Narrow Planet

invercloy

Recently a few of us have banded together and begun to offer a custom name plate etching service for narrow gauge modellers.

The following styles are currently available:

4476220844_d921096fa0.jpg

- sans-serif type with rounded corners to the plate
- sans-serif lower case (type size depends if there are any letters with descenders in the name)
- "Hunslet" style sans-serif with thicker lettering and thinner surround

- serif type with "GWR style" rounded ends
- serif type with square ends

These are 2mm high as standard and suitable for OO9 but we would be willing to discuss other styles or sizes too. The 3mm styles show have been done for O9 and smaller locos in O16.5

Length obviously varies with the length of the name. To give an example a 6 character sans-serif plate is 9.4mm long, an 8 character serif plate is 13.5mm. Any length and text is possible but bear in mind how big (or not) OO9 locos are! We can advise how long a particular name works out at.

The price is currently £4 per pair inc. UK postage, regardless of length. Once we have a measure of production costs prices may change (hopefully downwards). The most efficient way to do this will be to get a reasonable sized batch together and etch them all in one go so there may be a wait until a big enough set is gathered.

The pricing structure offers a better deal for larger orders:

1 - 2 pairs - £4.00 each
3 - 5 pairs - £3.50 each
6 - 9 pairs - £3.00 each
10+ pairs - £2.50 each

As well as the custom work which is ongoing, we can offer a set of 3 pairs of works plates for OO9. They are all representative of typical plates, although one pair is Hunslet style with legible 'Leeds' text in the centre (so this could also suffice for other Leeds manufacturers).

These are £3 each including UK postage.

4508486993_e5db4faefb.jpg

Orders can be placed at - Narrow Planet nameplates

Examples of our plates already in use on customer's models are on the above website.

The service is currently run on a batch basis and payment will be requested at the time each batch goes to the etcher. There is an indicator on our website to show how close the latest batch is to going off for etching.

Please feel free to circulate the www.narrowplanet.co.uk URL to anyone else you think might be interested.

Also in the pipeline are some 009 fishplates wink.gif

Edited by invercloy
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What would be the price for a set of O gauge custom nameplates for a Ruston 165 (yes I know my prototype didn't have a name!)

So far I've been able to stick to the prices quoted above for 4mm and 7mm scale narrow gauge nameplates, and I expect a 7mm industrial would fit in to that as well. Let me know the height and type style you'd need and I'll confirm.

• RMweb Premium
<br />id would be very interested in some custom 00 gauge names. to fit a new Hornby britannia. in sans lower b, possibly, or gill sans if you have it. i would be after the name 'Derek Griffin'. would this be possible?<br />

Gill Sans is no problem, I would just need to know what size the plates should be. A photo reference of a real Britannia plate would help as well.

So far I've been able to stick to the prices quoted above for 4mm and 7mm scale narrow gauge nameplates, and I expect a 7mm industrial would fit in to that as well. Let me know the height and type style you'd need and I'll confirm.

How long would "CAROLYN" in 3mm 'Hunslet' be? I'm not sure whether I have room to fit the plates on!

Perhaps you could let me know the same but 2mm (small plates would be fine I'm sure).

It's a fairly cheap and easy way to butter up SWMBO to allow me to fund future modelling projects if I named a loco after her...

I'm still building the kit so there's no hurry.

I'd like to add that I have just used Narrow Planet for the first time for some custom plates for a 4mm industrial tank I am working on over on the kitbuilding thread.

They did a great job, and kept me in the loop the whole way through the process - sending proof art for me to approve, letting me know when the batch was closed, and when the goods were on their way.

They get two thumbs up from me.

Scott

4751414183_d162cf135c.jpg

• Like 2

As a permanent range I'd say slim as it's rather divergent from the narrow gauge theme we're focussing on.

If you want something specific drop us a line and we can see how do-able it is as a one off.

• RMweb Premium

Whats the chances that you'd branch out from this and expand to headboards...... although Ive some names that I'd like to consider too.... especially if you did some in a modern image style....

The focus is on things useful to narrow gauge modellers so headboards would be unlikely. The lower case nameplates were based on a request to do "Class 60 style" names for NG locos so I guess it depends what "modern image" looks like!

• RMweb Premium

I've seen on another thread that you do a detailing etch for a Ruston 48DS. Would the Ruston plates be available for 4mm seperately?

The 48DS details mentioned by jukebox on his loco build thread are actually by Ian McCormac. http://ianmaccormacmodels.blogspot.com/

I would be happy to do individual Ruston motifs if you can't source them elsewhere.

The focus is on things useful to narrow gauge modellers so headboards would be unlikely.

Inserts tongue firmly in cheek... Really? Headboards and NG?

post-3210-127887954321_thumb.jpg

From our annual private trip and BBQ, just about to leave Tywyn about a month ago.

Good luck with the new venture anyway. I hope that it is justifiably popular.

Flymo

The 48DS details mentioned by jukebox on his loco build thread are actually by Ian McCormac. http://ianmaccormacm...s.blogspot.com/

I would be happy to do individual Ruston motifs if you can't source them elsewhere.

Yes that would be usefull, I'd like the later style Ruston plate and the 'RH' plates that adorn the cab sides. I'll get some photos and measurements to you sometime.

What I was wondering about a headboard was something akin to the different ones that are used on the main national network. Most manufactuers stick to the BR and former regions traditional headboards but offer little in the way of new boards made for excursions or newly named trains since.

Things like the Scarborough Spa Express, or the one that Im interested in, "The Dalesman" would be brilliant, but also trains such as the Moorlander, Cathedrals Express, or Cumbrian Mountain Express I would have thought would be very popular amongst modellers wanting to run a special train on 00 gauge. The expansion into this area for your company I would have thought would be very beneficial.

I would also not just want 2 of the Dalesman, but perhaps even 6, to give spares for the trains Im wanting to run.

If it is possible then I can place an order for details, but I think others might be interested should the venture be taken forward on a broader basis.

What I was wondering about a headboard was something akin to the different ones that are used on the main national network. Most manufactuers stick to the BR and former regions traditional headboards but offer little in the way of new boards made for excursions or newly named trains since.

Things like the Scarborough Spa Express, or the one that Im interested in, "The Dalesman" would be brilliant, but also trains such as the Moorlander, Cathedrals Express, or Cumbrian Mountain Express I would have thought would be very popular amongst modellers wanting to run a special train on 00 gauge. The expansion into this area for your company I would have thought would be very beneficial.

Precision Labels and I think 247 have done those sorts of headboards in the past.

Thanks Craig, I suspected there would be someone else who could supply that kind of thing.

I agree, there are plenty of standard gauge manufacturers out there, it would be nice for us to stay 'on brand' by keeping to narrow gauge prototypes.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My custom set arrived today, excellent and thank you so much.

Having nameplates of SWMBO's name for a shunter kit will go a long, long way in keeping me permitted to continue modelling...

Now why have I not thought of that ---- BRILLIANT!:rolleyes:

36E

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

To bring this thread back from the dead, Narrow Planet has expanded over the past few years - we now offer a range of kits and a huge range of narrow gauge nameplates.
The website is up to date with our current products - anyone who visited ExpoNG on Saturday will have seen us launch the third and fourth locomotive kits, both of which sold out on the day.

www.narrowplanet.co.uk

At this stage I'd like to take the opportunity to hi-light our first steam locomotive kit in 009, an industrial O&K. Our kits are multimedia and blend the best of 3D printing with etched metal overlays to produce easy to assemble, detailed and prototypically accurate kits - using proven, good running, commercially available chassis.

photo%2B2-736550.JPG

Left: pre-production 20hp loco with open cab, not to be produced, Right: production 40hp locomotive

After the initial batch sold out there have been some good conversations about different versions and to this end we are going to offer an additional three options in the next batch, to cover a range of prototypes, each with prototype specific details as required, including an additional etch for name plates or any other specific etched detail. These all are based upon the 'standard' kit but allow you to more easily represent your chosen prototype, or just choose a locomotive you like. 

The next batch will be largely by pre-order (although a few extra of each type will be sourced for selling at shows and events).
Can I please ask that those interested email us at orders@narrowplanet.co.uk to make a firm order. A 50% deposit will be requested in advance when we place the order with the 3D printers, payable through Paypal. The balance will be requested when the bodies are delivered to us prior to dispatch.

The four variants are (and the prices include UK delivery): 
NPL-003 - Standard 40hp locomotive - £50
NPL-003a - Eigiau - 30hp locomotive - £55
NPL-003b - PC Allen - 20hp locomotive - £55
NPL-003c - Utrillas - 30hp locomotive - £55

More details are below - any questions drop us an email or post on here and we'll try and answer your queries.

NPL-003 Standard 40hp locomotive
625x465_1699208_6608718_1410858818.jpg

NPL-003a - Eigiau
30hp locomotive as preserved on the Bredgar and Wormshill and that worked at Penryhn.
Specific details include no sand dome, bracing on rear of cab, cab handrail holes and front buffer beam.
625x465_2787258_7119056_1414008618.jpg

NPL-003b PC Allen
20hp locomotive, closed cab, as preserved on the Leighton Buzzard Light Railway.
Specific details include closed cab with bracing as per prototype to represent removable cab panels. Smaller steam dome.
625x465_2787256_7119037_1414008561.jpg

NPL-003c Utrillas
30hp locomotive as preserved at the West Lancs Light Railway and that previously served in Spain, similar to locomotives used in Sweden.
Specific details are longer tanks, shorter dome, different steam valve on dome, larger sand dome, rear bracing on cab and cab handrail holes.
625x465_2787259_7122175_1414015047.jpg

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 1