Peterborough North

great northern

As a med student and future doctor, I cant agree with Coachmans statement more, the mind needs to be kept active to keep it healthy and there is plenty of evidence to support that.

At the same time I also support and understand Phil's comments, and agree one hundred percent. Recently I have seen a number of people at the precipice of retirement sadly fall of the perch with next to no warning. One of them was extremely fit and mentally active and 6 months later was under the ground. Life is too short when you get old to be doing something that isn't enjoyable.

If you have work at 80 odd or something that you love doing and it makes you happy, then keep doing it. However if its not working for you then find something else to do, just keep active, be it join a club or group or find a hobby ( not that we have any problems on here ;)). The distinction that I wanted to make is that coachman's work isn't really work as he enjoys it, the fact that there may or may not be pay as a result is irrelevant as long as he is happy and enjoys it.

Also can we please have more air shots, Its fantastic to see it in its entirety. (Something that I think many of the modern railway mags seem to have forgotten)

• RMweb Premium

Magnificent Building.

On another note, can someone get Andy to PIN the sale topic at the top for a while please.

He is, or was earlier, on top of a hill in Oxfordshire. Who would have believed even a few years ago that I would be able to talk to him in those circumstances. Anyway, he will indeed pin the sale topic when he gets back, and I think he may be going to put a header on the main forum page to draw attention to it as well.

• Like 1

He is, or was earlier, on top of a hill in Oxfordshire. Who would have believed even a few years ago that I would be able to talk to him in those circumstances. Anyway, he will indeed pin the sale topic when he gets back, and I think he may be going to put a header on the main forum page to draw attention to it as well.

I had PM'd him anyway, Cheers.

Bodge

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to buy something, but I'm kinda of short of money at the moment. Good luck with the sale though

Hi Will,

I suggest you wait till we have opened all the boxes, as I reckon there is bound to be something you could have as a memento, and which you can afford. I'll go further than that actually - I'll make sure that there is something, because I know that Dave would want me to do that for a lad of your age just getting started in the hobby. Please just be patient for a little while.

• Like 2

Hi Will,

I suggest you wait till we have opened all the boxes, as I reckon there is bound to be something you could have as a memento, and which you can afford. I'll go further than that actually - I'll make sure that there is something, because I know that Dave would want me to do that for a lad of your age just getting started in the hobby. Please just be patient for a little while.

I should have more money soon thanks to birthday and article writing, but unfortunately there's a lot of ER models coming out. Don't worry, I'll be patient and thank you very much for the offer. If I get in touch again in about a month I should be able to afford a loco, if there's still any going.

Thanks again

Will

• Like 1

"Sorry Gilbert, I'll have to call you back" were the words as we were halfway through a conversation as the call was about to get drowned out.

Voyager.jpg

As East Kirkby's '3 Lancasters' event turned into 1 Lancaster we headed to Brize Norton (amongst some railway photography missions) to see various NATO aircraft arriving ahead of the NATO summit (information for which was also gleaned by the wonders of modern technology). Unfortunately I fouled up the money shot of a Polish Mig29 directly overhead!

Mig2.jpg

Air Force One is due to arrive today and if anything disastrous happens I can expect a knock on the door from the men in black as my vehicle details were noted on a 'lets have a look' mission to Fairford. ;)

I can't tell you where else I went as that may be part of a 'where was I?' puzzler later on.

• Like 8

I hear that the Welsh got worried yesterday due to the plethora of “foreign” choppers and even “Ospreys” overhead. Fairford should be interesting.

Can you start a standalone thread, Andy?

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

"Sorry Gilbert, I'll have to call you back" were the words as we were halfway through a conversation as the call was about to get drowned out.

attachicon.gifVoyager.jpg

As East Kirkby's '3 Lancasters' event turned into 1 Lancaster we headed to Brize Norton (amongst some railway photography missions) to see various NATO aircraft arriving ahead of the NATO summit (information for which was also gleaned by the wonders of modern technology). Unfortunately I fouled up the money shot of a Polish Mig29 directly overhead!

attachicon.gifMig2.jpg

Air Force One is due to arrive today and if anything disastrous happens I can expect a knock on the door from the men in black as my vehicle details were noted on a 'lets have a look' mission to Fairford. ;)

I can't tell you where else I went as that may be part of a 'where was I?' puzzler later on.

Hi Andy

That's a great photo of the Mig29 really sharp.

Did you photoshop the exhaust on, only joking.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Wow, it has been a while since I dropped by!

The new stock is looking fantastic, and is a credit to both Tony and yourself with respects to the building of the models. Your photography still makes me feel like I've been taken half a world away and half a century ago, and for that I applaud you. It really does at times look like you've gone lineside with a box brownie/camera of choice!

Edit:I failed to mention that the shots of the A4s lined up is quite lovely. A 1958 spotters dream!

Further Edit: Also, congrats on reaching 250 pages of this fantastic layout

Edited by 69843
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sensible

Not often.....but I cannot confirm nor deny I'm originally from South Shields.  Man. oops.........

The Jungle is flats now - posh too.

I'd love to have something from Dave too (struggling to get the thread back....I cannae hold her cap'n....) if there is something within my meagre budget, I'll wait and see what develops.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very little has been happening at PN lately, as my attention has been elsewhere. I did have a visit from our duck the other day though, and we spent a happy hour or two running some trains, nearly all of which ran nice and smoothly when asked.

For some days now, a box has sat in my railway room, but I haven't felt the time was right to unpack it. Somehow though, today I just feel differently, so I shall share with you a couple of the contents. First though, a bit of background information. Back in late 2012, I decided to get my mate Dave Shakespeare a layout warming/ Christmas present. It wasn't something we were in the habit of doing, but having seen the lovely new house completed, and the work in the railway room already started, it seemed like a good idea. So, I acquired a Hornby B1, and asked Tim Easter to transform it into a down at heel early 60's Wakefield loco, which he duly did. Unfortunately it had been considerably over oiled, and Tim found out just before he was due to deliver it that the oil had soaked through and caused patches on the boiler. Somehow, he managed to put it right, and four days before Christmas I was able to present it to Dave. It was the only time in our long friendship that I saw him lost for words! He soon recovered though, and asked if he could see it running, which we did. Typically, he sent Tim a lovely e-mail of thanks.

Of course within a month came the dreadful diagnosis, and Dave's request to me to dispose of the whole of his railway collection. He asked me though to keep the B1, and run it on PN, but not to change its identity. He also insisted that I take a complete train, so I came home with a WD and loaded minerals too. Later in the year though, when things looked so promising, I took it all back to him - never was there a happier task. In the end though, the B1 has come back to me. Julie kindly told me to take whatever I wanted as well, saying that Dave would like to think that his stock was on PN. As you will see, I did take rather more, but despite Julie's refusing to accept payment, I shall donate to Cancer Research as so many of you have so generously done.

post-98-0-94309300-1410712579_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-71263300-1410712602_thumb.jpg

On his visits to PN, Dave invariably commented on the fact that a particular A4 was never to be seen. He was four years younger than me, and so it was in the early 60's that he saw steam. He remembered seeing the occasional A4, though he claimed it was always the same ones. One of them was 60017 Silver Fox, and another what he always referred to as "Mucky Duck". I can't find that one in my combined volume for some reason, but I'm sure he wasn't referring in derogatory terms to one of the most frequent visitors to these pages. Anyway, Dave had Silver Fox, and now he no longer needs her, she has also come to grace PN.

post-98-0-46879000-1410712988_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Gilbert

That was a deeply moving story - I think Dave was lucky to have such a close friend as you, and I suspect that once the adrenaline of Tetleys Mills has passed you'll deeply miss him.

Thank you for sharing the story and pics with us, The B1 has found a new home and you'll never run her without thinking of your dear friend, who inspired so many of us modellers.

Peter

Thankyou, too, for posting that.  I'm glad, as it were, to see that the aforementioned oil problem hasn't reappeared, going on what I can see in the pictures.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, it was a great pleasure to do that B1 for Dave, even if he sadly never got a chance to see it stretching its legs on the new layout.

Best,

• Like 6

Nice to see you back in harness Gilbert. I know you've been busy with other matters recently but I, for one, have missed regular updates on PN. I was speaking to 600067 the other day who told me that you seemed very down at Dave's funeral. I hope you are feeling more like your old self now.

Get out on that golf course, it'll do you the world of good!

• RMweb Gold

Such a great way to remember Dave there Gilbert, especially good that it is a Wakefield engine!  I hadn't realised that the B1s were so over oiled as I had a similar problem with one of mine that I weathered and oil patches appeared on it.  I haven't tried to clean it off but if Tim was able to get it to rights again, there may be hope.

I'm sure that those who will have some of the locos and rollingstock will find it a fitting way to remember Dave and his modelling by the occasional run, I think perhaps a policeman at the end of the platform keeping an eye on the spotting lads may ensure Dave is still watching.

Cheers
Tony

...I think perhaps a policeman at the end of the platform keeping an eye on the spotting lads may ensure Dave is still watching.

Cheers

Tony

Great idea :good:

Glad to see Dave's stock living on at PN, GN. We'll all have a lovely reminder whenever you post a scene with one of his locos featuring.

(Phew - managed to get a post in whilst the post numbers were running through the LMS Duchesses :D )

• Like 2