Peterborough North

great northern

The rail might be a tiny bit low, since it was done by 'rack of eye'. It should be below the horizontal halfway line of the large windows and half-way on the door windows. My reference is page 42 in the Harris 'bible'. Comparing the model coach with the coach in the picture on p. 42, I'd say it's not far off, but a little low. 

I've also used .7mm brass wire in the past for the rail but it looks too thick in my opinion.

I wonder what Larry uses?

Tan colour cellulose paint ruled on after the glazing has been fitted.

tomorrow there will be some very significant happenings at PN. Watch this space. :secret:

I believe Gilbert at this very moment is locked in a deadly struggle with an image manipulation program as he tries to make ready for the promised revelation.

'Tis a nice railway he has, and he provided a very welcome lunch for visitors today.

Now that is MUCH better! ;)

Must be something in the air, as further East in Lincolnshire, there were apple green Pacifics with Teaks running through Little Bytham yesterday! :mosking:

Edited by 2750

Very nicely presented pictures Gilbert. You must have some kind of night vision intensifier camera as I'm sure I could not have obtained a single picture that did not look muddy, dim and generally horrible in the light as we had it yesterday. That ugly bloke in the blue purple and grey shirt definitely shouldn't be there in 1938, or any other year for that matter. Never mind, if I concentrate on the railway I don't notice him so much.

Now that is MUCH better! ;)

Must be something in the air, as further East in Lincolnshire, there were apple green Pacifics with Teaks running through Little Bytham yesterday! :mosking:

There often is something in the air here in Lincolnshire, but even if I typed in its name I think this website's filters would block out the word.

When I hired that helicopter a while back, I noticed that the company also offered Tardis hire. There was a long waiting list, so I've only just got hold of it, and then a short time was all I could afford. It gets more expensive the further you want to go too........but when you see these images I think you may agree that I could afford to get just far enough.

attachicon.gifGK 1.jpg

Here is the M&GN as it used to be pre war. Old loco, and even older stock, but still up to a gentle potter across the Fens.

attachicon.gifGK 2.jpg

LNER class J41 by the way.

attachicon.gifGK 3.jpg

attachicon.gifGK 4.jpg

Next, an Ivatt Atlantic arrives with a northbound semi fast.

attachicon.gifGK 6.jpg

And is well worth viewing from another angle. There are quite a lot of these images, so I hope you will forgive me for being sparing with photoshopping. Come to think of it, Mick LNER will applaud me for it. :)

attachicon.gifGK 7.jpg

Coming South is Royal Lancer, in immaculate condition.

attachicon.gifGK 10.jpg

followed by an equally immaculate V2, with an eclectic mix of stock. You may think the spotters on the platform look familiar. That is because they are the fathers of the lads who are there in 1958. :mosking:

attachicon.gifGK 11.jpg

The camera isn't very keen on that black and white lining for some reason.

attachicon.gifGK 12.jpg

A bit Hush Hush this one, though in rebuilt form.

attachicon.gifGK 13.jpg

attachicon.gifGK 14.jpg

I admit to finding that Atlantic very tempting, but this loco I find almost irresistible. One of JG Robinson's finest, and how I wish that one had survived until 1958.

attachicon.gifGK 15.jpg

A close up view of this one was absolutely necessary.

attachicon.gifGK 16.jpg

And in the background here we have the creator of these marvels. I'm sure that some of you at least will already have realised that they are the work of Graeme King, and I'm very grateful to him for bringing a selection of his locos and stock today so that we could recreate pre war PN. Graeme is a little out of focus, but I don't want any cheap jibes about that being the best way to view him. :nono: I'm above that sort of thing.

attachicon.gifGK 17.jpg

And here you get three of them for the price of one.

attachicon.gifGK 18.jpg

Approaching now is an almost unique loco. Graeme tells me this is an auspicious occasion, as it is the first time that his scratchbuilt P1 has been photographed on a layout where it would actually have been seen. Grantham and Little Bytham don't count, as these monsters were always employed between New England and London.

attachicon.gifGK 20.jpg

attachicon.gifGK 21.jpg

attachicon.gifGK 22.jpg

attachicon.gifGK 23.jpg

Well worth following this beast as it drags its 100 wagons slowly through the station.

attachicon.gifGK 25.jpg

That was going to be the lot, but then my eye drifted back to that Atlantic.

attachicon.gifGK 26.jpg

And just one more, I couldn't resist it.

Graeme was not the only visitor today. With him came John White, whose Leeds Central layout is already on the exhibition circuit, and who is just starting a model of Doncaster in 1963. We really shall soon have most of the ECML covered. John brought some locos fitted with the latest Zimo sound decoders, and very impressive they were too. I did try to take a photo of him too, but he ducked.

A geat day guys, many thanks for your company, and the photo opportunities. I've rushed these a bit, so I may spend some more time on a few in the next few days. I am aware by the way that there are some things in view that should not be there in 1938, but there was a limit to how much I could take off the layout in the time available.

Gilbert you were very fortunate that he ducked,saved you buying a new camera  . :lol: :lol:

Sorry Chalky,but I couldn't resist it. :nono:

He also had Trentham Junction in BRM and on a "TeleRail"  DVD called Model Rail  - Creative Modelling. A very good modeller by anybody's standards.

Kind Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579

how did it get on with the left-handed electricity?(!)

We were very careful to protect my locos from any dodgy controllers looking for multiple partners. My stock has had a sheltered upbringing, fed only on wholesome electricity in decently separated sections on the layout. It is not appropriate to expose it to the promiscuous goings-on that are encouraged by the permissive nature of DCC.

• RMweb Premium

Having seen these beautiful GN coaches and some stuff done recently by Gilbert and TW, I hardly dare admit to starting my first plastic donor/etched sides conversion. However as it is not a GN/LNER/ER coach then it doesn't really matter anyway and I can't post pics here; (sighs of relief I hear or is that gasps of horror?)

So what you say? Well, it was the inspirational hacking and sticking of the daring duo that made me do it........ honest guv.

Finally, are there not some exceptional modellers on this Forum. Superb stuff lads and lasses.

Arrrrrrrr.....

• RMweb Premium

Having seen these beautiful GN coaches and some stuff done recently by Gilbert and TW, I hardly dare admit to starting my first plastic donor/etched sides conversion. However as it is not a GN/LNER/ER coach then it doesn't really matter anyway and I can't post pics here; (sighs of relief I hear or is that gasps of horror?)

So what you say? Well, it was the inspirational hacking and sticking of the daring duo that made me do it........ honest guv.

Finally, are there not some exceptional modellers on this Forum. Superb stuff lads and lasses.

Arrrrrrrr.....

Come on Mallard - don't be shy - all you need to do is click 'reply with attachments...'

Well I obviously took the wrong drugs today as my delight upon starting my first plastic thing conversion was seemingly a complete illusion. Apparently the Diagram I chose was 'unusual' (think that's polite for a bit of a one off). The sides are fine, it was this Diagram coach  that was 'odd' and therefore not really the thing to do at all; pah. So, sorry, there will be no pics/attachments/free gifts. Actually there may be a free gift - the Comet sides!!!!!

Suppose that'll teach me that I should have done a Thompson conversion first.

Back to the ******* drawing board.

P

• RMweb Premium

After the time travelling excitement of Sunday, yesterday saw another  trip to Lincolnshire, and a return to the present day, as TW patiently supervised my attempts to form the interior of this carriage.

post-98-0-95700900-1403624172_thumb.jpg

This was built from the Comet kit by our very own Duck (see the post above), and I was supposed to finish it off. For a variety of reasons that has taken longer than planned, but the interior has now been made and fitted, which of course you can't see in this shot, with the roof temporarily in place. I've only just finished painting the tables, and didn't want to risk too much disturbance. Tony reckons I did about 40% of the work, which is pretty good for me. One of the next conversions will be another of these Dia 186 TSO's, using Comet sides but otherwise a Hornby donor. It will be interesting indeed to put the two side by side when finished, and to see how much better the complete kit build looks. This is a lovely job by Phil in its own right, and I'm sure he too will be wanting to see the difference between this and hacked about Hornby.

Tony ran trains containing the conversions he has done for his own use, and from any distance it really is difficult to distinguish them from complete kit builds. The two standard Hornby offerings in one of his sets on the other hand stood out immediately, even though they have been carefully weathered to disguise their deficiencies. We are both becoming ever more convinced that this is the way to go, given the economies of both time and cost involved. The sticking point may well be cutting the sides off Hornby all door stock and replacing it with similar etched sides, given the number which would need to be done. We shall see.

• Like 4