2 hours ago, Giles said:

Ah, sorry - the video wasn't intended to prove endurance for a full day - we know that from the previous models working at exhibitions. The video was simply to show the traction engine operating under radio control, and yes, is therefore rather unspectacular.

Possibly!

But the model is quite spectacular

What will be next???

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Giles said:

Ah, sorry - the video wasn't intended to prove endurance for a full day - we know that from the previous models working at exhibitions. The video was simply to show the traction engine operating under radio control, and yes, is therefore rather unspectacular.

I was joking just in case it wasn't clear! Quite aside from the mechanicals, the paint finish is superb as well. I am a massive fan of your light-grade sanding techniques, with the only downside that I am now churning out pretty much everything in polished finish! 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

No problem!  Incidentally, the finish is a slight variation on a theme. It wasn't really practical to use wet & dry on this, so it has all been done with a wipe or two of Duraglit, and then scrubbing with an old, soft tooth-brush. This gets into every nook and cranny, round all the spokes, and gives a nice worn finish.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That little Aveling tractor - roller conversion is really impressive.  I wonder whether a check chain between the steering chains would help to stop them snagging on the front wheels?  The steering servo could be a lot slower - the steersman / driver would be like whirling Dervish to get the front axle turning that fast!

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 2

Ah - it was my wife's first time driving the thing... Although one can fit a servo-slow, it's perfectly easy just to operate the steering gently, with practice (as one really needs to with all the vehicles). Yes a check chain would stop them snagging. Given than the chain is being pulled through, I'm a teeny bit reluctant to add further load on to the very small servo though. We'll see.

• Like 2

• AY Mod featured this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know the occasional lorry isn't to everyone's taste - but never mind!

I have silver soldered the tipper body frame together, with the opening tail-gate. (MDF drop-sides and headboard timbers)

The tail-gate should of course lock when down so that the load doesnt get spilt. In reality this is of course a manual operation, but for RC, this is going to have to be an automatic mechanical system. So...... the tailgate is held closed  by a pair of pivoting latches, which are operated by a rod forward on the tipper frame. This terminates in a bell-crank, which, when lowered hits a block or plate, and forces the catches to rise and trap the tail-gate. It actually works as well.....

48560144402_7930210fc1_b.jpg

2019-08-17_07-04-12 by giles favell

48559976381_64a4af0f95_b.jpg

2019-08-17_06-59-39 by giles favell, on Flickr

48560075677_afd62e8707_b.jpg

Rc tipper by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 14

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2019 at 18:37, Giles said:

Aside from a little weathering, the traction engine is finished and working! (And it does....). Not perhaps the finest control, but to an extent that comes with the territory.

It was an exercise to see if it was reasonably viable,  and it is - although frankly a lathe is necessary for a couple of bits, and one needs gears - either making them one's self, or sourcing them.

I've got a 400mAh battery under the canopy, which will last a day, but one would be struggling to get anything bigger without it being visible.

1:43 radio controlled Traction Engine. 7mm scale by giles favell, on Flickr

Great stuff. I like that even the valve gear excentres are working. How long will it take to see a live steam version from you ? :) 

Vecchio, who is already happy when he makes some pantographs move....

• Like 1

On 23/08/2019 at 13:09, Vecchio said:

Great stuff. I like that even the valve gear excentres are working. How long will it take to see a live steam version from you ? :) 

Vecchio, who is already happy when he makes some pantographs move....

Nah.... I only do live steam when it can pull thirty or more people....!

But thanks! I sort of enjoyed the challenge of building it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Just seen the side-on photo of the traction engine you posted elsewhere and it looks even more stunning.

Having said that, bit of a short-cut not bothering to make the steering wheel operational? :D

I'm sure if you look closely,  you'll see the driver's arm spinning the wheel frantically......!

48097753098_d9a6b9d29c_b.jpg

TE1 by giles favell, on Flickr

48060612996_f4a8b48085_b.jpg

1:43 radio control traction engine By Giles by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 8

Incredible work Giles.

This thread has inspired me to have a go at converting a vehicle or two, I’m wondering if you can give any suggestions on suitable transmitters for the deltang receivers?

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

For most of the vehicles I use the cheap E-Flite/ParkZone type DSM2 transmitters that pop up on Ebay from time to time. However, for things like the steam crane, or the Mechanical Horse where I needed to reverse the servo direction , I use a Jumper TS8, which is competetively priced, and programmable. 

I have been very happy with both types in their relevant usage!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi Richard,

Thanks! The traction engine was as simple as it gets....... Halfords black rattlecan, and a 2000 grit rub-down of what I could get to (which wasn't very much!) so I then progressively wiped over the whole lot with Duraglit, and scrubbed into all the spokes, nooks and crannies with a soft tooth-brush which polished it to what you see..... Ony a litttle rust and dirt was added after that....

Really very simple, but I recommend the tooth-brush!

Copper pipe is done with Humbrol metalcote Gunmetal with a tad of copper in it, to give the dirty, heated copper colour, rather than the very bright copper you so ofen see.

5 minutes ago, Giles said:

Hi Richard,

Thanks! The traction engine was as simple as it gets....... Halfords black rattlecan, and a 2000 grit rub-down of what I could get to (which wasn't very much!) so I then progressively wiped over the whole lot with Duraglit, and scrubbed into all the spokes, nooks and crannies with a soft tooth-brush which polished it to what you see..... Ony a litttle rust and dirt was added after that....

Really very simple, but I recommend the tooth-brush!

Copper pipe is done with Humbrol metalcote Gunmetal with a tad of copper in it, to give the dirty, heated copper colour, rather than the very bright copper you so ofen see.

Simple is quite often best. It's beautiful. It looks hot and oily!

How do you get rid of any white dusty deposits once the Duraglit dries?

• Like 1

With a thorough brushing, I don't really get any........ but any small bits a tissue would get.

Single handed filming/operation isn't easy!

Edited by Giles
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Thanks for the advice Giles, I’m now waiting on loads of bits arriving so I can have a go at a lorry.

I’ve also found a diecast dumper model which might have potential (it’s a bit like the one about 4 minutes into this video)

Many thanks

Mike

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have this appalling habit of having ideas, and starting them and then getting diverted. Fortunately I do tend to pick them up again eventually.....

About three years ago I bought 3 Austin 7s on EBay from China, as they were about a fiver each, and looked to have decent wheels - whereas the Oxford ones are based on clear plastic discs, which I couldn't cope with. The down side is that they're not glazed,nut that is dealable with.....  of course the scheme was to motorise them,  and I stripped one down and repainted it accordingly.

I then got distracted....

At a recent show, Kevin from Up The Line showed me his Austin 7 of exactly the same make that he had almost finished converting, and that (plus an on-going experiment with front axles) spurred me on to do some work on mine. I'm using my favourite K20 gear motor, which is bulkier than the type that Kevin is using (I have one of that type in stock as well, but I don't get on with it so well) in conjunction with 0.3Mod bevel gears. The servo is the usual 1.7g type, which is still the smallest commonly available. I have yet to fit the charging socket, receiver and battery, which will fill the whole thing to the window line. Sadly the largest battery I will be able to fit is a 200mAh, which will limit it's availability. 

I've just about sorted a reliable front axle design, which may become available in different widths in the near future 

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5