Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Splendid layout Gilbert.  Not sure whether I will manage to read all 280 pages, but I'm doing my best to catch up.

All the best,

Dave.

Thanks Dave, and welcome. It isn't obligatory to read every page, though one or two people with extraordinary staying power have done so.

Look Gilbert. Get rid of all those green and black steamy things. Scrap the island platform. Put in a couple of through roads, some overhead wiring and there you go. No more sound problems!

Listening to LNERGEs NRM Deltic, to be honest it didn't sound like the Deltics as I remember them. Where was the rattling/tinny sound when the engines started, like someone shaking a box of nuts and bolts? And what about the charcteristic "clag" that always erupted out of the exhaust?

• RMweb Premium

I've decided (again) that A3s are bootiful in the setting of P N. 

Also decided that DCC Sound is a rip off (sorry) - even those diesels (I have hidden away) sound pretty c**p (except for one 37 I have that has a cold start facility that is quite good).

The person that can produce DCC erupting clag will make a fortune. The person that can produce DCC steam exhaust that is JLTRT will become a very wealthy person indeed.

I suspect 'not in my lifetime', maybe never?

The spotter on the Trolly nearest the camera is in my image (at that age); very spooky as I never went to Peterborough Station in 1958. 

Oh yes, almost did some modelling today but got distracted by going in the loft and finding some LNER/ER wagon & van kits that I don't need and trying to identify exactly which coaches I actually possess. Don't think this counts as modelling as such. :beee:

P

Nice shots Mr. Soon-to-be-President!

Does that mean we'l all have to call you Sir?

@Phil. I too had a day in the loft, but a productive one - Waverley's finally got some track lady - see here for update! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73196-from-waverley-shed-to-galashiels/page-8&do=findComment&comment=1756571

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert

Nothing wrong with those shots and hope the ear infection clears up soon, certainly deserves a perseverance icon of some description. The single chimney A3 is a beautiful piece of engineering and something which has yet to grace my layout, but thankfully Mr Hornby is coming to the party for this year to help me rectify that. The three A3s I have really need backdating, but then I have a thing for deflectored Pacifics, so woe is me...

So Mr soon to be President, does this mean more time chasing the white ball this year, or more time at the 19th hole celebrating/commiserating with fellow chasers? Either way, I'm sure you'd be a great choice!

Cheers

Tony

I'm not a golfer, but haven't I heard rumours of some sort of ceremony involving the President's balls?  Or was that just the drugs?

Better brace yourself, Gilbert, although a seasoned good walk spoiler like yourself undoubtedly already knows all about it, I'm sure.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not a golfer, but haven't I heard rumours of some sort of ceremony involving the President's balls?  Or was that just the drugs?

Better brace yourself, Gilbert, although a seasoned good walk spoiler like yourself undoubtedly already knows all about it, I'm sure.

Haven't heard that one Jonathan. My turn isn't till next year, and even then it is no more than an honorary title. Think young Mr Grace - just wave the walking stick, and say "You've all done very well".

A couple of years ago, I had to see a doctor, and got a very earnest young locum, who looked at my records and said " Oh, we don't see you very often, do we?"  I observed that was surely a good thing, and was told that at my age I should be checked regularly. He then questioned me about life style and what exercise I do. I mentioned golf, and that I played on average three times a week. "How far does that mean you walk" asked he. "Twelve miles" said I. He didn't ask any more.

I saw some statistics a while back which showed that a fair proportion of people don't walk a quarter a mile a day. :O  No wonder there are so many health problems. I'll keep walking folks, and hitting a golf ball rather more often than I like while so doing. There is another benefit too, by the way, lots of golf course are situated in lovely places, and there is always the 19th hole for consolation, or ocasionally celebration.

• Like 2

Gilbert you're so right on the walking front.

When I read the post-op manual for my knee operation it set the target that at six weeks I should be able to walk for a half mile each day. I originally laughed at that on the basis that I normally do two miles a day walking the dog. In fairness the increasing pain up to the op itself meant I hadn't taken pup out for a couple of months before it.

Then I tried doing it with a stiff knee and found that it was a whole different train of wagons! I've only just managed to achieve two fifths  of a mile and then I have to take the following day off, and the op was six weeks ago tomorrow!

The problem is that it is just too easy to get out of the habit of walkinh, or indeed any regular exercise, especially if one's job is at a desk. Most people's longest experience of a walk comes when they go Christmas Shopping in their local mall.

• RMweb Premium

Most people's longest experience of a walk comes when they go Christmas Shopping in their local mall.

Even less for those of us who order everything online...!!

All this talk of exercise and Doctor's advice is sending me on a nervous guilt-trip - better scrape the year-old mud off my walking shoes and get back out there... :yes:

Latest pics look amazing Gilbert; I'm afraid I don't know much about correct lighting/exposure etc - your models seem to look great whatever the camera is up to... :sungum:

David

I went to a DCC conference at Pecorama a few years back, and they had a demonstration layout with 7mm diesels which the chaps not only had DCC sound in, but also coordinated CLAG...I asked them what it actually was, and they admitted they added a drop or two of real diesel to the smoke oil in the smoke generators!  I tell you what, it looked good, and smelt "right"...but it was also asphyxiating!  Not a great idea in a confined space!  Probably somebody somewhere has a link to it or its on t'web.

• RMweb Premium

That's the difficulty in trying to recreate outdoor aromas indoors; too many 'atmospheric' factors to consider ie. heat from the sun, humidity, strength of the prevailing breeze, nearness to other smells like factories, bakeries, lineside plants etc...  My own memories of the smell given off by the Class 40's at Prestatyn Station in the Summer of '76 would be impossible to replicate on a layout...

David

• RMweb Premium

Whilst we are talking aroma and diesels (off topic really) who is up for the scent of a passing HST?

And I must gety the walking boots AND trainers out this year - you lot are really making me feel guilty. Good job there are some decent paths alongside the ECML and Nene Valley Railways around here.

Bet it wasn't as smoky as this rather later example - who'd want to reproduce that in 00?

Looking at the prototype Deltic video the whole of Peterborough station is enveloped in smog. I was thinking as i watched it there would be no fun in trying to recreate all of the 'atmosphere'...

Edited by LNERGE

Oh dear; one engine is deffo poorly.

P

One of my enduring memories of these loco's is seeing flames coming out of the exhausts. Sitting around not doing much at the Cross oil would carry over into the exhaust. Once they got going this oil would catch fire. I believe it was official practice to keep going, flat out until it burnt itself out. Hitchin seems to have been a good place to see it.

How not to deal with it at 8:30..

• Like 2