul Ashton has a challenge, he wants a 7mm scale shunting horse.  I said that he should ask you...

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Giles said:

There is rock available in the axle,  so no problem.

I plan on putting chains on somehow.....!

I found a motor yesterday that would have allowed me to operate the chain steering drum - but too late! This works, and I'll quit whilst I'm ahead. If I ever do it again, I shall have a suitable motor in stock.  

To clarify by rock I meant mimicking the slack of chains as the wheels hit obstacles not the pivoting beam.

Sounds good! So a road roller next? :) 

• Like 1

its a road tractor so it has a 3\4 canopy, and Ive got a battery to fit neatly under that....

A horse - all I can say is - nay.

slack in chains, yes - that will happen, as there is some mechanical slop in the steering linkage - then the wrong one will go tight as the axle turns.....

• Like 3

You may be at the forefront of a whole new modelling hobby here!!!

I have acquired a Bedford TK , think I will need to get it into Roadline livery first, then perhaps I will  try

Your vehicles are all excellent

Regards

• Like 2

Finally got the top end working, which has broken the back of it.... lots more to do of course, but thats all the mechanical problems working - uless something goes horribly wrong!!!!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 16

Fantastic Giles. I could watch that on loop for ages. 

I am in the planning stages for a portable engine. So it will be stationary but running. The biggest challenge to me is how to get the motion running. Especially the eccentrics in OO. How how you solved the problem? Have you used the mill? Or have you been able to find a kit which is well enough made? 

At least I wont need the reversing gear.

Thanks

• Like 1

i dont know if it applies to what Giles has done but what was on all traction engines is that both rear wheels are fixed to the axle by a pin on a crank  and it was common to remove a pin on one side to take tight curves. you can see a hole in the axle boss on the nearside wheel in the video, and the wheel is moving about abit by friction of the moving axle inside. of course just my own speculation

• Like 1

Yes, the real ones have pins, as you say.  

I suspect, despite the craftsmanship Giles regularly demonstrates, he hasn’t got an r/c scale man to pull and push them, yet..

:)

simon

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I've cheated....... the second wheel has a ball race in it, so it's a single wheel drive. If this is adequate in practice - fine - otherwise I shall fix it to two wheel drive. The drawback is that it will be reluctant to turn, as Sir Douglas rightly observes.

At some stage I may build a small diff - about 8mm dia x 12mm long, just to see how practical it is - but it won't go into this.....

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Aside from a little weathering, the traction engine is finished and working! (And it does....). Not perhaps the finest control, but to an extent that comes with the territory.

It was an exercise to see if it was reasonably viable,  and it is - although frankly a lathe is necessary for a couple of bits, and one needs gears - either making them one's self, or sourcing them.

I've got a 400mAh battery under the canopy, which will last a day, but one would be struggling to get anything bigger without it being visible.

48031328723_407018d6b6_b.jpg

1:43 radio controlled Traction Engine. 7mm scale by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

Ah, sorry - the video wasn't intended to prove endurance for a full day - we know that from the previous models working at exhibitions. The video was simply to show the traction engine operating under radio control, and yes, is therefore rather unspectacular.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1