Bachmann O4

Andy Y

The bigger image of BR late crest one and the LNER one is still the preproduction model - notice how the front tension lock couplings disappears.

Also comparing the pre- and production pictures, the angle of the cylinders and/or slide bars has changed... From looking right to looking a bit flat. I hope that's just a trick of the photo.

the piston should be in a line with the centre of the driven wheel!!

The O4s are still not on the 'due next 60 days' list, so obviously not that close (i.e. not out of the factory?).

The bigger image of BR late crest one and the LNER one is still the preproduction model - notice how the front tension lock couplings disappears.

Hi,

The Tension lock Coupling may of disappeared on the LNER vision, but the NEM coupling pocket is still there

Simon

• RMweb Gold

If it's half as good as the Super D then I'm getting one! Now for my heavy freight collection I need Evening Star, Hornby's 2884, and a slow and dirty 7f!wink.gif Might be slight overkill for a preserved line with 2 9fs, a Super D, a O4, a 2884 and a 7f blink.gif

LH&JC, why is is over kill to have all those lovely Bachmann "lots o wheels" and black loco's draging long freights around (hey even do that on preserved RW's)

Try the Super D with sound it is great. I have just fitted mine.

I wonder when the sound chip will appear for the ROD? I hope Brian at Howes has been to the GCR to record the real thing already! :D

Just noticed the following on MREmag.

"The following models are currently on their way from China and should be in the shops sometime next month:

31-001

Robinson O4 2-8-0 63601 in BR black with late insignia

31-002

Robinson O4 2-8-0 63635 in BR black with early insignia

31-003

Robinson O4 2-8-0 6190 in LNER black "

Looks like a new loco will be joining the stud soon. Finally

As someone once said "Like what you run and run what you like"

Though I concentrate on LNER, but have a growing amount of BR all regions locos for something different.

LMR - Duchess, 8F, Stanier 264T, WR - Grange, 4575, 87xx, SR - Merchant Navy, King Arthur, Schools, NE - A1, A3 & A4.

MArk

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see if they do the GCR livery (I thought that George Dow in his trilogy said that this was black), possibly one in the ROD colours.

Looks like my KS one has finally been shunted into the sidings next to the Wrenn BR Standard 4 tank.

Well people may have noticed that it has now appeared on the Bachmann Website as due in the next 60 days... So ladies and Gentlemen they will be here soon! smile.gif smile.gif

Yes they are and they look nice too should fly off the shelves too if the Eastern demand is strong then who knows...

Also the Thompson coaches are on the site too, wonder if they have had an upgrade??

Hi,

I believe that the Thompsons have re-tooled bogies that include NEM pockets.

Simon

Flush Glazing retool too much to ask as well (a la Hornby Mk1 Flush upgrade in the 1990s)

Just noticed some of the other '60 days' stock is available at Hatton’s (and no doubt other retailers). Given MREMAG was informing us that the O4s were on the boat in early May, this correlates with a 4 week voyage. ....

AF (overenthusiastic correlation=causality moment. I know they might not be on the same boat/container etc etc)

Flush Glazing retool too much to ask as well (a la Hornby Mk1 Flush upgrade in the 1990s)

Just noticed some of the other '60 days' stock is available at Hatton’s (and no doubt other retailers). Given MREMAG was informing us that the O4s were on the boat in early May, this correlates with a 4 week voyage. ....

AF (overenthusiastic correlation=causality moment. I know they might not be on the same boat/container etc etc)

I had an email today from Hattons saying that they expect them in by mid june as Bachmann have informed them there are on the way. Not long now!

Guest Max Stafford

Re-tooled bogies on the Thompsons suits me fine, I can take care of any other refinements myself! :)

Dave.

On the subject of 'refinement', does anyone else have the witches brew paint pot on the go in anticipation of tarring and feathering their O4? Mine is going straight into moving heap of grime condition, number and totem invisible, rust breaking out all over, giant bird droppings on the smokebox from a recent priming incident. Haven't looked forward to a loco release so much since the K3 appeared...

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen the review in this months Hornby Magazine (other magazines with reviews available, like Railway Modeller!!)

First impressions WOW...

... then I turned two pages to a similar three quarters view (from the opposite side) to a picture of the model.

OH DEAR - my musing some postings back about the cylinder heights are correct. A gaping gap not only above the cylinders of the model but also between the slide bars and the running plate....

What annoys me is the pre-production and test shots were clearly better. Here's a pic of the test shot: http://www.modelrailforum.com/images/Bachmann/04_news.jpg

The front ends of the top slide bars are hidden by the running plate .

Compare with http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/31-002.jpg&cat_no=31-002&info=97&width=650&height=222

albeit take from a slightly lower angle, the entire slide bar is visible. Also the top slide bar is clearly higher compared to the (second) foot-step (which is so close perspective fx will be almost nil).

Its all very well going on about 'fine detail' blablabla in reviews, but (as was discussed with the 86) if basic dimensions are incorrect.... (yes I consider cylinder height a 'basic dimension'). Clearly a mistake - the line of the piston misses the centre of the 3rd axle by a similar amount to the apparent error in the cylinder height (judging by a straight line on the review pic - not 100% scientific)

I do sometimes wonders what goes on between Barwell/Margate and China - lost in translation? What irks me is that is WAS right on the pre-production model and someone, somewhere has changed something, after someone (else?) made an original effort to get it correct!.

Hopefully it won't be too hard to put right when I get my hands on '601 when I’ll make a final judgement on an otherwise impressive model. Yet another example of work required to correct a 'ready to run' model!

I feel awful criticising what looks a lovely model (especially after my musings about the Well Tank, to which Dapol gave me a nice considered reply).

I accept compromise, but not stupid errors which occurred between tooling and production....

Alpha Foxtrot

Archived