BRM Subscriptions

bigbloke

Whatever happended to the person who worked at BRM cant remember the name who use to post a monthly update as to the current contents???

I found a current unbagged copy at WH Smith a quick look not a lot in it again !! I havent bought it for months . Hornby and MRJ much much better content

Following the temptaion of freebies i too took out a subscription to BRM on 21st October 2010. I have had 2 emails asking me to choose an alternative free gift.

Aa letter arrived around 20th November stating when the direct debit would come out.

This week one free gift has arrived along with the annual - but no mag.

I am not impressed. Especially as the offer is designed to tempt new purchasers.

Paul

Whatever happended to the person who worked at BRM cant remember the name who use to post a monthly update as to the current contents???

That would be Dicky W. He's been looking after 'Traction' for the last twelve months or so and doesn't have much to do with BRM these days. Unfortunately, nobody else from the editorial team shows much interest in posting here.

I haven't received my January issue yet either, it was in WHS on Thursday. I'm looking forward to the Tetley Mills DVD.

I got a copy of the annual with my November issue and another copy with December's! Things seem a bit shambolic at Warners.

Tony Wright was at Wigan show today but I didn't have the heart to grumble at him about my Jan. issue being late, I'm sure it's not his fault.

Edward

I haven't received my January issue yet either, it was in WHS on Thursday. I'm looking forward to the Tetley Mills DVD.

I got a copy of the annual with my November issue and another copy with December's! Things seem a bit shambolic at Warners.

Tony Wright was at Wigan show today but I didn't have the heart to grumble at him about my Jan. issue being late, I'm sure it's not his fault.

Edward

I got two copies of the annual in the same manner. If Tony Wright was at Wigan show in his capacity as Assistant Editor of BRM then you are quite within your rights to put your concerns to him. He is a straightforward kind of guy and unless we let BRM know of the problems they will never be able to address them. I'm sure he won't take the grumbles personally and he is in a better position than most to do something about it. Perhaps BRM will have a complaints section at future shows?

• RMweb Gold

In fairness to the BRM staff I did mention my problems to the ladies on the BRM stand at NEC while buying a DVD and they were very helpful indeed and rang me three days later to confirm December issue was on its way. When I said I'd already emailed Warners subs they still insisted on trying to sort things out and took my details.

Chris

I too was tempted by the BRM Offer and duly placed an order for a subscription in early October.

Two weeks later I received an e-mail to say that "one of my chosen items was out of stock and would I care to select an alternative" which I duly did. Interestingly the girl on the phone said that not only was their supply of the book I had requested out of stock, it was not being re-printed. Clearly they had bought a cheap, job lot of books without correctly anticipating demand.

Three days later I received another e-mail requesting my bank details. Now as I had provided this information with my original appplication I was somewhat suspicious of the request so telephoned them to find out what was going on. The reason/excuse I was given for the request was that my application had suffered rain damage and they needed to be sure of the bank details. Having given them the details again I was then advised that my subscription would commence with the January 2011 Issue and that the "promotional items" would be sent out in early December.

I had been purchasing BRM for the previous 6 months from WHS so, based on this information, I decided to order the December Issue from the BRM web site. B I I I I G MISTAKE !!!!!. They took the money on 22nd November and I'm still waiting for the December magazine. Likewise I'm still waiting for all of the promised Freebies and, so it would seem, I'm also now waiting for the January magazine. I will be trying to make contact with them tomorrow but, from what I have read here, there seems to be not much chance of either getting through to them or of getting satisfaction.

In which case I too will be cancelling my subscription.

In answer to Mike J I didn't approach Tony Wright because he was there demonstrating loco building and not representing BRM. He was also in conversation with people watching his work each time I passed by so it didn't seem appropriate to grouse about BRM to him.

Monday 13th, 1pm, I eagerly await the postman who might just have my January BRM! Fingers crossed.

Edward

In answer to Mike J I didn't approach Tony Wright because he was there demonstrating loco building and not representing BRM. He was also in conversation with people watching his work each time I passed by so it didn't seem appropriate to grouse about BRM to him.

Monday 13th, 1pm, I eagerly await the postman who might just have my January BRM! Fingers crossed.

Edward

You did right Edward, Tony obviously had one of his many other hats on.

Still not got January BRM. :rolleyes:

My January issue finally arrived yesterday. I don't think anyone would be annoyed if the Magazine was delayed by the poor weather that we have had, although I drove through Bourne on Dec. 5th and things were not too bad. What does annoy me is that this delay happens every month and although subscribers complain, nothing is done by the Publishers to improve the situation. It certainly does not seem to affect the other Model Railway Magazines whose copies always arrive before publication date.

Free Gifts???

If you think about it logically, no business can give anything away for free, somebody has to pay.

The old saying is very much alive and well in 2010 ..... "If the offer seems too good to be true, then it probably is"

My only magazine subscription these days is MRJ which I just accept when it arrives, and as I don't look at publication dates anymore I don't get annoyed if it's later than promised.

regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I have a response from Warners today.

This is regarding the 'Special Offers' for New and Renewed Subscriptions - also late/non delivery of January isue.

Basic result is that tehre is another batch of Airbrushes expected this week which are going out ASAP.

Januyary issued was delayed but should be mailed to all subscribers this week.

Contains apologies etc

The realist in me thought the offer was 'Too good to miss' and that they might have problems with the uptake numbers.

As a result I expected some delays.

The delay to the magazine is something else though!

I will wait and see what the mailman brings....

Thanks

Thursday Dec. 16 and I'm still waiting for my subscription copy of Jan 2011 BRM. I rang the subscription number and got an automated reply saying that copies were delayed for "undefined" reasons. I was then switched to human reply system, but this being busy was switched to answering machine. This occurred twice, at which point I gave up. I wonder what delays can affectsubscribers copies, but not retail copies. I know the systems are different, but Royal Mail are working flat out at present (inside info).

I'm seriously considering not to renew my sub early next year.

Does anyone have any insight into the reason for the delay?

• RMweb Premium

Almost all my subscriptions are late this month - Railway Modeller, BRM and Rail have all appeared in WH Smith and the local newsagent. The reason for this would appear to be that the shops receive their supplies direct via wholesalers - often WHS and have, no doubt, other arrangements which have not been disrupted by the weather/ Christmas mail problems. I normally receive all three magazines before they appear in the shops. Patience, I think, is called for and something we 21st century consumers sometimes forget in difficult times!

Having emailed Warners I received a phone call from them yesterday. The gentleman said that they suspect a huge log jam in the Royal Mail system. All copies were despatched at the same time. For some reason they have received some copies returned undelivered so obviously something out of the ordinary has happened.

By coincidence I had a communication from a shop who had mailed me a package which was also returned undelivered and they asked me if the address was correct which it was. I told them to hold onto it until after Christmas when things return to normal. By now my BRM is about a week and a half late and was still not here in today's post.

I am trying to be patient about this but it is galling to see the magazine each time I visit WHS!

Edward

Guest dilbert

Thursday Dec. 16 and I'm still waiting for my subscription copy of Jan 2011 BRM. I rang the subscription number and got an automated reply saying that copies were delayed for "undefined" reasons. I was then switched to human reply system, but this being busy was switched to answering machine. This occurred twice, at which point I gave up. I wonder what delays can affectsubscribers copies, but not retail copies. I know the systems are different, but Royal Mail are working flat out at present (inside info).

I'm seriously considering not to renew my sub early next year.

Does anyone have any insight into the reason for the delay?

Snow ? Bad Weather ? It seems that when the UK gets a little bit of snow the whole system goes into a standard state of suspended animation. Getting critical spare parts to a data centre in the UK has proven difficult because courrier services won't commit to delivery - fortunately the critical spares replace those that are pulled from existing inventory - there is a buffer, but... in the end there are quite a few jobs on the line if a critical component is not available - makes a sub copy of a mag seem trivial... dilbert

I too am not happy - didnt even get my subscrition! All details completed online and confirmation email delivered to me but sub never started. Im guessing my order was cancelled due the huge demand but have never been told this, just pushed from pillar to post with various excuses. Now been confirmed i will not be getting my sub. Not impressed. Letter to the editor forthcoming......

I too am not happy - didnt even get my subscrition! All details completed online and confirmation email delivered to me but sub never started. Im guessing my order was cancelled due the huge demand but have never been told this, just pushed from pillar to post with various excuses. Now been confirmed i will not be getting my sub. Not impressed. Letter to the editor forthcoming......

IMO a letter to the editor won't get you very far. I would suggest you write directly to Stephen Warner, he's the guy in charge there, and let him know that you are unhappy and why. If he cares about his business, as he should, he ought to able to do something to rectify this problem.

I know the frustration you feel. I never could get consistent delivery of my sub this past year. Warner's circulation department ran me through rabbit holes.

I've given up on BRM. Not worth the hassle.

IMO a letter to the editor won't get you very far. I would suggest you write directly to Stephen Warner, he's the guy in charge there, and let him know that you are unhappy and why. If he cares about his business, as he should, he ought to able to do something to rectify this problem.

Warner's Group loses track of too many subscription payments and its fulfillment department, or what passes for one, is truly awful. Dealing with circulation is like dealing with a government bureaucracy.

Yes, Warner ought to be able to straighten it out. I'm quite skeptical he can, though, without blood-letting. Among his first priorities should be to sack his circulation manager as well as his/her mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging minion in charge of subscription fulfillment. Then he needs to implement an edict that all subscription concerns be resolved to the customer's satisfaction within five business days.

Archived