Peterborough North

great northern

When the wickets in the West Indies were unplayable because of the complete lack of any form of natural covering for the rollers to work on, and dangerous because they had cracks that would swallow a Duke and spit it out in random directions, the authorities, in thinly disguised desperation, tried a surface of cork matting.

When asked by an interviewer whether he preferred grass or cork matting, Botham replied that he couldn't comment because he'd never smoked cork matting.

Allegedly.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Hi Gilbert

Just surmising, but, One of the reasons why that train wasn't advertised as going to KX is that there could have been faster trains to the Cross which overtook it on the way, so its intermediate stops would have been advertised but not its final destination.

Just started reading this thread from the beginning again, both the layout and the thread have come a long way.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Just surmising, but, One of the reasons why that train wasn't advertised as going to KX is that there could have been faster trains to the Cross which overtook it on the way, so its intermediate stops would have been advertised but not its final destination.

Just started reading this thread from the beginning again, both the layout and the thread have come a long way.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Good to hear from you. I've now done what I should have done from the beginning, and investigated this thoroughly. The train actually ran non stop from Peterborough - 90 minutes to KX which wasn't all that slow back then.What's more, it would have been on the Up fast all the way, as it occupied a path some 15 minutes after the Up Elizabethan, and 17 minutes before the next express, a Hull service. By the time it got to KX it would be, if running to time, 23 minutes behind the Lizzy, but still 10 minutes in front of the Hull. An average speed of just over 50mph wouldn't unduly tax an Immingham B1 I think, or even the K3 I substituted.

• Like 1

The return duty is shown as the 11.08 am SO KX - Skegness,

Was this the train that used to run specifically to take holidaymakers to Butlins? 'Butlins Express' I think it was called - I've got a photo of it somewhere but can't remember which book it's in!  If so, was the same rake used to take those people who had finished their week or two by the sea back home? If that was indeed the case, I imagine there must have been a SuO working the following day in order to get the coaches back to Grimsby ready for their regular weekday working.

It all gets very complicated!

• RMweb Premium

Was this the train that used to run specifically to take holidaymakers to Butlins? 'Butlins Express' I think it was called - I've got a photo of it somewhere but can't remember which book it's in!  If so, was the same rake used to take those people who had finished their week or two by the sea back home? If that was indeed the case, I imagine there must have been a SuO working the following day in order to get the coaches back to Grimsby ready for their regular weekday working.

It all gets very complicated!

It does indeed Rob. There were four trains to Skegness from KX on summer Saturdays in 1958, one of which did indeed have the, I think unofficial, title- Butlins Express. The name does not appear in the public timetable, but a headboard was carried.  I have a photo which shows that, but can't post it - copyright issues.

The candidates are:-

7.50 am ex KX . No catering cars, and next duty to Derby or Bulwell.

8.08 am. RMB in this one, return working 1215pm same day. Formed of 4.40pm FO Doncaster-KX.

1108am  No catering, return working 9.34am following Saturday.

1208pm. Sometimes spare on arrival at Skegness, so unlikely to be the one I think.

My money would be on the 8.08am, as it had catering facilities, albeit basic, arrived Skeggy at lunchtime, had a quick turn round, and got those poor sods who had just spent a freezing soggy and windswept week there back to London by teatime. Unless anyone out there knows different of course?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

It does indeed Rob. There were four trains to Skegness from KX on summer Saturdays in 1958, one of which did indeed have the, I think unofficial, title- Butlins Express. The name does not appear in the public timetable, but a headboard was carried.  I have a photo which shows that, but can't post it - copyright issues.

8.08 am. RMB in this one, return working 1215pm same day. Formed of 4.40pm FO Doncaster-KX.

1208pm. Sometimes spare on arrival at Skegness, so unlikely to be the one I think.

My money would be on the 8.08am, as it had catering facilities, albeit basic, arrived Skeggy at lunchtime, had a quick turn round, and got those poor sods who had just spent a freezing soggy and windswept week there back to London by teatime. Unless anyone out there knows different of course?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

I beg to differ with the Unofficial title, although you may of course be correct "My Learned Friend".  

A Colour-Rail slide I have in my collection BRE699 shows Kings Cross 34A B1 class 61179 hauling the Southbound "Butlins Express" on the Hadley Wood/Ganwick stretch of the ECML   It carries a headboard "Butlins Express" with a cream background,but however it is not clear as to the construction of said headboard. It may be cast metal or thick wood, I have no means of telling.  I do seem to remember seeing the title on the sign at the ticket barrier as well,but then that would suit my opinion and may be just a figment of my imagination or a memory issue,again.

Kindest Regards,Derek.

• Like 1

I think my money would be on that one too Gilbert. Mind you, getting to Kings Cross at that time of the morning, after you've got the kids up, made sure that you've got everything with you that you're going to need for a week at the coast, and remembered to make sure that you've secured the house, left a key with a neighbour and whatever would be a bit of a challenge. I guess that was what people had to endure in those days in order to have a week of unpredictable weather at the seaside!

• Like 1

I think my money would be on that one too Gilbert. Mind you, getting to Kings Cross at that time of the morning, after you've got the kids up, made sure that you've got everything with you that you're going to need for a week at the coast, and remembered to make sure that you've secured the house, left a key with a neighbour and whatever would be a bit of a challenge. I guess that was what people had to endure in those days in order to have a week of unpredictable weather at the seaside!

Nothing unpredictable about Skeggy weather,it was bound to rain Cats & Dogs for at least two days out of the week if you were lucky,mind

• Like 1

attachicon.gifB1sSkeg.jpg

I hope Mac is happy for this lovely last photo to be shared here. Please respect the Copyright.

Happy days.

P

I love the added steam, smoke and moody sky effect in the colour shot.....They make the model look so realistic..................................... :smoke:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I fear that rose tinted spectacles have crept in to the Skeggy discussion. Only two rainy days a week? My recollection is day after day of an East coast speciality, a very fine, almost invisible drizzle, which nevertheless could soak the unwary or unprepared to the skin in a very short time. That was coupled with a maximum temperature of about 50f, and a biting Easterly wind. Bracing indeed.

And what if the rain did stop for a while. Then you go looking for the sea, which at low tide is rather a long way out. At least when it was out you could see and avoid Skeggy's other speciality, banks of clay scattered about in the sand, unpleasant both to look at and to step in, which is what you always did when the tide was in. I'd better stop now, or the Skegness Tourist Board will be sending the boys round.

• RMweb Premium

I love the added steam, smoke and moody sky effect in the colour shot.....They make the model look so realistic..................................... :smoke:

Careful Coach, you'll be getting ideas for a new another layout........

P

I fear that rose tinted spectacles have crept in to the Skeggy discussion. Only two rainy days a week? My recollection is day after day of an East coast speciality, a very fine, almost invisible drizzle, which nevertheless could soak the unwary or unprepared to the skin in a very short time. That was coupled with a maximum temperature of about 50f, and a biting Easterly wind. Bracing indeed.

And what if the rain did stop for a while. Then you go looking for the sea, which at low tide is rather a long way out. At least when it was out you could see and avoid Skeggy's other speciality, banks of clay scattered about in the sand, unpleasant both to look at and to step in, which is what you always did when the tide was in. I'd better stop now, or the Skegness Tourist Board will be sending the boys round.

Exactly Gilbert, hence only two days.    :nono:      As I recollect  M'Lord !  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

If you will insist on going in July.

I've only been once - just a short visit to photograph signals and the weather was excellent (for photography, so no strong sunlight castings awkward shadows but just right to 'light' the subjects).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I visited in my youth for a week in August; we came to the conclusion that the east wind was so strong it was picking up the spray off the sea and blasting the town with it, hence the continuous 'invisible drizzle' you refer to...might explain the tide being so far out; most of the water ended up on land :jester:

David

Re that GNR Atlantic at Skeggy, I wonder if the footplate crew worked on it with a sense of pride and nostalgia, or, more likely, a case of "Oh Feck, it's gonna be one of those shifts...."  :locomotive: 

For some odd reason, I am finding myself more interested in this loco than some that are more appropriate for my layout!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1