• 1 month later...

I thought I might make a few informal videos to help things along, as a visual aid, for anyone that's interested. I hopefully have a book coming out in the not too distant future on such things as converting vehicles, and the like - but these videos may also be of interest if not taken too seriously.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Giles,

Did you source new Bedford transfers from somewhere for that TK tipper or just mask before repainting? Chatting to the lads on The Yard the other day about this since I've put off repainting mine but they haven't done theirs yet either.

Edit: Just realised that one's not been repainted (I'd forgotten they brought out a red and cream version after the pale blue) but do you know of transfers anyway?

Ian

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

I'm afraid I don't know of a source of transfers.... no..... It's a shame, it would certainly make repainting easier! The red and cream is the Meccano livery, and it makes a nice change! I have another, so I'll make the pair to it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Giles said:

I'm afraid I don't know of a source of transfers.... no..... It's a shame, it would certainly make repainting easier! The red and cream is the Meccano livery, and it makes a nice change! I have another, so I'll make the pair to it. 

I need to get transfers made up for another job I have going on and was contemplating getting the Bedford ones done as part of the other job.

Martin

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Greengiant said:

I need to get transfers made up for another job I have going on and was contemplating getting the Bedford ones done as part of the other job.

Martin

I would be interested in buying a set if you do get some, I have the red circus covered rigid TK and want to repaint the cab ideally.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Marvellous! In fairness most cars have little more than half a driver!

If I may slightly hijack, clearly you still get the odd one of these around now but how common would they have been in every day use by the late 50s?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Marvellous! In fairness most cars have little more than half a driver!

If I may slightly hijack, clearly you still get the odd one of these around now but how common would they have been in every day use by the late 50s?

Quite common up until about 1960 as were Morris 8's and Ford Y's. The big cull of such cars came from the introduction of the MoT in 1959. That also resulted in vast numbers of old cars being abandoned on waste ground or even at the kerb.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've wrecked my back, and so I can't do much and I'm on some quite effective painkillers that put me to sleep nicely, so merely an update on the convertion of a nice little model (whilst im sitting down....)

Converted very easily to right hand drive, the rear axle is sorted with its bevel gear, and the front axle is also complete and fitted. Servo next when I can.

49164038988_23b29f30d6_b.jpg

2019-12-03_06-12-45 by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Giles said:

I've wrecked my back, and so I can't do much and I'm on some quite effective painkillers that put me to sleep nicely, so merely an update on the convertion of a nice little model (whilst im sitting down....)

Converted very easily to right hand drive, the rear axle is sorted with its bevel gear, and the front axle is also complete and fitted. Servo next when I can.

49164038988_23b29f30d6_b.jpg

2019-12-03_06-12-45 by giles favell, on Flickr

What is the source of the vehicle please?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Giles said:

The usual EBay!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1%3A43+sava+bmc&_sacat=0

A worldwide search is recommended to dig these out. The conversion to Right hand drive is very easy - and indeed this whole mod is relatively straightforward. 

Thanks, but in some cases the postage is more than the model. I scrolled down and there is a very nice looking Austin J4 van at just a smigen under £25 including postage.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Looks as if they're from a partwork. I'm visiting a big swapmeet this Saturday (Brentwood) and I'll keep an eye out for one, and the J4 van.

I think the BMC is quite recent so unlikely to be available any cheaper at the moment but you never know. I picked up a J4 on eBay a while back for much less than £25 - not sure why they have shot up. Edit: still available on eBay for £16.50.

Often pays to buy a couple as postage is usually still the same and you can then always sell one on, especially when they dont show up on uk only listings!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

I was sorely tempted by an FG but went for an IXO Bedford TK in the end, I still couldn't get one for less than £21 plus £10 postage but the way I saw it is it is 4 times bigger than an EFE 4mm version so on that basis only cost me the equivalent of £7 on a like for like basis which when you look at it that way is not so bad...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An irritation of this model is the poor representation of the side indicators - which should be the long thin vertical type so prevalent at the time.  I had wondered if if might be possible to make some, so I ordered some amber perspex - 3mm being the thinnest I could get - and set to drawing some up, and setting the Stepcraft up to do the job.  The top one is as it came off the machine, which was great, but i thought could be better - so I 'flame-polished' it, quickly with a small butane torch, giving me the lower version.

49234287021_8a1f716833_4k.jpg

IMG_1691 by giles favell, on Flickr

49234515422_e0163ae5b8_4k.jpg

IMG_1695 by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8