Coaling tower questions answered

• RMweb Premium

If you are modelling GWR, don't forget that this type of coaling is totally alien.

GW built something similar to the Hornby coaling stage - a long ramp to the height of an engine on to which coal wagons were shunted. They then decanted into little wooden trucks inside a shed, which in turn ran on rails perpendicular to the tracks and tipped directly onto/into the tender.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I hope this posting is still live, I am looking for information about the coaling plant at Buxton, it appears to be unique in that the wagons were lifted and tipped into a hopper which was between running lines rather than over one and then the discharged coal was lifted, by conveyor or bucket to a small hopper over the loco. Confirmation of this lifting mechanism and any photos would be very useful. Thanks Tony.

We have a lift at work that lifts bulk bins of the steel nuts that we produce upto a hopper that is then fed by gravity and vibrating trays to the packing machine head.

There is simply a bar at the point where the bin gets to the optimum point of tipping that the bin rest against as the lift stops, due to the way the lift goes up the rails (same as the coaling tower lift does) it is a very gentle transition as it actually tips the bin at the top and then lowers it again.

• 4 years later...

Hi Jamie

Could you help please i am building a coaling tower for my model rail lay out, and i am stuck with the securing of the wagon at the top of the tower when it tips,

look forward to hearing from you

regards

john

HI Jamie

Co0uld you please send through the remaining photos of coaling tower I seem to lost them some where as my old lap top give up the ghost

many thanks

john

Hi Jamie

Could you help please i am building a coaling tower for my model rail lay out, and i am stuck with the securing of the wagon at the top of the tower when it tips,

look forward to hearing from you

regards

john

As might be expected it's quite simple really.  Within the hood at the top of the lift is a beam, which is counter-balanced.  When the wagon gets to the top it meets this beam, which is positioned around the longitudinal centre line of said wagon.  The beam is pivoted such that as the wagon continues up and around the curved track which tilts the wagon for discharge of its load, the beam presses the wagon against the cradle rails and stops it (usually) falling into the bunker.

Steve (who has tried to study this for possible use on Rose Grove)

• 4 years later...