Peterborough North

great northern

I tried a live rotation until the part to be cropped was vertical, and then rotated it back again.

However, the double rotation upsets the picture content on my cheap and nasty graphics package, but it is a start.

Maybe someone with a degree in Photoshop techniques could try something similar with that software?

post-4474-0-42463100-1418659514_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I used to teach Photoshop and if you have the full version of Phototshop then there is a version of the Selection Tool that is the Polygon Lasso Tool and you can select just the baseboard edge with that. When I'm back at my computer I'll try and show you on a screen grab.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Simon

That monochrome is a beauty Andy.

Re. those coaches behind the A3, I have got so used to looking at some Hornby's in recent weeks that Gilberts tumblehome looks wrong...! :mosking:

On the topic of the baseboard edge, why not go freelance there and decorate the edge as if it were a diorama with a stone/brick wall. The wall would be a low enough not to hide loco wheels but it would be deep enough at the very front to fill a scene...

post-6680-0-37579000-1418666369.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 8

Larry you make a good point - how much of what we expect to see is conditioned by what we are used to?

I've been reading lots about the Waverley Route and seen things like an A4 hauling a train of car carriers, piloted by a Black 5, and a Duchess heading into Waverley from the east with six up - things that would get most modellers tut tutting at a show, but prove there really is a prototype for everything

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert, I believe you use Paint.NET?

There is a lasso selection tool in that, which can be used to cut the unwanted bits away:

post-17302-0-52567300-1418666235.jpg

and here's what you can do:

post-17302-0-01907000-1418666235_thumb.jpg

As a suggestion, could you add a piece of ballasted track to represent the Midland lines, that you can stick on the front edge for photographic purposes?

Al

2 things?

I have a recent link to a free (legal) download of Photoshop if you need it. Just need to search for it.

As for struggling with a camera on the far side? Is it possible to put a large mirror there, photograph that, then reverse it Photoshop? Just a crazy thought, but maybe?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Premium

So, having kept to my resolution to get on with things today - four lamps drilled out - I felt I had earned a break. First train due was the Holme pick up, no doubt mainly consisting of returning empties from the Ramsey branch. It was routed via the Down slow, which has proved to be a difficult location so far as photograpy is concerned. I do like to show you some different views occasionally though, so I've done some experimenting. Apologies in advance, as some of these aren't up to much.

attachicon.gifJ6 2.jpg

This one is easy enough, though I could have made sure the signal box was properly seated.

attachicon.gifJ6 5.jpg

But what I wanted was to get a view like this. This involves putting the camera on the tripod, then squeezing the whole thing onto the window sill, and contorting myself to be able to see the view finder, so I'm not surprised that it isn't sharp. I wanted to crop it to get rid of the edge of the baseboard, but could find no way of doing it, as the tool would not allow me to crop at an angle. if any of you clever people out there can sort it, and tell me how, I'd be very grateful. The last few I haven't bothered to photoshop, as they aren't worth it, but you can see what I'm trying to achieve. If it isn't possible, I'll stop wasting time on it, but I suspect there may be a way round it.

attachicon.gifJ6 3.jpg

Shame, as I quite like this as a composition.

attachicon.gifJ6 7.jpg

And an unsuccesful crop....of this.

attachicon.gifJ6 8.jpg

The Midland lines should be where my world ends, and most of the time this view wouldn't have been available anyway, as the sidings immediately to the right of the Down slow were usually full of wagons.

Hi Gilbert

I am very concerned with this last set of photos, someone has photoshopped your bus on the bridge away :O :o :O :o

• RMweb Premium

Nice pictures ,looks like a horrible drop in the event of a derailment ?

There is a lip on the fascia board, which should stop most things, and as that road is just dead straight with virtually no point work, there is little reason for anything to come off. Nothing has hit the floor in over three years anyway. It is always a possibility, isn't it? We all build baseboards well off the floor, so anything that takes a dive isn't going to come out of it very well. The fiddle yard side has a much higher fascia, as that is where the risk really occurs, stray brushes of clothing or flying elbows are much more likely in the operating well. I didn't want to put anything high at the back, as the view of the layout from that side is actually very good.

There is a lip on the fascia board, which should stop most things, and as that road is just dead straight with virtually no point work, there is little reason for anything to come off. Nothing has hit the floor in over three years anyway. It is always a possibility, isn't it? We all build baseboards well off the floor, so anything that takes a dive isn't going to come out of it very well. The fiddle yard side has a much higher fascia, as that is where the risk really occurs, stray brushes of clothing or flying elbows are much more likely in the operating well. I didn't want to put anything high at the back, as the view of the layout from that side is actually very good.

I would have a small net something like used on table tennis tables. It could simply be held in place by some hooks for easy removal. 

• RMweb Premium

I have become comfortably numb,,,,,,, This shouldn't stop me catching up a bit though. Thanks to all who posted amended photos, and suggested ways of deailng with the problem. I have a couple of difficulties to deal with. First one is that I don't feel comfortable adding anything that was not there at PN in 1958, other than a sky. What should be there is just a succession of lines, two very long sidings, and then the Up and Down Midland lines. I would love to have included those, but to do so I would have had to lose access to the windows, and to the rear of the layout. I think that anyone who has visited will attest to the fact that the view from over there is probably better than it is from the operating well.

As I said yesterday, those Midland sidings were usually full of goods stock. which would have made an excellent back drop for the whole thing, and I have considered whether there could be a way of adding them, either permanently or temporarily. It's a bit of a squeeze back there though, for one thing, and even more significantly, it would have to be a very long stretch of track, a good 20ft or more. The cost of a very large number of wagons just to become a static exhibit is prohibitive. I've just been and done some measuring. If I added a four inch extension to put in two sidings, I would then have just six inches between there and two protruding radiators, and only ten inches to the window sills. Movement would become very difficult - impossible for anyone who is a bit chubby :)  - and would also increase the chances of stock being knocked and taking that plunge to the floor.  That seems to rule the idea of an extension out, whether temporary or permanent.

So, a bit of digital manipulation would seem to be the only way forward. I did get Photoshop for a trial period, but it totally baffled me, so in the end I went for Paint.Net, as Al correctly surmises. Even with that, I only know the basics, so the tip regarding the lassoo thingy was very helpful, and I shall try it. In the end though, it all comes down to a lot of contortions and work,and I'm not at all sure that the end result justifies the labour involved. I may give it another go, but probably not till the sun is a lot higher in the sky, when the light differences will be less challenging. As always, you've given me great support, and it is much appreciated. What's more, I've just drunk a cup of tea without dribbling. :smile_mini2:

• RMweb Premium

I would have a small net something like used on table tennis tables. It could simply be held in place by some hooks for easy removal. 

It would have to be 20ft long though Mick. As nothing has dived yet, I shall leave things as they are. If something expensive does occur, I shall have to think again. The proportion of trains which uses the Down slow isn't great, so the risks aren't that big,(I hope).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I am very concerned with this last set of photos, someone has photoshopped your bus on the bridge away :O :o :O :o

The traffic jam which had kept it in the same place for months finally cleared, and off it went..... too late for the poor passengers though, they all expired through lack of food and drink ages ago. That of course is why you couldn't see any of them. They were all on the floor. :sad_mini2:

I have become comfortably numb,,,,,,, This shouldn't stop me catching up a bit though. Thanks to all who posted amended photos, and suggested ways of deailng with the problem. I have a couple of difficulties to deal with. First one is that I don't feel comfortable adding anything that was not there at PN in 1958, other than a sky. What should be there is just a succession of lines, two very long sidings, and then the Up and Down Midland lines. I would love to have included those, but to do so I would have had to lose access to the windows, and to the rear of the layout. I think that anyone who has visited will attest to the fact that the view from over there is probably better than it is from the operating well.

As I said yesterday, those Midland sidings were usually full of goods stock. which would have made an excellent back drop for the whole thing, and I have considered whether there could be a way of adding them, either permanently or temporarily. It's a bit of a squeeze back there though, for one thing, and even more significantly, it would have to be a very long stretch of track, a good 20ft or more. The cost of a very large number of wagons just to become a static exhibit is prohibitive. I've just been and done some measuring. If I added a four inch extension to put in two sidings, I would then have just six inches between there and two protruding radiators, and only ten inches to the window sills. Movement would become very difficult - impossible for anyone who is a bit chubby :)  - and would also increase the chances of stock being knocked and taking that plunge to the floor.  That seems to rule the idea of an extension out, whether temporary or permanent.

So, a bit of digital manipulation would seem to be the only way forward. I did get Photoshop for a trial period, but it totally baffled me, so in the end I went for Paint.Net, as Al correctly surmises. Even with that, I only know the basics, so the tip regarding the lassoo thingy was very helpful, and I shall try it. In the end though, it all comes down to a lot of contortions and work,and I'm not at all sure that the end result justifies the labour involved. I may give it another go, but probably not till the sun is a lot higher in the sky, when the light differences will be less challenging. As always, you've given me great support, and it is much appreciated. What's more, I've just drunk a cup of tea without dribbling. :smile_mini2:

I wonder what a fixed backscene just the height of a van would look like with loads of wagons printed on it.

Sounds like you've a trip to the dentist, not the most enjoyable of places to visit :scared:

• Like 1