Pews for Church kit

Peter from PH designs has kindly sent me some preview images of the pews that he has worked up to fit into my new Church kit. I think they look superb and are really going to enhance the wall and floor interior detail already included in the kit. Thanks also to Traction (Ian) for suggesting this to Peter and getting it rolling...

Release date TBA. Dimensions as follows:

"...40mm long that’s 10’ in scale which will allow two rows with a 5’ isle in the middle should be wide enough for most weddings. "

post-8868-127845845014_thumb.jpg

post-8868-127845846624_thumb.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

Dunno if this is too late but they look way out of proportion, the shape is totally wrong. have a look at

http://www.google.com/images?q=church%20pew&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Having said that I assume these are based on measurements of an actual seat? Even so its a very bizzare shape.

Will these be etched or laser cut wood? If they are etched do they fold up from 1 piece? Would be dead easy to make them so that they do.

Cheers

Jim

They look very similar to the St Johns Church pews on the page you linked to. I imagine that since such items would have been carved locally, by devout local craftsmen, sizes and styles would (wood?) have varied widely throughout the county, depending on availability of wood, denomination of church, and space required. However please don't let us get into an argument about prototypical pew shapes , as happens on various model loco threads regarding roof shapes, or the Mods will lock the topic. biggrin.gif

I'm afraid to say a bit odd looking for the churches I'm familair with - Midlands and South West. OH is a building historian so we get to visit a lot of sites. Would have thought that straighter ends would have been more widely applicable.

The bench design looks good, it has got to be generic, but might as well be distinct, as plainer shapes could simply be made from wood or plastic strip, and this is much more complex. Copying an exact example lays you into regional variation's being completely wrong, but the outline covers most Church pew designs, and matches the churches style.

If you are into details, the front pews would be half length to allow for re-arrangement for funerals and weddings, and doubled for normal use. In a modern period church the front rows may be individual seats.

Older arrangements involved boxed seats reserved for local families at the front, and simple bench seats at the back. As the Vicotrian period progressed a lot of brass was used, posts, and bars near the Alter, and a general increase in decoration from the earlier reformation simplicity.

A nice feature would be some brasses for the floor, etchings would be perfect, and fantasy Gaming figures could provide statues and busts for tombs and memorials on the walls.

Stephen.

Guest jim s-w

Try to imagine a person sitting in it/ If they are small enough for their legs to be comfortable then they wouldnt be able to see over the top of the pew in front.

The greek ideal is that a person is 8 'heads' tall. Although in reality few people are (elle mcpherson is) and most of us are 7 heads tall, The legs are roughly half that and halved themselves. Using 8 heads for ease of maths of while seated we are 6 heads tall or 1 third of our height is our legs and 2 thirds our torso and head.

Bearing that in mind if you look at the position of the seat compared to the back you can see why i think it looks odd.

Its not an arguement about the shape of a church pew but more that the design appears to ignore the size and proportion of a person. I only brought it up in the hope that its not too late and can be changed - although with etches its never too late to change something - current phototools are so cheap compared to the old days.

Cheers

Jim

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have built the first Pew!!

Only had a very light coat of grey primer, need to get some wood coloured paint.

I don't have any OO sitting figures to put on it, but placing it next to a Hornby station bench that does have figures on it, all looks fine. The seat part is the same height, only with a high back.

Looks very good in the church.

post-6745-12813792757_thumb.jpg

post-6745-128137927783_thumb.jpg

post-6745-128137927972_thumb.jpg

By the time I've finished all of them I should get assembling them right!!

I don't think this would be easy if at all possible in N-gauge, the parts are fiddley now.

Still well pleased with the result.

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As a final couple of snaps the OO and N-gauge church together.

Still working out a layout plan that I can fit the OO church onto.

I'm hoping that I can adapt my Thomas & Friends layout so that the church will fit in the centre, will need to get some courage together to do the required surgery on that though!

post-6745-090776300 1284717590_thumb.jpg

post-6745-060867500 1284717594_thumb.jpg

Yes the roof isn't on fully on the OO layout as I was messing with the Pews inside.

Cheers

Ian

I knew this had to be "High Church" when I saw the felt padding on the pews - you'd never get that in a Welsh Congregationalist Chapel! The bare pews actually looked right to me; I've sat in some that looked pretty close to those. Can't have comfy bums when the minister is letting fly about Hellfire and perdition! Riglo a siglo, (wriggle and squirm)!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

As a final couple of snaps the OO and N-gauge church together.

Still working out a layout plan that I can fit the OO church onto.

I'm hoping that I can adapt my Thomas & Friends layout so that the church will fit in the centre, will need to get some courage together to do the required surgery on that though!

Yes the roof isn't on fully on the OO layout as I was messing with the Pews inside.

Cheers

Ian

The 'photos of your church look absolutely fabulous. I had not planned a church, might have to change my mind now!

I knew this had to be "High Church" when I saw the felt padding on the pews - you'd never get that in a Welsh Congregationalist Chapel! The bare pews actually looked right to me; I've sat in some that looked pretty close to those. Can't have comfy bums when the minister is letting fly about Hellfire and perdition! Riglo a siglo, (wriggle and squirm)!

Hi, Mr T,

The same thing went through my mind, all my churches have had kneelers [little square/rectangular pads] under the pews for the praying bit. They either fitted into the hymn book shelf behind the pew in front or you were a kind person and picked them up and put them on the pew when you left so the sweeper could clear up the Murray-mint wrappers more easily!

Nice work, I've enjoyed this thread.

Doug

• RMweb Premium

All you need now, Ian, is tiny "Books of Common Prayer" or "Hymn Books" either on each seat, or on a table by the door may be easier Carved balsa would work

And lots of those kneeing cushions that they have in our local (which has very high backed pews)

• 3 weeks later...

I have built the first Pew!!

Only had a very light coat of grey primer, need to get some wood coloured paint.

Ian,

The pews look great, and this thread must have upped the sales of John's churches; it's suddenly become next on my list even though I've got nowhere to put it yet (I wonder whether I'll ever get round to finishing starting my low-relief high street :angry: )

I'd be interested in any photo's of your construction stages that you can post. Also, is there any news on release date, cost etc. that you have heard? It's not yet on PH Designs website as far as I can see.

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the kind words.

If you send Peter an email or PM he will send the details through to you.

I don't think I have any photos of the build, I do have a spare pew which I think I could take some photos of, just trying to find the time!

I'm building the large over all roof at the minute....actually it's three of them! for an extension to my layout, which needs to be all completed and ready for Mansfield next year.

So frantic build of platforms, subways, large station building and the large roof!!

Then I have to do the scenery and wiring........why did I decide to do this now?

Cheers

Ian

Thats fantastic very very impressive, how long did it take you to do, the pews? Preiser have some excellent sitting figures in 00 and n. You can purchase them painted but they can be pricey that way.

Certainly got your hands full. Excellent work.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived