Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget that there were railway cottages north of Mayors Walk/Spittal Bridge on the eastern side of the railway almost as far as Rhubarb Bridge. The western side I'm not so sure about, but oldmaps website seems to confirm that there was some residential development in the 1950's between Spittal Bridge and Westwood Bridge where the Westwood Works would have dominated the skyline. The main view through Spittals is of the extensive yard there in the 1950's though.

I can't find a photo which I have permission to reproduce and which was taken from the North end of Platform 2 Richard, but would you agree that the Baker Perkins factory building is very prominent indeed behind Spital Bridge on the left hand side?  Also on the left in the background is a long row of what look like quite up market houses. Would that be Midland Road? And then of course in 1958 Spital Bridge shed and coaling tower would be very visible closer to the lines. I'd like to include those, but I'm not sure how I can get suitable photos and then reproduce them at the right size.

• RMweb Gold

Great to see the A2/2 coming slowly into the station Gilbert, I agree with Robert, it really does convey the essence and business of a working station.  To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about the backscene, it would only distract the eye when looking at a scene like those above. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

One thing about this thread - it has given me a quite different view of Peterborough. I first came there in the late 1970s when it was basically a vast, chaotic building site, its historic town centre either in terminal decline or demolished for the Queensgate, its sprawling estates half empty and half filling with London overspill tenants who were mostly unemployable in the declining local industries.

After nearly forty years and a family I've only had one local job, and that was agency work installing escalators in London Underground for Baker Perkins' now-closed Special Projects Division. How typical of the British management style that having built a high-tech division from nothing, they simply sold it to the Finns and sacked everyone.

The area N and E of the Bourges Boulevard is now dominated by a huge mosque, and you can walk the streets and hear no English spoken as far as Lincoln Road and beyond.

I've come to agree with the common view that its location dictates its importance, but it's no great mystery why it isn't the county town for any surrounding area; you can't love the place and my children have left or are leaving for opportunities elsewhere.

Great to see the A2/2 coming slowly into the station Gilbert, I agree with Robert, it really does convey the essence and business of a working station.  To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about the backscene, it would only distract the eye when looking at a scene like those above. 

Cheers

Tony

Indeed.

I'd feel that the bridge abutments ending in mid-air are intrusive in the photos, as are/were the blank spaces under the bridges; but other than that, a generic "period urban" backscene with key features like the Cathedral indicated without, perhaps, too much concern for their exact position would suit the general scene very well.

People recognise places by their key features. Kings College Cambridge is recognisable worldwide, but it's possible to live in the town for years and never see it; you'd think that every Londoner passed over London Bridge, through Trafalgar Square or over the Tower Bridge several times a day to judge from films, or in a run-down Edwardian garden square to judge by the TV, and neither is remotely true.

• RMweb Premium

I can't find a photo which I have permission to reproduce and which was taken from the North end of Platform 2 Richard, but would you agree that the Baker Perkins factory building is very prominent indeed behind Spital Bridge on the left hand side?  Also on the left in the background is a long row of what look like quite up market houses. Would that be Midland Road? And then of course in 1958 Spital Bridge shed and coaling tower would be very visible closer to the lines. I'd like to include those, but I'm not sure how I can get suitable photos and then reproduce them at the right size.

Yes, Baker Perkins would have really stood out. Midland Road houses have changed a lot since the 50's I suspect but would have been quite posh even then.

Of course, alongside the station was the bakery and dairy. I'm not sure but before they disappeared it looked as if they might have had rail access at one time. That, is, of course, off scene for your rendition of the area.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning and apologies for changing the subject on here. 

I am giving up for the day after this as I am fed up with trying to sort bloomin model railway stuff out. I'm going to do some work on the allotment!

Anyhow, before I go I would ask if I may just post this question/ramble here as no one seems to read the Kitbuilding thread!

Re the Gresley Triplet 1928 set:

"I've just been rereading the Isinglass notes for about the 50th time and I notice that the 1928 build Corridor side windows on the Kitchen Car  should not have ventilators and were 3' deep. I think the Comet sides vents need cutting out and if so........... a huge expletive will be bellowed around this part of 36E!

I've also noted, having fitted cosmetic conduits, (sound posh that), that my 1st and 3rd roof vents are in the wrong place for the '28 builds with roof lighting conduits. The Comet diagram showing the position of these is incorrect I believe? If not, I'm a tw*t!

They (Comet drawings) also do not show roof grab handles on the Kitchen Car......Isinglass does.

Were these grabs removed for safety purposes before '58?

Now, do I do as Tony and G King (if his is a 28 build?) have done (no KC roof grab rails and vents on the KC Corridor side windows)........ or do I go with the Isinglass notes?

This lack of info really is annoying and it would be great if someone (please, just one little someone) can tell me the answer!

Many thanks, and have a good day ya all!

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Regarding Baker Perkins and photographs, try looking for the derailed 60700 which happenned alongside. I know I've seen some. It might be possible to then draw something up from these pictures?

For nearly 20 years beginning in the early 80s, I was working on the local Police radio systems. There was a base station located at the very top of the BP liftshaft, at the railway end. Lovely view from up there. It was at one time the tallest building in Pb apparently.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Indeed.

I'd feel that the bridge abutments ending in mid-air are intrusive in the photos, as are/were the blank spaces under the bridges; but other than that, a generic "period urban" backscene with key features like the Cathedral indicated without, perhaps, too much concern for their exact position would suit the general scene very well.

People recognise places by their key features. Kings College Cambridge is recognisable worldwide, but it's possible to live in the town for years and never see it; you'd think that every Londoner passed over London Bridge, through Trafalgar Square or over the Tower Bridge several times a day to judge from films, or in a run-down Edwardian garden square to judge by the TV, and neither is remotely true.

The bridge problem will be corrected when the correct ones are built by Peter Leyland. The ones now in place are "temporary" structures from my old layout. though they have now been in place for five years. :O  I'm working on the basis that what makes the model instantly recognisable to those who knew the place, or who have seen contemporary photos, is the station buildings, and in particular the overall roof. The dog's leg curves are there too, and most of the other infrastructure is or will be there, and in about the right place. Anything else is a bonus, frankly. Andy Y and I have got our thinking caps on, and we shall see what transpires.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning and apologies for changing the subject on here. 

I am giving up for the day after this as I am fed up with trying to sort bloomin model railway stuff out. I'm going to do some work on the allotment!

Anyhow, before I go I would ask if I may just post this question/ramble here as no one seems to read the Kitbuilding thread!

Re the Gresley Triplet 1928 set:

"I've just been rereading the Isinglass notes for about the 50th time and I notice that the 1928 build Corridor side windows on the Kitchen Car  should not have ventilators and were 3' deep. I think the Comet sides vents need cutting out and if so........... a huge expletive will be bellowed around this part of 36E!

I've also noted, having fitted cosmetic conduits, (sound posh that), that my 1st and 3rd roof vents are in the wrong place for the '28 builds with roof lighting conduits. The Comet diagram showing the position of these is incorrect I believe? If not, I'm a tw*t!

They (Comet drawings) also do not show roof grab handles on the Kitchen Car......Isinglass does.

Were these grabs removed for safety purposes before '58?

Now, do I do as Tony and G King (if his is a 28 build?) have done (no KC roof grab rails and vents on the KC Corridor side windows)........ or do I go with the Isinglass notes?

This lack of info really is annoying and it would be great if someone (please, just one little someone) can tell me the answer!

Many thanks, and have a good day ya all!

Phil

You do the best you can with the available information Phil. There is unlikely to be a definitive answer.

Regarding Baker Perkins and photographs, try looking for the derailed 60700 which happenned alongside. I know I've seen some. It might be possible to then draw something up from these pictures?

For nearly 20 years beginning in the early 80s, I was working on the local Police radio systems. There was a base station located at the very top of the BP liftshaft, at the railway end. Lovely view from up there. It was at one time the tallest building in Pb apparently.

Stewart

http://www.westwoodworks.net/HowItWas/OutsideViews/index.htm#6

post-15323-0-43335200-1429639716.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the smoke unit I could replicate that sort of incident on a layout I had once! Especially the displaced bogie. I do hope it does not happen on Gilbert's set up.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Hello Gilbert, not sure if I've posted here before but I've read your thread from the start and have enjoyed seeing the development of your marvellous layout. Seeing as 60034 has made another appearance, I thought it would be appropriate to ask how Tim actually applied the T-cut before the klear, as I have attempted a similar thing with a garter blue A4 which caused white residue to appear, which was very difficult to remove entirely especially on the tender frontplate, however weathering will cover any remains.

Hi, We'd need to ask the man himself about that. I'll ask him If he can have a look on here and give you an answer.

No problem!  There is an issue with T-Cut that means unless you wash off any residue, it will remain in crevices and inside detail areas.  I generally give whatever bodyshell it is a good wash with an old (but clean) toothbrush and leave to dry.  Only when I'm happy that all residue is gone, do I then apply the Klear.  I've learned the hard way too on one of my own models, but it was in an area that was being dirtied up anyway, so it's not visible any longer.

Hope that helps!

Tim

No problem!  There is an issue with T-Cut that means unless you wash off any residue, it will remain in crevices and inside detail areas.  I generally give whatever bodyshell it is a good wash with an old (but clean) toothbrush and leave to dry.  Only when I'm happy that all residue is gone, do I then apply the Klear.  I've learned the hard way too on one of my own models, but it was in an area that was being dirtied up anyway, so it's not visible any longer.

Hope that helps!

Tim

Toothbrush is a good idea, but how much do you put on the cotton bud? As little as possible?

Toothbrush is a good idea, but how much do you put on the cotton bud? As little as possible?

Yes, just enough such that you can see it's on there, but not such that it's either saturated or even dripping!  The same can be said for not having enough on there.  There is a "Goldilocks" amount to use, but it's a bit of a variable really.  Most of what I do starts as a bit of trial and error and then becomes what I'm used to doing for a given item of stock.

For small areas where a good degree of control is needed, a blunt, but not too blunt, cocktail stick works just as well.  I use it to remove factory printing off the inside of glazing, a prime example being the destination boxes of Bachmann DMUs - the Derby Lightweight being one.

Good luck!

Yes, just enough such that you can see it's on there, but not such that it's either saturated or even dripping!  The same can be said for not having enough on there.  There is a "Goldilocks" amount to use, but it's a bit of a variable really.  Most of what I do starts as a bit of trial and error and then becomes what I'm used to doing for a given item of stock.

For small areas where a good degree of control is needed, a blunt, but not too blunt, cocktail stick works just as well.  I use it to remove factory printing off the inside of glazing, a prime example being the destination boxes of Bachmann DMUs - the Derby Lightweight being one.

Good luck!

Thank you ever so much for your help, I hope to finish Commonwealth of Australia (the A4 in question) after my GCSEs, and I'll start my own thread when I do.

Thanks again, Ade.

Thank you ever so much for your help, I hope to finish Commonwealth of Australia (the A4 in question) after my GCSEs, and I'll start my own thread when I do.

Thanks again, Ade.

Thanks Ade and good luck with it.  Will be interested to see how you get on :)

Best,

Tim

How can I ignore these piteous cries for help? Here is a photograph of a train.

K2 2.jpg

A Boston K2 stands in number 4 bay at Peterborough North, which is not, and almost certainly never has been in East Anglia. It will shortly be taking the E.Lincs line to Grimsby, which it seems to be agreed has never been in, or anywhere near E.Anglia( or Rutland.) :sungum: :jester:

K2 high.jpg

A view from a higher vantage point.

141 3.jpg

That's all for now - tea interval is over.

That K2 is a lovely beast, it'd be nice to see more of her. Would you mind awfully running a tape measure over the cab please? (height, width, rough window positions) It'd be a great help for me.

The layout looks great as always

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful shots there Gilbert, that A4 looks brilliant all shined up. Must be time for a few more freights to come through p'raps?

Hope things slow down for you, perhaps moving across to the Down Slow may be warranted...

Cheers

Tony

A lot happening at the moment, so little time for railways, but here are a few shots from the file to be going on with.

attachicon.gif504 5.jpg

Another shot, from a different angle, of 504 entering the station with the Up Glasgow.

attachicon.gif504 and 34 2 p.jpg

End of journey for 504, while Lord Faringdon's work is about to begin.

attachicon.gif504 light.jpg

504 moves forward to access the crossover to the Down Main.

attachicon.gif504 light 2.jpg

and now reverses towards New England shed, while the A4 moves out of the Up bay.

attachicon.gif34.jpg

and now stands waiting for the guard's whistle.

I thought there were more, but apparently not. It is several days since I took them, so I suppose it isn't surprising that I can't remember. :sad_mini: Next week is a lot quieter though, so hopefully I can do more then. Any requests?

Hi Gilbert

I have to say that third photos in your latest selection of Mons Meg running under the bridge is one of the best model railway photos I have see to date, absolutely fantastic.

Are you still using a Canon G12 to take your photos.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes