25 minutes ago, NRS91 said:

Nice work as usual Giles.
As well as being a huge Scammell enthusiast I also have an interest in vehicles designed by Laurie Bond (blame my dads collection) which leads to me wondering where you got the Berkeley T60 model from?

Ah..... you can find the Berkeley's on an Ebay (international) search. Theyre not cheap, but they are very nice. I got one as I had three - although only one ever got on the road.... I ran it for a while both in the Valleys and in London when I was a student. Great fun.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Giles said:

Ah..... you can find the Berkeley's on an Ebay (international) search. Theyre not cheap, but they are very nice. I got one as I had three - although only one ever got on the road.... I ran it for a while both in the Valleys and in London when I was a student. Great fun.....

Yes they are brilliant fun! It used to be my job to lift the back end around to get it square to the kerb when dad parked! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Giles said:

3 hours ago, NRS91 said:

Yes they are brilliant fun! It used to be my job to lift the back end around to get it square to the kerb when dad parked! 

I was contemplating buying one a few years ago. A heavily modified 4 wheeler with Mini mechanicals.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Next up is a little resin-bodied Morris J type van (not an Oxford model).

I shall try the little gear motor as shown, but it may prove too fast - it's about 240rpm......

46637927814_5d6c960720_c.jpg

2019-03-12_05-22-14 by giles favell, on Flickr

The other issue with this is the front axle, which needs to be significantly smaller than the lorries I've done in the past. To this end i've done it slightly differently, and CNC'd the stub axle and axle components from 1mm brass using my Stepcraft mill.  Slow, but very successful. I used a 0.8mm D cutter, but next time I will split the process into drilling and then profiling with a larger cutter so I can go faster.

46637893364_66f2c558e2_c.jpg

2019-03-12_05-18-21 by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had a further play with the Stepcraft mill and persuaded it to do something other than profiling.

Because I used a 0.8mm dia cutter, I was very caution about feed rates and cutting depth  - so this took over an hour! The finished piece is 6.6mm dia, and the nuts are 0.9mm AD.

40656998923_116b5571a1_h.jpg

2019-04-16_06-03-51 by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

Its computer driven Dave, so there's some software to learn....

This is it, though without the spindle (the drilling motor) fitted in this shot. Mine is one of the smallest, cutting up to A3. Most people use them for wood carving and sign making - but they're better than that....

39433908741_20052c8eb3_k.jpg

Stepcraft 420 by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 4

Thank you Gents.... i'm very fortunate in the tools I've acquired over time! 

I must say this has taken some persistence. I finally managed to work out how to do it 'properly' from an stl 3D model, but it broke yet another tool within the first second, so I guess doing it the long way is better.... I also had problems doing this job in Nickel Silver, and for some reason that was breaking cutters left right and centre. So I have gone back to brass with a 0.8mm cutter going slowly.

This is the first 'production' one, and it took 50 minutes cutting time, but came out really nicely.

47582251632_a02e140670_k.jpg

CNC cylinder end cover by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5